Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Lost my looks from drug use, anyone know if they come back?

Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I used a prescription drug for only a month and now my eyes are shrunken up and angry looking. Looks horrible. Been this way for a year. Didn’t lose or gain weight, been eating healthy. Has anyone else lost their looks from drugs and if so did they ever come back?
Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This made me laugh. Yeah I've abused heroin and opioid medication for 15 years, and when I'm in a sick mood I look at myself in the mirror and think '**** I look like ****'. But then when I'm feeling good and happy, I see my self in the mirror and think 'Damn you still got it'.

It's all in yer head, it's all in yer head, it's all in yer head
Old 05-04-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vick1 View Post
This made me laugh. Yeah I've abused heroin and opioid medication for 15 years, and when I'm in a sick mood I look at myself in the mirror and think '**** I look like ****'. But then when I'm feeling good and happy, I see my self in the mirror and think 'Damn you still got it'.

Agreed 😊
Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Jackie- welcome

I was never any oil painting but I look a lot better now than I did when i was using
If it's been a year since you took the meds and you only took them for a month, maybe something else is going on - maybe a full checkup with your Dr might be find something or at least help set your mind at rest?

D
Old 05-04-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vick1 View Post

if you feel that way, then you never lost your looks. My eyeballs are so sunken in, no one even recognizes me anyway
Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
HI Jackie- welcome

I was never any oil painting but I look a lot better now than I did when i was using
If it's been a year since you took the meds and you only took them for a month, maybe something else is going on - maybe a full checkup with your Dr might be find something or at least help set your mind at rest?

D
thanks, I’ve tried so many doctors and no one knows. I think it’s extreme aging bc I have wrinkles around my eyes and everything. How did your looks improve after you stopped using?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I'm a guy so I probably didn't take that much notice but the whites of my eyes became white again (my eyes had been red and watery) and just generally my skin looked better, pinker, more healthy.

I'm also in my 50s so wrinkles weren't that much of an issue for me.

when you say your eyes are shrunken and angry looking, does something like Visine or any kind of eye drops help?

D
Old 06-04-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is such a good question... I was wondering the same thing. I have been drug free for 3 years and I feel like I don't look the same as I used to. Funny thing is everyone is telling me I look so healthy. At least I am clean today. That's where I have to focus back on when i start getting telling myself I don't look good anymore and all of the negative self talk.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackie49 View Post

How did your looks improve after you stopped using?
For starters, I don't get these types of comments from friends of ~20 yrs: "Dude, you looked like a corpse - you were grey".

I'm older and uglier - I'm still overweight, balding and my teeth could use a lot of work. But, I can look myself in the mirror today and not hate the man that I see looking back at me. I can actually make eye contact with myself and not want to punch the mirror, beat my head against a wall, or stick a needle in my arm to numb my self-loathing.

Today, I am okay.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Based on my extensive experience as an appearance consultant.... (kidding).

Without a picture who knows? But on forums where folks do post pictures I have seen many folks who are very critical of their appearance. I think they look fine.

In the end I am pretty sure you look better not using than you did when you were using. IMO the best way one can improve their appearance is to smile. Happy = attractive.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alisha2928 View Post
That is such a good question... I was wondering the same thing. I have been drug free for 3 years and I feel like I don't look the same as I used to. Funny thing is everyone is telling me I look so healthy. At least I am clean today. That's where I have to focus back on when i start getting telling myself I don't look good anymore and all of the negative self talk.
Thing is, it's hard to be objective about how you look, because you see yourself so often you won't notice the changes. If other people say you look healthier, you will be looking healthier.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's all in your head.

Although having said that I'll admit that recently I just look tired all the time. When I look in the mirror I just see someone that is tired of fighting. And I think if I can see that then do other people also see it. Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. If drugs do have an effect on your looks then there's probably some change when you stop using.

You just have to look at someone who's quit meth or heroin to see that.

Natom