Notices

oxycodone withdrawal help!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I was at the Wal-Mart trying to park today and way out away from the store to what to my wandering eyes should appear.....two cars parked opposite from each other making a handoff. I'll bet it wasn't gum.

It reminded me of the constant hunt for pills, sometimes spending the whole day looking, calling, leaving messages, texting; well you all know the drill.

Total honesty was what finally broke the chains. I don't go to meetings, but I do read the "Big Book" all the time. I read the Bible as well. Everyone will have a program that suits them. The main thing, in my opinion, is to be honest in all your affairs. I can lay my head down and fall fast asleep knowing I gave my best effort.

You all have a great evening.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

FailedTaper...4-5 days...me too!

I hope you are feeling a little better each day. Now that your partner is supporting your efforts, it can be a little easier. I withheld what I was going through in the beginning as well. At some point, you can't just say "I don't feel well" anymore. Once the truth is there, someone who loves you will stand with you. Even though my partner is upset with the fact that I allowed myself to become dependent on such large doses of Oxy (and was warned all along), the support to quit completely is there. It is a bit of tough love mixed with compassion. Someone who has not experienced this has a tough time understanding why we aren't better sooner. Patience and love is all we can hope for and the outcome is the biggest payback.

Hope you are doing better.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Guys, I just wanted to post a heartfelt "thank you" for this thread. I kicked Oxycodone 14 days ago. Reading threads like this, have helped me make it through the day, and kept me going. Squarehead, I have also started going back to meetings (9 days sober today), as I was sober once before. Failedtaper and Marcus, I can so relate to your stories, thanks for sharing. I hope you are all successful in getting and staying off of this miserable drug. :0
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hey, you guys can do it! I promise.. It is a pita... I did a taper with the help of my husband... I just called my dr office and told them that I am off my meds! YAY!!! 21 days today... The only problems I still have is some cold chills, but that could be because I am too skinny... I also still have problems sleeping, but I've always had those problems.... I wake up about every hour for 6 hours, and then I'm awake... No PAWS as of yet that I've noticed...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, dopafiend

I hope you're feeling ok. I am just on day 6 and for the first time today I am starting to feel some small spark of my old energy.

Two years of hell is long enough for me -- I hope never to go through this again.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
FT

NeedMyLife -- how ya doin?

Hey,

You are about where I am it sounds like. I am on day 6 now off oxycodone, and feel a little better. But it is still on my mind all of the time. I know I would feel pretty good about an hour after a dose of pills -- why do I seem to forget how sick I felt later. My "feel good" only last maybe 2 hours, and then either I would take another dose, or look forward to the morning of the next day -- as the guys above said - they pills meant everything to me.

It got to where I was taking most of my day's allotment of pills before noon every day. So I would wake up around 5 am and take a dose and work on my computer in the dark until my husband woke up. Then I'd keep dosing myself all morning. In the afternoon, I would just flake out in front of the TV, unproductive, unmoving, deconditioning and gaining weight. I was getting sicker and sicker and didn't stop myself.

After awhile, the morning was the only "good" part of my day. Oh how good that first dose felt! What a delusion! Even at 6 days out, now, I'm starting to be able to see what I was doing more clearly and seeing how insane it was. I now just long to feel better. I haven't felt "normal" in over two years. (this all began with severe osteoarthritis, mostly the knees, bone on bone, then torn left meniscus, then total knee replacement knee one, then total knee replacement knee two, then total hysterectomy earlier this year)

I feel so rundown physically from all the surgery and deconditioning. Having said that, I don't regret the surgery. I just regret the pain management part and how I let myself lapse into addiction.

After pill counting, and that consuming my every waking moment, waiting for the next dose. Waiting for pharmacies to open. Going to different pharmacies and different prescribers. I do think I would find a street source next if I did not decide STOP NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN. Even though I had a 4 day taper down from 300 pills a month, I had hit a wall and was just unwilling to continue. I knew I had to stop.

