Notices

Insomnia: Boyfriend 9 days off Heroin

Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia: Boyfriend 9 days off Heroin

Just a question here.. So my boyfriend is on his 9th day off Heroin and says he still hasn't slept or barely slept. Is this what most experience for about there 9th day of withdrawal and how much longer does the insomnia last? I'm just trying to understand because he is starting to act like a real #%*# and I'm trying to be positive and encouraging but he's very agitated and his pupils are huge. I'm not sure if they just look huge because I'm used to them pinned or if they really are huge and he looks a little crazy. Welp anyways..... How long does this insomnia usually last ?
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coming off Heroin is a heck of a hard thing. His sleep will improve. He will win this battle (if) he sticks to a clean and sober lifestyle.

I know many, many who have recovered from Heroin.

Encourage him often.

M-Bob
Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Uncaged, I think he should be able to sleep within a week, but more importantly, does he have a recovery plan? Support group?
(( Hugs ))
Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Coming off Heroin is a heck of a hard thing. His sleep will improve. He will win this battle (if) he sticks to a clean and sober lifestyle.

I know many, many who have recovered from Heroin.

Encourage him often.

M-Bob
Don't mean to hijack at all but THIS is the post I've been hoping to read. Its a relief to see someone say they know recovered heroin addicts. Gives me a sense of hope. My husband is 3 weeks clean from heroin today.

Thank you Bob.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
Just a question here.. So my boyfriend is on his 9th day off Heroin and says he still hasn't slept or barely slept. Is this what most experience for about there 9th day of withdrawal and how much longer does the insomnia last? I'm just trying to understand because he is starting to act like a real #%*# and I'm trying to be positive and encouraging but he's very agitated and his pupils are huge. I'm not sure if they just look huge because I'm used to them pinned or if they really are huge and he looks a little crazy. Welp anyways..... How long does this insomnia usually last ?
My husband utilized magnesium/calcium, valarian root and melatonin. Also lots of warm Epson salt baths before bed.. The withdrawals took a few weeks.. And then the paws started. He was also a total jerk, I just kept myself busy and let him handle his emotions. All you can do for him is stand by his side and be the shoulder to cry on.
The main thing I noticed that uplifted his mood and kept him busy was WORK. He got a job and now he has no time to be upset or focus on his paws. He's too busy with work and when he gets home, hits the gym and he's out like a light for bed.

Praying for you
Old 11-01-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My sleep was still very rough at 9 days. I was able to start sleeping ~4 hours per night by the 5th day, but it stayed like that for a while. Barely sleeping and not sleeping at all are completely different though.

I was totally miserable during the whole process, and was definitely not a bundle of joy.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

I hate to say "it depends". It was a long road for me. I didn't have normal/regular sleep for what seemed an eternity (2 months maybe?). I remember the first time I had a 4-hour stretch of non-medicated sleep. It was like "AHHHHHHHHHH!" (envision rays of light coming from heaven, etc). lol

I did chamomile tea, melatonin, hot baths with epsom salts, exercise, reading at bedtime.

I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and days became months. Sleep returned and life got into a routine. A good routine.

Just keep swimming, as Dory would say.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm just over 6 years clean from heroin and like mfanch said, I hate saying "it depends" too! For me, I had an diagnosed underlying mental health issue so pretty much as soon as I stopped using, my anxiety came up like an angry monster.

I spoke to someone in recovery recently who said that it took them 5 days to get off heroin and then they could sleep and finally relax. I'm jealous of that person! It took me weeks. Presumably he's stopped the puking and diarrhea that's unfortunately so common, but honestly, I just spent time napping. I'd have an hour here, two hours there and wake up sweaty and gross, I fell asleep in the bath (not a good idea). I just looked in my journal I kept during those crappy days and apparently I slept for almost 5 hours on day 8 but had completely demented dreams.

It will settle down but relaxation was huge for me. Long baths before bed, try and actually get into a bedtime routine (I napped during the day still for a long time) and if I woke up in the night and couldn't sleep, I got up and drank tea rather than staring at the ceiling and worrying.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No sleep is tough! Hope it evens out soon. It's huge that he is 9 days. As others have posted, coming off heroin is difficult. Does he have a recovery plan? Could make a difference. Peace.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ah ot took ages to be able to sleep. I think I was easily 10-14 days. Huge pupils is normal too.
Agitation, all of that.
I'm 13 years heroin free.

Tell you what though. At one month, three months and one year were trigger points where I could have gone back on it... like.. as though I felt I was over it so could safely use again just once... be aware of that. It's not always bad stuff that turns a person back, it's joys too.