Notices

Messed up after 3.5 years sober

Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messed up after 3.5 years sober

I had heard that Kratom was a good alternative for pain and though I had read horror stories, I let my better judgement escape me. I took it for about 6 weeks and have been off of it for 11 days and still feel pretty awful. I think it partially triggered some PTSD from my original opiate withdrawal 3.5 years ago because they were so intense. I can't help but beat myself up for putting myself in this position again when I KNEW BETTER! I guess I'm looking for advice and support. I've posted in a facebook group and it seems everyone is very Pro Kratom which I just don't understand? Maybe they don't understand the concept of sobriety, or what I believe it to be. Also, I apologize if that offends any of you. Has anyone had a short relapse with something like Kratom? I figure if I could do cold turkey off 3.5 years of heavy opiates, 6 weeks of Kratom shouldn't be this hard. Also, has anyone had success with Immodium? Not taking in large doses like some people do, just normal doses. I would like to take it for my symptoms but am scared it will put me back at square one. There is just so much controversy over it. Thanks for listening everyone, and again I'm sorry if I offended anyone who is pro-Kratom but I am looking for support here and not to hear about it's "benefits."
Old 09-09-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mandiet - I have no experience with Kratom, but from my recent WD, I took 3 Imodium in the AM, 2 at noon, 2 in the evening.

Seemed to work ok.

Hang in there buddy - you are doing great!
Old 09-09-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Mandiet.
I don't have personal experience, but did quite a bit of research recently as a friend's SO was flirting with it.
I know It's Asian in origin and supposedly helps with a few things, like pain management and withdrawal symptoms.
According to some of the sources I read, it can be addictive, though not always.
My takeaway is that it is something that I would avoid, simply because I couldn't find a substantial body of work that supports that it is beneficial.
That's all I have.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mandiet

I've never had folks discussing Kratom on FB but I've read horror stories here.

My guess is people are less likely to share an addiction horror story on FB.

I don't know much about Immodium either but I figure withdrawal sucks...you may as well knuckle down and get through it.

If it was me, I'd try to take as little as possible of anything else that could become a problem down the road.

D
Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah it was definitely not worth what I am going through right now. My self esteem is shot from letting myself do this after being clean for so long. I feel like I'm starting all over though deep down I know that's now true. I caught this one early at only 5-6 weeks. I'm just mad I was naive enough to try it in the first place with my history of opiate addiction. As for Facebook, I joined a "support group" but it seems that everyone there is very pro-Kratom and doesn't understand why I want to stop. That's what I love about this page is that they truly understand sobriety and what that means. Has anyone had a short relapse and if so, how long did it take for you to feel normal again? Was it anything like the first detox if you were a long term user?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not let this derail you.

You made a mistake but that doesn't diminish your achievements over 3 and a half years

This forum is always a little slower, especially on a weekend, but I hope you'll hear from others with experience soon

D
Old 09-09-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. That means a lot. It was and is a big achievement and this could have been far worse. We all need a reminder we're not indestructible once in a while. This will be my last one. I won't mess with things like this that can even "possibly" work on opiate receptors. It's just not worth it.