Thankfully, my husband is being patient with me. When I felt better yesterday morning, he thought I was FINISHED WITH RECOVERY! He has never gone through this, doesn't understand how the physical part goes, not to mention the psychological insanity of pill counting and obsessing with the numbers and the access. OMG!

We had a BIG discussion yesterday afternoon, and I think he now understands this process will take some time. But at least now he knows my true situation and is my partner in recovery. If I didn't have him, I would probably really need someone, a sponsor, meetings, etc. I have considered meetings, but for now I don't think I will do that.

I hope you all are continuing in your recovery. Maybe my story can help someone else. It is SO weird to hear other people talk about pill counting, pharmacy waiting, obsessing, counting and recounting pills, the pills are your WHOLE DAY! That alone helps me understand it isn't just me who has fallen ill to this drug. Yes, some may do well with it. Maybe most. My husband thinks they should be able to design a drug as effective as oxy is for pain that does not cause addiction. I hope they do if I need another surgery. The prospect frightens me.

Take care.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

FailedTaper....day 6!

I am so glad you have someone with you to get through this. I am extremely grateful to have someone also. It is difficult for them to completly understand what this feels like for sure. I can't count how many times I heard, "you should be feeling better by now". Well...this just takes some time. Years of of the drug in our bodies really changes our chemistry - mental and physical.

Like you, that first dose in the morning was my day-starter. It really became the substitute for my alarm clock. I knew when I could get up and get going. Without it, I am in awe of folks who have drive without the help of something like that. But each day I try to think back to days before I started taking the drug and how driven I was back then! I did have energy and I got things done. I cared about my physical fitness and was a happy person. That vision is one of my biggest motivators now.

Funny you talk about future use of pain killers should you need surgery again. I have the very same fear! This neck surgery I had was great to rid me of my pain and I am totally happy I finally did it. I have been through other surgeries too (hysterectomy included), but never had to be on extended pain treatment. So if I ever have to go back for surgery again, then what? Can I simply tell them "no opiates"? Kind of like a medic alert for allergies. I don't know what other options they have but I will do anything to avoid the exposure again. I do not want to go through the pain of coming off again!!

So on this day 6 I am still fighting with diarhea and dehydration. I am drinking water and pedialite to try to "catch up" on my hydration. Yesterday I nearly passed out after standing up too quickly. I still feel the chest tightness now and then. Sleeping is ok, but it seems hard to get to sleep. Still waking around 2:30 for some reason. I am so looking forward to getting past this. I hope you and I continue to follow the path to freedom from this awful drug.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
FT

NeedMyLife, me too

Hi again,

Day 7 starting this morning, but not off to the best start. I slept horrible and woke up at 2 am wide awake. Watched a little TV and drank some juice, and after two hours dropped off to more fitful sleep. Now up. Surprised by stomach cramps and diarrhea, which I didn't have yesterday.

I too remember the days when I used to get up and into my day without pills, and I wish I had them this morning. Sad but true, and I don't have any and that is just too bad. Millions of other people get up without those pills. While using, I looked around in me awe of functioning people, LAUGHING people, who are these people? I also see the drug users on the bus, on the corner, I recognize them. Which group do I want to belong to.

My husband is still impatient with me, but is less likely to be upset if I don't feel good. I have something important to go to in two weeks and if I don't feel better by then, I'm worried I can't do it (a workshop).

Hour by hour, day by day. I really don't feel sick now, so I am hopeful for the day. Sleep has been a problem for me before the oxys, it just seems like it would help so much now.

Stay in tough w/ how you are. Keep sharing your stories, it helps.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

You both are doing great. Sleep issues are to be expected when coming off opiates. Every detox/rehab I have been to offered something non-habit forming to help sleep. If it keeps up see a doctor. Sleep is very important in early recovery - it is bad enough you feel like crap so no need to add in sleep deprivation.

