SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Shooting up Oxycontin..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/94491-shooting-up-oxycontin.html)

paramedic9742 05-21-2006 08:17 AM

Shooting up Oxycontin.....

I sure did not know that people could do this. I guess i am looking for some insight on this. I just got home from work and i had a patient this weekend who was shooting up oxycontin. I had to give him Narcan he was unresponsive he wrecked his truck lucky he did not kill someone. I dident know people where doing this. I learn something new everyday. So tell me does anyone here know about shooting up oxy? How fast does it work ect? For my job purposes only. It would be appreciated. I wonder what that stuff does to the veins. Oh and by the way I have still not taken any hydro its been 4 days now. I still cant believe i went 30 days and took a hydro but hey i am still trying again.................... So how is everyone else doing ? I would like to know. well i am going to crash for a bit its been a long weekend i am tired.

velvet 05-21-2006 08:21 AM

I know this one ****ing creep that shoots anything. He even shoots meth. I really don't know how he is still alive. (I can't really type the next sentence that is in my head...but the last word ryhmes with head.) Sorry I can't help you with any of the facts, though. There are some crazy people out there, looking for a higher, high than the last one.

Lbad 05-21-2006 08:43 AM

I used to shot up oxy. It was pretty much the same effect as shooting up heroin. It works in seconds. It was harder though because you have to get the pills, peel off the coating, break it down, add water, filter and inject. umm I am not sure what if any damage the oxy does to your veins. It is the needle that causes damage to your veins. The repeated use of a needle.

note to Velvet, in my case I shot up anything and everything I could get my hands on. I don't know if your reference to your friend being a creep was because he was an IV user or because of other things he did, but I did it because I am an addict who was lost, spiritually, emotionally and physically. I am clean 3 1/2 years now and I am not "lost" anymore. Some people's disease just takes them to a different bottom than others. We are all just humans struggling with our own issues. Patience and kindness are my way of life today.

angelgirl 05-21-2006 08:53 AM

There are some crazy people out there, looking for a higher, high than the last one.
Hey,

yeah,, there are people that will do anything for a higher high than the last one, it's sad, because eventually, their body can take no more, and it ends up being their last...
That guy was lucky, he didn't kill himself, or anyone else with his truck.
He was also lucky that you got there with the narcan. Not everyone has this luck, for either of these things, the accident, or the luck of narcan. They die.
So yep, he was a lucky guy, I sure hope when he really comes to, he realizes how lucky he really is. God was really watching over him.

It's great to hear from you Tine. It's really great to hear that you are doing well.

Day 4 is great!! :) Keep on Keepin on!!! :)

Prayers to you,,
Love,
Becky

paramedic9742 05-21-2006 10:24 AM

I am sorry to admit but before i became a addict when i worked on people who would do things like this i would call them freaks and crazysi had no sympathy for the drug seekers. Now i can relate to them i know how they feel when it comes to addiction. It has helped me to understand when it comes to my job being a paramedic. I am not so quick to judge I try to understand. Although they do hate me when i Give them the Narcan. I just take my cussing and go along. I believe i have been called every nasty thing in the book . I just have to remind myself i am here to save your ass not kiss your ass. I guess i dont know if i should share my work stories here when it comes to drugs.

Done_With_It 05-21-2006 10:43 AM

You guys, She's not saying that because of 'Him' shooting up, she's upset because of the "HORRIBLE" things the guy has done to her daughter.
It has nothing to do with the drugs he does or how he has done them.

I don't mean to talk for Velvet but just don't want you guys getting the wrong idea. Believe me she's the last one to judge anyone about them doing drugs.

northbelle 05-21-2006 06:37 PM

Crazy..yup...but also very SICk...I have put stuff in my viens that definitely should not go there...Oxy use is much like heroin..they call it hillbilly heroin up here...IV use is just a different method of ingestion..what makes it so much worse than smoking or oral? It has the same effect . I have had narcan several times. The last time the paramedic was sooo mad.."He said " I am so tired of trying to save your life while you are trying to end it"...IV use is dangerous..you can OD so easy..but a drug is a drug and no matter how we choose to use it...teh pain of active addiction is the same....I am so GLAD that you are out there helping others!! Pu t down the big stick that you are using to beat yourself up with..!! You are a winner!!
northbelle

velvet 05-21-2006 08:35 PM

Thanks for coming to my rescue Done. I don't judge anyone for being an addict. This person is not my friend. This person is someone who takes advantage of my daughter, a place to live, for free, steals money from her, and treats her poorly. Obviously she is an addict also. And obviously she allows this to happen. All because of drug use. It hurts me to see this happen to my daughter, when she is so good natured and kind. I don't like anyone that uses other people. Whether they are a drug addict or not.
But I think you must agree that some addicts look for a higher, high, than the last one.
And again, thanks Miss Done.

velvet 05-21-2006 08:55 PM

Paramedic, posting your stories, I think is great. You are doing a great service to others.
It is when some are quick to assume what someone posts, is when things become a problem.
Keep up the good work and stories...IMO

soulseeker 05-21-2006 10:26 PM

Paramedic...hope you're having a well deserved rest. The really scary thing about injecting oxycontin clinically speaking is that the dose is proportionately much higher because none of the drug is metabolized out by the liver, so the onset is almost immediate and the pills don't look that different be they 10 or 160 mg, just different colors. Very easy for people, especially relatively opiate naive ones, to OD with this drug. I know Purdue is trying to come up with a formulation such that the binders would render the drug ineffective if crushed, it must be really challenging though because they've been working on this for years. They did take a couple doses above 160 that used to be available off the market. Hopefully that guy you helped will get scared and get help. Thanks for being out there helping.

Christian 05-21-2006 11:32 PM

crushing pills, a terrible terrible trick I learned too early...

paramedic9742 05-22-2006 12:22 PM

wow thanks for letting me know about all of this. This is some very usefull knowledge. The guy i worked on was swearing he was never going to use again on the way to the hospital. You just never know. I swore i would never take another hydro but after 30 days i took a hydro damit. But i am clean again for 5 days. I was sure stunned when i heard he was shooting up oxy though i had never heard of it. Up until a few months ago i did not know people where shooting up xanax. Anyway ty all for appreciating the paramedics and for answering my questions. You all are great.