Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Alexithymia: The Unsung Culprit of Depression and Addiction

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Processing and managing emotions is an essential part of a successful treatment plan that includes talk therapy. For some people, though, “How do you feel?” is an impossible question to answer."
Source: https://www.soberrecovery.com/addict...and-addiction/

As a functional drug addict, I thought I had in all under control. You could say I did intellectually, but not so much emotionally. All addictions serve an emotional purpose. Human behavior is driven by our emotions. Addictions are like a emotional hungry baby crying. The screaming doesn’t mean the baby is bad, it means they have an unmet need. Similarly, addiction is a signal of a deep unmet need. The solution is not to put tape over the baby’s mouth, to ignore your addictions or turn a blind eye. The solution is to discover what that need is and to meet the underlying need.

Baby's expect life to meet their demands. Adults learn to meet the demands of life. No one gets addicted to a substance or behavior unless they have learned it does something for them. The antidote is to realize our addictions are behaviors used to regain control of our emotions, our feelings. Addictions temporarily empower us! We need to learn new behaviors that empower us to regain control in direct healthy ways. While easier said than done, the choice is ours. Learn a better life, choose a better life.