NeedMyLife I laughed when you said you almost passed out from standing up too fast. I actually did do that once when I was about 2 days in. I was downstairs sleeping on the couch (go figure wife didn't want me in bed) and I got up to go to the bathroom and just blacked out. Fell hit my head off the tv and when I came too my wife was on the phone with 911. I told her I was alright and to cancel it, but once you call they have to come. So I had 3 EMS people hovered around me at 3am with my wife at her wits end. Ahh the things we do to our loved ones. I know you are both struggling a bit with your significant others, but we have to realize this is a big event for them too. Sure we are dealing with the physical crap, but it is pretty tramatic for them too.

Ahh yes the first dose of the day. Always the best one and the rest of the day you are chasing that feeling. Doesn't it suck that the very first thought on your mind when you wake up is "I've gotta take my pills?!?!?" What a crappy way to go through life. The saying "I have a monkey on my back" more like a 600 pound gorilla!

Well keep up the good work. The depression should start to lift and you can start keeping food down. Amazing how important the little things become. For me the stomach/gi issues continued for several weeks, but got a little better every day. Just be grateful the hell of active addiction is one more day behind you.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  
FT

Ugh, stomach cramps again

Geez, and I thought DAY 3 was over the hump day. This feels weird, stomach cramps, loose stools. Took some loperamide, which I haven't needed since the first few days. I am disappointed by how I feel this morning, but I will just ride this through. I have an appointment with the doctor who was tapering me before I ran myself out of pills last week. I am going to tell him I quit and no longer want to taper.

I think I'm just tired right now. The thing that keeps me from sleeping is the restless body, restless legs thing -- can't lie down, can't sit up, can't lie down, can't stand to walk around because I feel weak. Geez this drug must have been eating me up it if feels this bad to stop using it.

Others have probably been through this. I wonder if my stomach problems will continue to plague me for a long time. Don't like this at all.

DAY 7 off the drug today, though, has got to be a good thing.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

This day has gotten better!

This 6th day clean for me started a little slow (but better than yesterday). I actually got out and drove for the first time since my surgery too. The driving was actually pleasant I think only because I was focused and not just a passenger. I never really like being just a passenger anyway. Always made me sleepy.

Anyway, I went up to the drug store to pick up some medicine for one of my sons. I ALSO picked up some Airborne. I had looked at the ingredients and realized that there is stuff in there that can help with withdrawal symptoms. Look it up and see. The amino acids are there as well. I have also been trying to hydrate as best I can. I think I finally caught up. I am now convinced that the dehydration causes much of the lethargy and blah. Pedialite and water has been my choice. The Pharmacist also told me that there is a Pedialite strip available (in the baby section) for those having problems keeping the fluids down. It simply disolves under your tongue. Never heard of it and there weren't any at the store I was in.

I tried taking one OTC sleeping pill a couple of nights. It didn't seem to help so I am not doing that anymore. You know the worst thing is that my body doesn't feel comfortable when I lie down. If it is just my muscles being tight, I do have muscle relaxers (not dopey ones like flexeril). It almost seems like my head wants to sleep but my body doesn't. Hopefully they will sync up soon.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
FT

Can't hold still when I lie down

Hey,

I related to the uncomfortable body thing. Even when I'm really tired, I get antsy when I try to lie down. My whole body wants to wriggle and move around. As I said, can't lie down, can't sit up, can't walk around. I think I should go take a walk, but I still feel so weak.

I made an appt for a physical next Monday. I hope this drug hasn't screwed with my kidneys or liver. I don't know much about the poisoning effects of this drug.

Yes, Marcus, your comments are very helpful. Someone who has gone through this before can tell us there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The past week, my day 7 now, would fit a bell curve pretty well with the symptoms of withdrawal peaking around day 3-4, better and better since then, but little spikes of symptoms like today's stomach cramps and diarrhea that I thought were gone now.

There is a website about opiate withdrawal that I found that lists all the symptoms and what to expect. It mostly tries to sell you vitamins and herbs, which I have not bought, but the guide they supply is useful.

