Notices

Suspect roomate of using drugs but not sure

Old 05-19-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suspect roomate of using drugs but not sure

Hi everyone, first off I hope everyone and their loved ones are safe and healthy during these troubled times we live in, fortunately it looks like we are turning a corner soon.

As for the main reason I'm posting - my roomate has a really strange routine that has been going on for a couple of months. In addition to living here he also works close by and since..I'd say since the end of Feb he stops home a couple of times a day usually a few hours apart, goes in his room...when he comes out he ALWAYS (Sorry I don't know any other way to describe this) comes out sounding like he's trying to cough up phlegm...the only term I can use to describe the sound is "hock a loogie." Then he leaves and goes back to work. These are the only times I see him exhibiting this behavior. Could this be a sign that he's doing some type of drug? He may be doing it at night but I don't know because I work nights. Also I can tell you that it's not pot because the smell makes me nauseous and I'm very sensitive to it and I don't smell any other strange odors. I also converse with him pretty much on a daily basis and I never smell any alcohol on his breath. This has been happening every single day since it started. I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum but this seemed the most appropriate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you all and stay safe!
Old 05-19-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Chris! First I want to say I commend you for being concerned about your roommate. You seem like a good friend for noticing this strange routine. Not everyone would be so observant and notice things like this!

I would recommend talking to him about it. What I'm NOT saying is to have a huge confrontation or intervention- just a simple, "Hey, are you okay? I've noticed (a, b, c, etc.)" That way it won't come across as judgement, but rather than you're worried about him. Chances are he might not be using, he could just have a strange routine or be suffering allergies. Who knows until you ask! It's best not to assume the worst.

When I've been caught using it's usually gone terribly, because the person who catches me gets caught up in their emotions and even though they absolutely mean well, it still comes out as anger. If you do end up asking him, make sure to manage your emotions. People who use drugs can get really defensive, especially when addicted, because they feel like they're being judged or attacked. Speaking from personal experience, stay calm and rational and you'll get the best outcome