Notices

Sugar withdrawal

Old 05-05-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar withdrawal

Okay I quit large amounts processed sugar in the form of a 2 liter bottle of cola a day which had maintained since I quit alcohol 322 days ago (Sobriety is still great). I'm currently at day 19 without any cola but I'm still not feeling right, I'm still getting headaches, gassy stomach and feeling week. I had a blood test to check for diabetes which I am surprised came back okay. I lost 13 pounds on the first week of quitting and 3 on the second week. I just still don't feel right, I have had my Blood pressure medication increased slightly as the reason I quit was a health scare that caused by eating (I didn't know at the time) 4 packets of high salt noodles, the blood pressure is down to normal now but I still don't feel right. I've been to AE twice because I was worried I was going to die but they did ECG and blood and everything come back fine.I am getting cravings for the cola still.Has anyone else gone through this?
Old 05-05-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you cut out all caffeine and sugar or just the cola? Caffeine withdrawal is a bear.

Sugar withdrawal should dissipate in a couple days, at least it did for me...but then I never quit sugar completely, just cut way back. I mean, all carbs are treated the same in the body.

It's more likely the lack of caffeine. Are you trying to get off caffeine, or just processed sugar?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Did you cut out all caffeine and sugar or just the cola? Caffeine withdrawal is a bear.

Sugar withdrawal should dissipate in a couple days, at least it did for me...but then I never quit sugar completely, just cut way back. I mean, all carbs are treated the same in the body.

It's more likely the lack of caffeine. Are you trying to get off caffeine, or just processed sugar?

I've quit ALL caffeine. Cola was my main source though. I occasionally had an energy drink before the lock down and a coffee, I haven't touched either of those since the lockdown which has been over a month now, but I've only been off the cola for 19 days. I'm not mentally coping with the lockdown anymore and wonder if it could be stress.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't most soda's contain caffeine? Additionally, artificial sweeteners are used. In the U.S., this includes aspartame and acesulfame potassium. I'm sure your body is going through some measure of detox. Combine that with stress and your symptoms make sense. Exercise and drink lots of water and the symptoms will vanish or at the very least lessen.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
Don't most soda's contain caffeine? Additionally, artificial sweeteners are used. In the U.S., this includes aspartame and acesulfame potassium. I'm sure your body is going through some measure of detox. Combine that with stress and your symptoms make sense. Exercise and drink lots of water and the symptoms will vanish or at the very least lessen.

Cola does contain caffeine, unless it's the non caffeine version but I was just drinking the normal version. It's just I'm reading conflicting reports saying withdrawal of caffeine should be 7-9 days and others saying over a month depending on how much and how often and long consumption had been occurring. Sugar is saying conflicting things too from a few days to two weeks to a month.
I know stress is probably playing a role, but the fact that I'm autistic and suffer from anxiety isn't helping.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My best advice came from a health and fitness forum:

Don't Google symptoms. There are 10 million hits for every question and if you are trying to get the absolutely 100% Correct answer, there truly isn't one.

We are all slightly different and react to changes in our diet and drugs in different ways. Everyone is super stressed right now. Life is very complicated and scary at the moment for all of us.

Hang on! I think it's great you've quit caffeine and the cola. I haven't had a fizzy soda-pop type drink since I quit drinking - six years ago.

It's probably just anxiety. ( I say "Just" anxiety, but I know it's hard.)

For what it's worth, I'm a bundle of nerves right now, too. I just got back from the grocery and by the time I quarantine my food, change all the packages, wash everything and get organized again it takes me three hours to do my monthly grocery shop, and I don't even know if I'm safe after all that. I'm also really hungry! Eating will help me a lot.

You're not alone in the factor.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John
I'm with Bim hang in there. When I quit drinking 2l of cola a day like you I had headaches for about a week but that was it.D
Old 05-06-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi John
I'm with Bim hang in there. When I quit drinking 2l of cola a day like you I had headaches for about a week but that was it.D

Then I'm guessing it must be stress and anxiety then?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was simply my experience
I'm not a doctor which is why I'm reticent to give you a diagnosis John lol
If you think it could be stress and anxiety...yeah - it might be.
Might be meds related too if you're fiddling with dosages. I really don't know.
Do you have a regular doctor or therapist you could talk to - maybe on the phone or teleconference?
D
Old 05-07-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That was simply my experience
I'm not a doctor which is why I'm reticent to give you a diagnosis John lol
If you think it could be stress and anxiety...yeah - it might be.
Might be meds related too if you're fiddling with dosages. I really don't know.
Do you have a regular doctor or therapist you could talk to - maybe on the phone or teleconference?
D

I think I am getting better but I'm still getting acidy which causes heartburn which causes muscular pain. I'm taking 30mg lanzoprosole for the acid, so I'm just hoping it is just my stomach needs time to heal due to all the acid from the cola.
I have phoned my doctor up for reasurrance, but there is only so much he can do for me at the moment due to the virus.