This too shall pass.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
FT

Day 9

Hi all,

I am now on day 9 off oxycodone. Every day is a little different. I still have almost no energy at all, but the stomach cramps and diarrhea are gone.

The hardest part for me right now is that I have yet to regain any sense of generalized peace and well being. I want to wriggle out of my skin. Not restless less, just not comfortable. I tried to go to sleep last night and could NOT lie still. Wriggle, stretch, sit up, lie down, wriggle and stretch, turn over, wriggle and stretch again. It was awful. I finally gave up after about a half hour, watched TV until I couldn't keep my eyes open, and then went through the whole routine again.

A pill would stop that feeling instantly. Which I am not going to do. I just wonder if this antsy thing is still the drug withdrawal, or maybe this is just what it feels like to be "normal" for me.

I can barely stand this, and its as bad as the psychological cravings I still have. I know I'm just a short time out, but I'm getting scared that when I have to go back to work in a week and a half I'll still be feeing like this, and I can barely tolerate it.

Even as I sit here this morning, I feel such unease. I hate this feeling! Has anyone else gone through this part? I hadn't expected this particular symptom.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Hi Failedtaper,

Getting sober and staying sober have turned into 2 very real and seperate issues for me. I thought the first 5 days were tough, but that general feeling of uneasiness has stuck with me, and it is a real bitch. At day 9 I was still, for lack of a better term, crawling out of my skin. Today is day 12 sober, and day 16 off of the oxy, and I can honestly say it is has gotten progressively, a whole lot better.

The best decision I made was going back to a 12 step program. This is the part that is helping me to "stay sober". There are rooms filled with people just like you and me whose only desire is not to hurt and suffer from drugs and alcohol anymore. It has given me hope, and helped me work through the nuttiness that is going one between my 2 ears in the past couple of weeks.

Hang in there!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat, I've been addicted to a mix of percs, vics, oxys, whatever was available, for the past 7 or 8 months. I've tried quitting a few times, just cold turkey, and I couldn't, plus I still had pills available to me. Yesterday, I ran out at 2pm, so later on that night, I went to the ER to speak with a doctor about my options because I've read enough about the withdrawal symptoms to be scared ********. I was up to about 80 mg a day of percs. So the ER doctor gave me four prescriptions to take the edge off the symptoms. They've been working so far, it obviously doesn't feel like opiates, but at least I don't feel like I'm crawling out of my skin, with hot and cold flashes, the sweating...ugh..

I think you should go see your doctor and talk to him/her about it. They'll probably give you a few scripts to help you out. The one's I got were a smooth muscle relaxer for stomach cramping/problems; a blood pressure medication (clonodine?) which seems to be really helping with the restlessness and unbearable feelings; a tranquilizer type pill to help with restlessness and sleeping; and a medicine for nauseau. They've made the biggest difference...I feel a little 'doped up'; just dizzy and out of it, tired, but this is way better than what I would be feeling like if i had nothing.

So I think you should really just talk to your doctor, soon...it'll make your experience a little better I believe.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  
FT

Hang in there

Yes,

I am doing okay, better now. Took a shower and ate some toast.

My head is clearing in a weird way, like I don't even remember what it was like to be able to think straight.

And I thought the oxy's were giving me the well being I needed to function. Ha! When I was up to 300 pills a month, they only made me sicker and sicker.

After a while the poisons kick in, but you still want the drug. I can't believe I ever let this happen to me. This drug is so toxic.

Now to train the dopamine receptors to like the new kind of stimulation from eating right, exercising, etc.

If I can help you get through the first few days, please post. I look on here every day. I don't profess to be a rehab counselor, but I can tell you how the symptoms will ebb and flow, and you WILL get through this. You will be so much better off doing this, and GOOD FOR YOU to ask for medical help. I didn't, but I'm having a physical on Monday next.

Please have a great holiday, not using, for the first time in a long time.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
FT

Swelling in ankles from oxycodone? DAY 10 off oxy!

