who's in charge of "soberrecovery@health.ibemail.com"? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sober since October 24, 1997

who's in charge of "[email protected]email.com"?

I get emails from [email protected] that are interesting and often insightful, which is sponsored by a private recovery facility. The Soberrecovery logo is displayed in the emails I get.

The articles and essays give readers a place for input, which is run by DISQUS that does reader input for a lot of other websites as well. The problem is that the reader input requires the reader's real name and facebook photo that is connected to twitter and facebook, and although I often have legitimate comments, there is no way I would ever make a comment via DISQUS, when who I am would be revealed without my control. I don't want what I say posted to where others on facebook will see it, my past history as an alcoholic is MY business and not to be plastered all over facebook and twitter. I also participate at other websites, where ALL my written content I have ever written on DISQUS is plainly visible to everyone.

Where Soberrecover is concerned, allowing DISQUS to have control of member input is a serious flaw in my opinion. Alcoholics Anonymous chose the word "anonymous" for a darned good reason. I don't want MY past history made known on the internet without my control.

So, what's the story with DISQUS and Soberrecovery being connected? Allowing it certainly stifles valuable input in my opinion.
Lautca
Lautca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lautca For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-17-2020), HeadEast (02-05-2020), venuscat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Internet Brands are the owners of the website.

Forum Staff are volunteers and only deal with the forums

I've made comments on articles before - by going directly to the article - and not had to give my name or FB details?

to test I just made a comment on an article - its still waiting to be approved but I wasn't asked to sign up for anything or give any information.

It may be different on mobile view - I'm on desktop view.

I'll direct your post to one of the owners representatives

D
Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Dee74, thanks for your response.

I'm using my home computer, and I'm not taking any shortcuts or using any third party sign-ins. It may be that where you are the rules that govern disclosure of personal content are different than in the United States.

To participate in the discussions linked to the SoberRecovery emails, there is no choice but to use DISQUS, and when one uses DISQUS, one has no choice but to use one's real name, information, and facebook or twitter photo. I can't sign in using "Lautca" and my SoberRecovery password, or any other SoberRecovery info.

Lautca.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lautca For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-17-2020), Dee74 (02-04-2020), least (02-05-2020), venuscat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

ah ok.

I go directly to the articles that come up here on our front page e.g.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/addict...al-depression/

I assume they are the same stories etc you're getting in your emails.
I don't get the emails, by personal choice.

I'm sure someone will be able to address your concerns

D
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dee74, before I forget, you sure help make this site go, and I appreciate it that you took the time you did with my question and comment. Thanks again!

Lautca
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lautca For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-17-2020), Dee74 (02-04-2020), HeadEast (02-05-2020), least (02-05-2020), venuscat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks Lautca

D
Old 02-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello!

I work with the website owners. You do not have to link your Facebook or provide any other identifying information to use Disqus. You can login using the same information you've been using to access the forum.

Here's an image that shows the button to log in using your SR account: https://www.screencast.com/t/8ZlnwdQ3HhNk

Thanks!
emily430 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to emily430 For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-17-2020), Anna (02-05-2020), Dee74 (02-05-2020), least (02-05-2020), venuscat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi emily430, I need to back up and explain more in detail. DISQUS does not require that I pre-sign up with twitter and/or facebook before I can comment for those SoberRecovery articles I receive by email. I just happen to be already signed up at facebook, and have been for probably 15 years. DISQUS links to those sites without permission, and removing one's self is next to impossible because the places in the user control panel at facebook are purposely hidden and constantly moved around, but that's another subject.

When I click on the link in my email to go to the sponsored SoberRecovery article, there is no place whatsoever to sign in, I am already pre-signed in under my real name as I am at facebook and in all the other unrelated sites where DISQUS handles the comments (cooking, farming, antique collecting, sports, politics), and there is nothing I can do to change it at the site, and there is no place to click on to go someplace else where I can change settings for SoberRecovery log-in. It is a "use it as a DISQUS member" or not at all. PERIOD. A picture is worth a thousand words, and I wish I could post a screen shot of what I'm talking about when I get to a SoberRecovery article via the link in a SoberRecovery email, but my real name would be in the screen shot and I don't have Photoshop to blank it out.

Everything I have ever written on DISQUS is always displayed on every one of the cooking, farming, antique collecting, sports, politics, and whatever, sites, with my real name on it. Readers at the antique collector site can go through and read what I wrote at the farm site, or any other site where DISQUS controls content and distribution. I certainly don't want my comments with my own experience with alcohol recovery known everywhere, including on facebook so my facebook associates can see it, etc!

Under that circumstance, I will not comment or contribute in the discussion regarding the SoberRecovery article, which is the problem I am trying to find a solution for.

As Dee74 already said above, I discovered that the same articles I receive email notices for appear here as well, which I did not know until yesterday, so I can participate here under my SoberRecovery anonymity. The emails should say they can be accessed here as well, and they don't!

But the problem still remains that there are others who receive the emails who may like to participate in such sensitive subjects, but do not want their employers or family to discover their history of alcohol or other substance use, or may not be aware that their name will get spread over the internet associated with their experience or thoughts on the subject.

BREAKING NEWS. I discovered just a few moments ago that when I re-opened my most recent SoberRecovery article email I received on February 4, when I again went to the linked site, DISQUS now has me listed under my user name here, "Lautca", instead of my real name, and I'd like to know how that happened, because yesterday when went to that site I was listed under my real name, which is what prompted me to make the enquiry in the first place.

But the problem I was having got solved anyway because now I can simply look up the articles here after I get the SoberRecovery emails, so that has all been taken care of via a different route.

I certainly thank you for taking the time for getting back to me. You who take care of things, and us, too, here at SoberRecovery are just the best, and I'm sure glad you are here!

Lautca
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lautca For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-17-2020), Anna (02-08-2020), least (02-06-2020), Opivotal (02-10-2020)