Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

GAD and panic attacks, but want off the Klonopin, need help

Notices

Old 11-20-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was Rx'd Klonopin by my GP about 4 months ago for panic attacks GAD. They are .05 and I can take up to 3 a day. My usual is to take 2 at bedtime to help me sleep. If I am having a particularly panicky day, I will take .025 rather than .05. I try to power through the panic attacks that I have daily because I know I will just keep wanting to up the dosage as tolerance had built from .05 to 1mg in the past couple of months. More was becoming better and, well, I know how that can spiral out of control. I can already feel myself becoming dependent on it.
The doctor also gave me Buspar along with it, but I was using the Klonopin more as I found it to work better. Buspar does not help with acute attacks.

Now that I have moved to PA, they have some invasive, ridiculous paper that I had to sign last week consenting to random urine tests and pill counts. WTH? The whole idea of if just turned me off completely. I am dealing with too much atm and that just handed me even more anxiety. Now I just want off the medication even though it helps.

I spent the evening and night Googling tapering off Klonopin. Nightmarish **** is all that I was reading. Most of it was from long-term use.

I took 1 1/2 last night instead of the usual 2. I had very interrupted sleep and weird dreams. How soon can I taper down to .05? I cannot get in to a Psych Dr. until January. I do not want to wait that long and drag this out to where I am even more tolerant/dependent on this med.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering schedules are something you really need to discuss with the prescribing Dr olow.

I know you want advice but none of us know your medical history etc.

Why not see your GP?

D
Old 11-20-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I moved from one state to another while on these. I will call my new gp this week. They are not the prescribing Dr.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also battle with severe panic and am also on klonopin. For me it has been a lifesaver, but I know for many of us, just taking meds can make us even more anxious at times. Personally if your doc prescribed them and they are working like you mention, I would just keep taking them as directed until you can get an appointment with your therapist.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I know the registering and monitoring is intrusive, but if the meds are working maybe the annoyance is worth it - at least until you see your p-doc or some other Doctor?

I'm on pain relief that I already have to provide ID to buy...it's soon going to be prescription only...it's going to be even more of a pain in the butt but I know I'm doing nothing wrong, so I have nothing to fear really?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is what I get from the Mental Health division. "We wean everyone off of anything that they are on in a week". Then they have to wait 6 weeks before taking anything else."

Now they say the wait time to see the therapist is Feb. Ugh. I need to call my insurance tomorrow to see if I can see another Psych without a referral. This is crazy.

smh