Hi all,
I am now on Day 10 off oxycodone. I still have NO energy. No more stomach cramps though.

I want my energy back.

I gained 40 pounds since I tore my right meniscus the first time, with my weight creeping up more after I tore my left meniscus in 2008. That led to my total knee replacements, both knees, within 3 months of each other, then the hysterectomy this year.

All this made my weight creep up and up as my oxycodone habit became worse and worse. And I thought the oxy was giving me energy. Ha!

At first, I did feel more energetic on the oxycodone, because it didn't hurt to move. However, the toxic effects of high doses reduced me down to slug level activity and more weight gain.

I wonder -- has anyone else ever experienced weight gain, and swelling of the ankles, while on oxycodone. I think it has at least contributed to those things.

Now that I am off, I am looking to getting my energy back and taking off the weight I have gained. After all, I have two new knees! I could NOT walk more than a few steps with my bone on bone osteoarthritis in both knees. I still have pain now, and I can tell I have fake knees because they don't work like real knees, but - HEY! - now I can walk.

I really wish the doctors would warn people about addiction when they give a drug like oxy. NO ONE warned me I could become addicted to this drug. They would just get mad when I asked for more, and tell me most people aren't still in pain at 6 weeks postop. Well, I was, but I would have been less likely to get addicted if someone had called me on my use. The pain clinic doctor DID call me on my use, but refused to help me taper. Gave me 90 pills, and said "go find another doctor." I did.

Well, that story is above. Ultimately, though, it us up to the PERSON to control themselves, and I did not. I hurt people and did not realize I was until I look back more clearly now.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

wow

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Geez, and I thought DAY 3 was over the hump day. This feels weird, stomach cramps, loose stools. Took some loperamide, which I haven't needed since the first few days. I am disappointed by how I feel this morning, but I will just ride this through. I have an appointment with the doctor who was tapering me before I ran myself out of pills last week. I am going to tell him I quit and no longer want to taper.

I think I'm just tired right now. The thing that keeps me from sleeping is the restless body, restless legs thing -- can't lie down, can't sit up, can't lie down, can't stand to walk around because I feel weak. Geez this drug must have been eating me up it if feels this bad to stop using it.

Others have probably been through this. der if my stomach problems will continue to plague me for a long time. Don't like this at all.

DAY 7 off the drug today, though, has got to be a good thing.
Reading your blog is like reading what I am feeling. I was on oxcodone for 3 months just at night I took 4 pills of 5/325. I never even thought I was addicted until I tried to go to bed and I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. Sitting tossing turning taking many bathes. And still no sleep. Trying to function at work and keeping my secret. This is day two and I still can't cant stand to be touched or loved. How long will this take? No pills for two days and i wanna scream
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
FT

Day 15 and counting

Hey babydoll,

I'm now on Day 15 or so, now beginning to forget exactly how many hours and days.

Sleep is still a huge issue for me. In fact, it's 2 am and I am wide awake. Not so much creepy crawly this minute, but if I try to lie down, the feelings will come back.

My theory is that your brain on oxy likes the "feel good" when you lie down, just sink into the pillow and nothing hurts, nothing is wrong with the world, ah peace. Unfortunately, no drug can give you that cloud feeling for an extended period, I found out. Take comfort in that you were on a brief time for a relatively small dose. My use started small, then grew and grew and grew. I needed more and more oxy to get the same nice feeling. Then, I needed more and more oxy just to feel "normal", not even "nice". In fact, my ONLY "nice" feelings from oxy seemed to be the first morning dose, and then it would only last an hour or so before I would need more.

I think my creepy crawlies at night are starting to quiet down, but I don't have that lying in a cloud to sleep feeling any more that my brain craves. I no longer fall asleep easily. I don't know what to do about that, because I know from past history that I start feeling really bad if I don't sleep for a few days.

Like I said, it's now around 2 am where I am, and I am up awake next to husband, typing this on my laptop. I hope to get tired enough doing this over the next hour to be able to fall back asleep.

