Notices

A new life after PAWS

Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new life after PAWS

I'm posting again to update my journey, since I have made a considerable step, I am 29 years old moving out into another city and trying to grow professionally. I was a gay man living in a conservative rural area before and it didnt have a lot of potential so now I'm taking a leap of faith, I was just tired of living there! Backstory I used to use this forum a lot when I first had PAWS four years ago, and never would've thought this would be doable back then. Two years ago I though I recovered but smoked marijuana and it triggered something that made PAWS symptoms come back. They have never really subsided but gotten better. It is like my brain is sensitive now to multiple substances. I can not longer consume alcohol coffee or take antibiotics without symptoms flaring up. It royally sucks !

Things have gotten better. A little. I've learned a lot about myself over the last four years. More than I ever learned in high school or expensive college where I wasted lots of time doing drugs. It has been a real test on my character and my sanity. Insomnia, crippling anxiety, mild hallucinations, horrible nightmares, depression, feeling like I was high for no reason, feeling like I was having a stroke. So much suffering. The pain I've gone through feels overwhelming looking back but I made it. I still have symptoms, but they are more mild now.

I mourn the loss of my old life. I think of the direction I was going and think now, what could have been if I didn't have PAWS? Would it had been positive? Would I have become more of an addict? I was more of a binge person, never really thought of myself having a problem until PAWS hit. Maybe PAWS was the sign I needed. I really took so much for granted, I was so careless and stupid! Looking at my old life and the past I feel truly sorry. I used to be very social but now it exhausts me, so I am more withdrawn. I really feel like I blew it, and theres no getting my old brain back. I fantasize about being able to go back in time sometimes, the pain feels so bad. I miss the feeling of feeling young and invincible, but maybe that is normal. The bright side is I found out who my true friends are and have learned the value of patience and determination.

Going forward i plan to continue my sober lifestyle, symptoms will improve hopefully more, and trying to find some sense of meaning and purpose again in my life I thought I had, that was robbed from me by my own substance abuse and selfishness. Thank you to people on here who have given me advice over these past four years. I am very grateful for your wisdom. I may update again in a year or so, until then I wish everyone the best.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear from you Thompson and glad things are improving.

I hope they'll continue to improve so that you won't feel a sense of loss anymore but a sense of excitement and promise about your future.

Have faith that can and will happen.
No one else knows what your best life looks like but you.

Build a sober life you love

D
Old 08-04-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad to hear from you Thompson and glad things are improving.

I hope they'll continue to improve so that you won't feel a sense of loss anymore but a sense of excitement and promise about your future.

Have faith that can and will happen.
No one else knows what your best life looks like but you.

Build a sober life you love

D

Good to hear from you as well, D. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries

D
Old 08-07-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thompson21 View Post
I'm posting again to update my journey, since I have made a considerable step, I am 29 years old moving out into another city and trying to grow professionally. I was a gay man living in a conservative rural area before and it didnt have a lot of potential so now I'm taking a leap of faith, I was just tired of living there! Backstory I used to use this forum a lot when I first had PAWS four years ago, and never would've thought this would be doable back then. Two years ago I though I recovered but smoked marijuana and it triggered something that made PAWS symptoms come back. They have never really subsided but gotten better. It is like my brain is sensitive now to multiple substances. I can not longer consume alcohol coffee or take antibiotics without symptoms flaring up. It royally sucks !

Things have gotten better. A little. I've learned a lot about myself over the last four years. More than I ever learned in high school or expensive college where I wasted lots of time doing drugs. It has been a real test on my character and my sanity. Insomnia, crippling anxiety, mild hallucinations, horrible nightmares, depression, feeling like I was high for no reason, feeling like I was having a stroke. So much suffering. The pain I've gone through feels overwhelming looking back but I made it. I still have symptoms, but they are more mild now.

I mourn the loss of my old life. I think of the direction I was going and think now, what could have been if I didn't have PAWS? Would it had been positive? Would I have become more of an addict? I was more of a binge person, never really thought of myself having a problem until PAWS hit. Maybe PAWS was the sign I needed. I really took so much for granted, I was so careless and stupid! Looking at my old life and the past I feel truly sorry. I used to be very social but now it exhausts me, so I am more withdrawn. I really feel like I blew it, and theres no getting my old brain back. I fantasize about being able to go back in time sometimes, the pain feels so bad. I miss the feeling of feeling young and invincible, but maybe that is normal. The bright side is I found out who my true friends are and have learned the value of patience and determination.

Going forward i plan to continue my sober lifestyle, symptoms will improve hopefully more, and trying to find some sense of meaning and purpose again in my life I thought I had, that was robbed from me by my own substance abuse and selfishness. Thank you to people on here who have given me advice over these past four years. I am very grateful for your wisdom. I may update again in a year or so, until then I wish everyone the best.
you will recover again Thompson. That’s a promise. But you now need to accept that you need to cut out all drugs that have a sedating effect on the brain. Caffeine is a bit different as it is a stimulant but if you are anxious it will make things feel worse. Best cut down on that until you stabilise. You should be ok to reintroduce it later.