Notices

Insomnia

Old 03-07-2023, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

I have finally quit. Night one of day one and terrible insomnia.. is this normal..? I hope it doesn’t last. I ran through my head for a spare pill.. hoping I had one to help me sleep. I don’t.. I quit - quit.. so I’m done anyway. I simply want to be happy and sober.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back CM,J

My drug was booze mostly but I think insomnia is pretty common Josh.
I used to get no sleep the first night, then a little more the second night, and so on.

Took me 10 days or so to get back to a normal sleeping rhythm

I hope things will level out soon

D
Old 03-08-2023, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The pounding and racing heart.. and nonstop racing thoughts. I just want to sleep
Old 03-08-2023, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit alcohol last year.. now quitting pills. Finally.. finally. This thine I feel better. I feel like when I quit alcohol. I had to come full circle and see that alcohol and pills don’t help me. They don’t work, and I clearly cannot be normal or happy with them. So quitting and truly staying away. I never had this feeling of NOT wanting either of them.. I do now.. one day at a time. I managed some sleep. Just trying to keep the racing heart and racing thoughts under control.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You got this!

Do you have a meeting you can go to? Maybe it’d help to have a place to vent out some of those racing thoughts.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tonight will be better for you Josh

D
Old 03-09-2023, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I listen to hypnotherapy sleep videos on my phone as I am falling asleep.
They are available online and are free.
They run for an hour and anything up to to 8 hours.
Some focus on depression, addiction, anxiety and worries.
I had to find ones where I could tolerate the voice, so you might want try a few before you give up.
I hope it helps
Old 03-10-2023, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 4.

doing much better. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions..

i have been having glimpses of happiness that I felt when I was a kid.. gives me a bit of inspiration knowing my brain is trying to revert and deal without artificial happiness, you know, the kind that comes in a bottle.

im not a good alcoholic, nor am I a high functioning addict. I’m selfish and sad. No more.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My biggest hurdle at the moment is not being used to doing things while not using. Anything I do.. i immediately think “man I need a pill first” or “I can’t deal with this sober.”

Old 03-10-2023, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those thoughts will fade Josh - keep going man

D
Old 03-10-2023, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sincerely hope so.. this is what typically causes me to relapse. I don’t want to.. I’ve handled stuff in the past few days sober and I see it’s possible.. I really want to enjoy hobbies again too. I see them and the first thought is “not now, after a few pills.” But why not? Because I’m not high? I mean.. simple as video games. I can’t seem to find the interest.. of course playing with family - they love it.. I need to for them.. hopefully I will find them fun sober.

those thoughts.. and finding things fun.. while sober.. struggling.. but I know each minute is a minute closer to sober happiness.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The temperature fluctuations and irritability are getting to be annoying. However, I know once I’m through the stage I never have to go through it again. One minute I’m hot the next time cold and shivering that I’m sneezing, and I am incredibly easily angered. I know the grammar wasn’t very well written in that last sentence, that is another issue I’m dealing with not being able to phrase things correctly. Everyone seems so happy sober. I just want that too.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also forgot to mention that a week or so ago while using I had to have gone to the bathroom and lost 3 pounds of fluid. Today I think I’ve lost 2 pounds of solids. I understand this is disgusting and a bit taboo, but I’m sure I’m not the only one whose body is resetting while they get clean. As I stated before, I simply want to enjoy things, be happy, be sober and be of monks, the group of people that truly seem happy and healthy sober. I’ve taken all the pills and drank all the bottles, and that just doesn’t give me the true happiness. I think everyone deserves, it is very artificial and fleeting. As you’re back to the bottle to Chase that happiness.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Josh,

Day 6-7 is still pretty early…this is not the best it’s going to get man.
I hope you’ll start to feel better soon

D

Old 03-12-2023, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Emotions are all over the place.. really high highs for a small period of time and then back to normal lows.. it is early.. but definitely a struggle. I never want to do this again.

Happiness doesn’t come in a bottle, only from within.. I don’t think my brain chemistry is able to make any happiness at the moment.. it’s a little messed up.

I have started walking. My dog loves it. I just want to be normal. I can’t help but think of people never being normal or taking years for their brains chemistry to return to normal. My immediate thought is “Yep! That’s me! I’m so f’d!”

I‘m hopeful for days when my brains chemistry isn’t so…negative and depressing.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have to find a better mental attitude.. a better positive mental attitude.. a better way to see and interact, to interface with the world. I just don’t know how..at the moment.

I need to get to a place where I am “stable” and not leaning on drugs or alcohol to make me happy enough to get out of bed.

So how do I do that? I just quit pills and alcohol. Hahaha. I have to laugh about this.. a week ago I would have drank to the idea.

what will me in a week say or do?

here’s to hoping it’s something positive.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it probably will be.
Not all days are awesome now I'm sober but all days are with awesome in sight, if that makes sense?

D
Old 03-13-2023, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes Dee, it does.

today’s thoughts have been “how can I get some more pills? Maybe I should have a drink.. I’d feel better.” I immediately tell myself I am doing this to be healthier and not reliant on a bottle to be “normal.” Like addressing a negative thought and replacing it with a positive one. I feel silly, ridiculous, having to tell myself “no, don’t do drugs” scolding myself like a bad dog..
Old 03-14-2023, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I’m not scolding myself I’m convincing myself to not try and get more pills. It’s frustrating.. idle thoughts revert back to “let’s get high.. we will be happy then..”
Old 03-14-2023, 04:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would swing like that too, Josh. Its pretty normal I think the early days.
The truth is we both have a mountain of evidence that high does not mean happy...not being high might just do the trick

D