Notices

Advice Please - Oxy

Old 10-22-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Advice Please - Oxy

Hello all. Looking for some advice here.

I use 40 - 50mg of Oxy a day. I have a boring job (working at home) and I find it just gives me a lift.

I would say I have suffered from mild, low lying depression all my adult life but never chronically. I have alway found life fundamentally boring.

I have also never been addicted to any other substance (despite trying pretty much everything over the years). I am a male, 48 years of age.

My question is this - is there any reason I shouldn't keep on this way? The dosage has not increased in a year, nor do I crave more. It keeps my mood alert, helps with appetite regulation, alcohol intake is lower (always a moderate to high drinker without being a problem drinker), sleep is better, helps with creativity and may other seemingly positive benefits.

Definitely there is some physical addiction - I took my son away for a week in the summer and didn't take any pills - had a bit of trouble sleeping (RLS included) and felt somewhat gloomy in patches but really nothing too bad. Was only when I was in the car home that I started to think - ten mins till Oxy!

Anyone else relate to this or can offer any words of wisdom?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by nektar View Post
My question is this - is there any reason I shouldn't keep on this way?
I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place if you are looking for permission to continue to use oxy in the midst of an opiate crisis. This is an abstinence-based recovery forum.

My advice, since you did state you are looking for some, is quit the oxy and seek treatment--if needed--for your depression.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place if you are looking for permission to continue to use oxy in the midst of an opiate crisis. This is an abstinence-based recovery forum.

My advice, since you did state you are looking for some, is quit the oxy and seek treatment--if needed--for your depression.
^^^the best advice^^^^
Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello all. Looking for some advice here.

I use 40 - 50mg of Oxy a day. I have a boring job (working at home) and I find it just gives me a lift.

I would say I have suffered from mild, low lying depression all my adult life but never chronically. I have alway found life fundamentally boring.

I have also never been addicted to any other substance (despite trying pretty much everything over the years). I am a male, 48 years of age.

My question is this - is there any reason I shouldn't keep on this way? The dosage has not increased in a year, nor do I crave more. It keeps my mood alert, helps with appetite regulation, alcohol intake is lower (always a moderate to high drinker without being a problem drinker), sleep is better, helps with creativity and may other seemingly positive benefits.

Definitely there is some physical addiction - I took my son away for a week in the summer and didn't take any pills - had a bit of trouble sleeping (RLS included) and felt somewhat gloomy in patches but really nothing too bad. Was only when I was in the car home that I started to think - ten mins till Oxy!

Anyone else relate to this or can offer any words of wisdom?

Thanks
You have a choice to abstain, moderate or abuse. You are moderating at this time. I would get your doctors opinion on titrating to abstinence and learning to deal with life au natural. Those gloomy patches you experienced with abstinence, can vanish forever. People do this all the time with opioids.

Remember, you will stop desiring substances and change your behavior if you see more happiness in the change than in the using.
Choose a better life, choose your best life.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Carls blunt but he's right.

Oxy is not a tenable long term treatment for depression IMO - it's highly addictive, often lethal, and I daresay everyone who's ever been on it said at some point it never caused them a problem...until one day it does,

There must be better healthier life affirming ways to 'get a lift'

D
Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for the replies

I do not recall asking for permission to do anything? But I do appreciate the words written.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

I believe my depression is not treatable as I believe it is not chemical but experiental - I simply do not see much in life to get excited about. After nearly 5 decades I do not see that changing.

But I appreciate the kind words and sentiment contained within.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

All we can share is our experience Nektar - my advice is to not go any further down this road.

I'm disabled so I have had reasons to be depressed all my life too - I used to drink under the 'if you had my life you'd drink too' manifesto.

What started as an aid to life became an anchor.

Sure alcohols, not oxy, but addiction is addiction IMO.

It starts with a dependency and that anticipatory thrill you mentioned.

Save yourself a whole mess of trouble. Change course now.

Best wishes

D
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was never into pills, I was a wino, but I felt the same about my wine as you do about your Oxys. When I first quit drinking, I honestly didn't know how I was going to survive without wine.