Post again, or private message me if you want. I'm happy to share my road back to sanity off oxycodone. This drug is truly a nightmare, at least it has been for me. I read here and there how someone feels like their life is made possible by its use, and I worry for that person. I felt that way a year ago. I could not imagine my life again without it. I really thought I had found the "wonder drug". Finally, a drug that makes me feel happy and out of pain, and I can FUNCTION. Ha. Believe that at your peril.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I just came across this forum because I am tired of being a drug addict. First of all, I want to say to everyone who kicked this habit how impressed I am because it seems almost impossible (especially when you have access to these pills). Here's my story...
Around 8-9 years ago I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's stage 4. I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks. When I got out, my doc prescribed me Morphine pills. After taking them for a couple of days, I noticed how good I'd feel when I took them. Then it hit me...it was because of these pills. Anyway, I was getting better, and my doctor knew it, but I got him to refill my script 2 or 3 times. When he wouldn't refill anymore, that was that. I don't remember having any WD symptoms or anything, just the end of the "happy while doing anything" feeling I would get from them...
Skip to one year later. I met a girl who becomes my girlfriend of 2 years. We'd all go out on the weekends, her friends and mine. Her and I weren't into drinking so one weekend she steals some of her mothers pain meds (she had a bad back) and brings them over (she'd spend the weekends here). Needless to say, I took whatever she brought over whether it was percs, oxys, whatever, just bc I'd remember how the Morphine made me feel. I'd probably take 3-5 pills every Sat/Sun. This went on for over a year. Weekend warriors we were. Eventually her and I break up and that was the end of the pills again. I guess I didn't get withdrawals because of only taking them over the weekends. This was around 6-7 years ago.
Since then I'd only pop 2-4 percs for one day every couple of months whenever they'd fall into my lap. No big deal... up until around a year ago....
Now I'm with my current girlfriend of around 2.5 years. Her best friends husband sells them who she sees regularly so now I have access to them frequently. I'd tell her to pick some up for me now and then and she would. After a few months, she asked me to stop because someone in her family was an addict (vicadin) and she didnt want me ending up the same way. After many fights I told her I'd stop....but never did. So, for the last year, I have finally gotten addicted and it's completely out of control. I've been buying them from her friends husband (secretly of course), and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on them. I ended up getting a nice sum of money from when I was sick from a malpractice suit and that money is quickly disappearing. On average, I will take 5 30mg Roxy's a day. A buddy of mine is also addicted, so when I cant score from my normal dude, my friend gets from his guy and viceversa. I have literally taken Roxicodone, Oxycontin, or Percocets every single day for almost a year (with an exception of 4 days when there was nothing around... and this was around 4 months ago). Those 4 days were hell. Hot/cold sweats. Diarreah. Anxiety.Feeling lost. Restless leg syndrome. Not wanting to do ANYTHING but lay on the couch. Today I wake up with ONE 30mg Roxy left and I start panicking. I chop it in half and take it. I wait an hour or so and take another half. Even still, I'm starting to feel the symptoms again. Now, 10 hours later, my guy calls me and tells me he has. I shoot over to his house (makes it even harder because he lives 2 minutes away), grab 40 10 mg Percs and down 4 right away. I really want to kick this habit for good and think I can. I don't work so I wouldn't need an excuse like calling in sick for a week while I kick. Main problem is my girlfriend. I cant just come out and tell her "listen honey, I've lied to you for the last year and have been high every single time I've been with you so I'm going to quit and I need you to leave me alone while I kick this habit for a week or so." I know I'm rambling and I'm sorry. I don't even get the same effect I used to from them. Now, I feel like I'm just taking them to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. My memory is shot. I don't remember conversations for a day or two before, everything's always foggy, I can't think straight. I used to take them and be very productive, very sociable and happy and always wanting to be around other people. Now, it's the exact opposite. I am very moody, always want to be left alone, etc. But still, I can't imagine being happy doing anything without them. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for listen to me ramble on.