Notices

Sick and Tired

Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick and Tired

this is my first post here. I feel like the title speaks for itself. I’m so sick of the person alcohol has made me become and what my life has come to. Never did I ever think this would be my life. I am so disgusted with myself and I know I need to change but I have absolutely no idea how. I want to stop drinking so bad but I can’t seem to stop and that scares me. It also scares me the amount of alcohol I consume daily. I don’t just binge drink several times a week or just in the evenings. I drink ALL DAY LONG. I’m talking from 8:00am in the morning until I pass out some time at night. I have to sleep it off at some point in the mid morning/day but after I wake up I start all over again. I am a writer and at first, the alcohol was doing “wonders” for my creativity but now I can barely concentrate to write 500 words. I would consider myself a functioning alcoholic because I can still take care of my kids and do what needs to be done for the most part but I know what I am doing can’t be good for my body and my family deserves way more than a the tipsy version of myself that I give. I’m afraid to admit what I am going through to anyone. I have told my husband but to be honest he isn’t much better off than me. We both enable each other I think and he doesn’t think he has a problem like I think I do. I will admit that I drink more than he does but we both drink way more than we should and everyday. I’m afraid to my addiction to anyone else, especially my parents...but as I slip deeper into it, my handle on things loosens even more. I am so afraid and have never felt more alone in this life.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome newbegin
You'll find a lot of support here.

I was an all day everyday drinker. Incredibly I thought I was functioning, but of course I wasn't. I've never regretted leaving that life behind.

Having a spouse who drinks is a challenge but it's not a dealbreaker.

Really use the support here - read around post - find out what other people are doing to stay sober and pick a way that ,makes sense to you

Its never too late to change

D
Old 04-18-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee74 thank you for your reply! Ive never spoken with a past all day drinker like myself and I have some questions for you. Number one, and most obvious, how the hell did you stop? I’ve been able to stop for a a few days a couple of times but that is it. It seems like every stressful situation triggers me and it doesn’t help that there is a lot of issues going on in my life right now. One thing you said really stuck out to me and it was about thinking that you are functioning but you really aren’t....that’s most likely what I’m doing now.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't stop until I had to - I ended up suffering several mini strokes.

I don't recommend that way - but it did help me 'pick a side'.

This community here at SR helped me too. Posting and reading here everyday helped me change for the better and stick to those changes.

I knew I had to build a sober life I loved or else I had no incentive to stay sober.

Think about what you want your life, and you, to look like sober.

For me all that was 12 years ago - I love my life and who I am now

what I've learned since 2007 is you don't have to hit rock bottom like I did - you can make a decision to change and stick to it any time you like

D
Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is huge problem... I saw what it can do to people, friends that could not stop drinking after something shocking happened in their life... Just wanted to wrote that we are here to support you!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Newbgin,

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a heroin and opioid addict, although when I stopped using these drugs I would quickly turn into and alcoholic.

But maybe our problem has many similarities, and to me it sounds like it does. I was a functioning addict for a long time, and just like you drink first thing in the morn I'd snort a line of heroin or prescription drugs.

Anyway, details aside, there's really only one way to beat this addiction. First you have to go to meetings. You have to connect with people that are willing to help you. It's not easy, and actually I just started meetings myself. But every time I go there I leave and I don't want to use. The feeling doesn't last long, so I have to go back and connect with these people again or I'll quickly fall back down my rabbit hole of hell. I can't stress enough how connecting with people who are in the same place as you will help. Especially people who are happy and clean/sober, and who share their knowledge.

You can't beat it on your own. It will kill you eventually. Reach out and get help.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going newbegin?

D
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnabolicSteroid View Post
Alcohol is huge problem... I saw what it can do to people, friends that could not stop drinking after something shocking happened in their life... Just wanted to wrote that we are here to support you!
thank you so much and it really is. I had no idea how tough alcoholism really was. I remember before it plagued me, I used to look down on a family friend that was going through it. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t just STOP drinking. It would have solved all of his problems but I get it now, sadly.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hows it going newbegin?

D
Dee74 to be honest with you....it hasn’t been going well. I am going through some things in my marriage and it has pushed me to drink even more. I’m trying like hell to fight the urges but it’s like I can’t even feel happy without alcohol in my system. And I do feel like I need to go to some meetings or something Vick1 but that scares me for some reason but I know I can’t fight this alone. I’ve tried and fail every time. I need people who have been on this journey or are going through this journey around me. I just don’t know if my husband will understand or what I will do if any of my family were to find out. I don’t know why that prospect scares me so much but it does. I would feel a thousand times more ashamed than I already do if they knew.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbegin View Post

Dee74 to be honest with you....it hasn’t been going well. I am going through some things in my marriage and it has pushed me to drink even more. I’m trying like hell to fight the urges but it’s like I can’t even feel happy without alcohol in my system. And I do feel like I need to go to some meetings or something Vick1 but that scares me for some reason but I know I can’t fight this alone. I’ve tried and fail every time. I need people who have been on this journey or are going through this journey around me. I just don’t know if my husband will understand or what I will do if any of my family were to find out. I don’t know why that prospect scares me so much but it does. I would feel a thousand times more ashamed than I already do if they knew.
My heart aches for you when I read this.

You need not feel ashamed for seeking assistance, or help in trying to get better - the only shame would be for you to do nothing, and allow things to continue to spiral out of control. If anyone looks down on you for being brave enough to admit that you're facing a problem that is out of control, and trying to do something about it, then that is their issue. Would anyone who truly loves you be upset that you were trying to get better? You might be surprised by support from people and places you never imagined - I know that I was when the time came for me to seek help.

Just my two cents, best wishes to you - thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbegin View Post

I do feel like I need to go to some meetings or something Vick1 but that scares me for some reason but I know I can’t fight this alone. I’ve tried and fail every time. I need people who have been on this journey or are going through this journey around me. I just don’t know if my husband will understand or what I will do if any of my family were to find out. I don’t know why that prospect scares me so much but it does. I would feel a thousand times more ashamed than I already do if they knew.
It scares everyone. I've just been to a meeting and I couldn't open my mouth. I felt that if I did I'd lose my mind. But I listened, and it was therapeutic. I think you'd be surprised , family are family and they might not show it all the time, but they love you unconditionally. And if they don't, then why should you care what they think.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

it’s like I can’t even feel happy without alcohol in my system.
You can be - but you'll never know until you give yourself the chance to prove it to yourself

D