Notices

Son wants to leave rehab

Old 11-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son wants to leave rehab

My 22 year old son has done 41 out of 90 days in rehab. He had a serious coke habit and is an alcoholic. He has suffered from depression for several years.

He started out well in rehab, but he is now struggling. He wants to leave and seems to be very depressed. He says he is over the coke but he has admitted that he would probably drink again.

I know that I alone cannot convince him to stay, However, the thought of him returning home worries me enormously.

The current plan is that he stays in rehab until January, Then he returns to college in a sober living environment.

I told him today that he cannot come home and return to drinking. However, I don't think he understood (or did not want to understand) what I was saying.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a lot addicts in treatment state that they want to leave....not all do, a lot of time it's just frustration and dealing with the whole sober thing. i hope he stays.

understand that treatment is NOT a cure and not everyone GETS it on the first attempt. if he refuses to stop drinking, the coke is more than likely to follow.....he has choices.

as do you. it's tough sledding with loved ones who are also addicts.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, COYI.
Do you have it in you to state, “you cannot come here to live if you leave rehab early.”
I mean, he's not over the coke, though he says he is.
And he’s definitely not over the alcohol if he says that he is planning to drink .
Nope, still an addict, with an addict’s thinking.
Could be, as Anvil says, that he is just finding rehab hard going today, and will feel better tomorrow
It’s a tough one, but he is safe and getting help.
Hugs..