About six months later, I was doing much better and enjoying my freedom. It takes a while before you get used to living chemical-free, but it's worth the wait. Now, I wouldn't drink if you paid me cause I love my sober life so much.

Give it a try, what do you have to lose?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sure you can keep using it for now and enjoy the lift. Isn’t that how it all starts?

I remember when I started using oxy a couple times a week for that “lift.” Fast forward a couple years (even after a period of sobriety) and I was driving around to pawn shops trying to see what I could sell to help me get a fix.

Or lying on on the floor in the middle of the night trying to get comfortable from WD’s.

The point is you are ignorant if you think you can control it. I don’t mean to be harsh but somewhere down the line, whether it’s next week, next month, or two years from now it will likely get too big to control. Oxy is a dangerous drug.

Eventually you will likely need to start taking more to get that same effect. And tolerance only keeps going up from there.

You are already exhibiting signs of physical and psychological addiction. The physical effects, and also the fact the part that you said about being excited for your oxy dose when you got home. That shows me you’re already dependent on it to feel good. I remember that. No matter what was going on I knew everything would be okay as soon as I got my fix.

Down the road if it gets really bad you might consider switching to heroin because it’s cheaper. And nowadays heroin is laced with everything from fentanyl which is deadly to poison and other harmful cutting agents.

Dont think it cant happen to you? Ask anyone on here who has been down the opiate road if they thought it was gonna happen to them.

Also, think about your son.

if you are not happy or satisfied with life address those issues, maybe find a new career or hobby. Take charge of your life.

What you do is your business. But you should at least be warned of where this path could take you. It can very easily get out of control before you can even see what’s happening. I don’t consider using oxy daily to get a lift moderation. Pain pills are just not one of those things you usually moderate because of how addictive they are.

Here’s something to think about. You don’t know how bad it actually is until you have to go without. Your supply runs dry, or money is short. That is when it really hits you.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi OP: Well, I'm gonna say the boredom and depression needs to be addressed and addressed with something way better than opiates and alcohol. Both are lousy antidepressants and can mess with your brain chemistry and cause you to have INCREASED depression as a result. I'm totally convinced that what we allow to cross our blood-brain barrier messes with our brain chemistry.

So, ask yourself this: Why am I bored? Why am I depressed? Well, the boredom is likely part of the depression.

So, some things that have helped me with depression and life in general is to find something that inspires me and that I am passionate about.

I am passionate about a number of things, such as my profession, helping others, making someone s' day....cheering people up...When I get some feedback that I have helped someone, it gives me a lift and is a win/win situation.

Also, if you have any chronic pain that can contribute to depression? I have some arthritis going on and I am on Cymbalta for it as it is now FDA approved for treating chronic pain. If I have any depression going on it helps with that too. So, I'm getting a "two-fer". Also, exercise is a must for me.

You've identified some underlying issues (boredom and depression) What can you do right now, today, to not be bored? Yes, that's a challenge question.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi nectar,

Coming to this site and asking if it's a good idea to keep using oxy is like going to the Southern Baptist preachers convention and asking them to approve prostitution and adultery.

That said I do agree with the other posters here. Bad idea to keep using oxy as you described. I hope you can see this simple truth and get off of it.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for the replies

I do not recall asking for permission to do anything? But I do appreciate the words written.
Coming on a forum dedicated to recovery from drugs and alcohol and asking whether there is any reason “to not keeping using the oxy” is basically looking for validation to keep doing what you’re doing even if you know that you should stop.

Not trying to be an ass I’m telling it like it is.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is a message board for people fighting addiction, you should show some respect to them.

Doing oxy is dumb and you will pay dearly for it,very soon.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAaaron View Post
This is a message board for people fighting addiction, you should show some respect to them.

Doing oxy is dumb and you will pay dearly for it,very soon.
Yes , my addiction to pills started from an injury. Then you start taking more just because you're able to keep functional then your tolerance builds. Then when you have none, and the withdrawal begins. It keeps going and then you find anyway to justify your use. Today is my day 7 clean. But yes you will pay dearly for it. Some takes longer then other but it's the same end results.