SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   If your substance knocked on the door RIGHT NOW (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/341568-if-your-substance-knocked-door-right-now.html)

Gamaur 08-10-2014 02:48 AM

If your substance knocked on the door RIGHT NOW

If someone knocked on your door right now and offered a large quantity of your preferred substance for free, what would you do? Give it some thought.

Would you have the strength to say no?

Or

Is your resolve dependent on avoidance?

I'm 4 days out of a relapse and I personally have no idea how I'd do. I think about it one second and it's an emphatic NO! Then the next it's a "well...". The more I'm thinking about it though, the stronger I'm feeling about the former.

larrylive 08-10-2014 03:09 AM

Slam the door. (been there, done that)

Dee74 08-10-2014 04:24 AM

As a user and drinker I often thought I would not have the strength if that happened - and it used to on a regular basis.

But...I'm not the same guy I used to be, and I have a life I love now :).

I'd have no hesitation in saying a very firm no.

D

Timebuster 08-10-2014 05:26 AM

This is what is great about recovery, you play to win the game...Hello!!!!

TB

Gamaur 08-10-2014 05:38 AM

Love it!

four812 08-10-2014 11:02 AM

I need more growth in recovery before I'd make it through an invitation like that. But such a thing wouldn't happen in a billion years in my life. As far as the crack

The alcohol could and will happen and so could weed possible. All I can do is renew my commitment each day to have a chance in those two cases.

Kris47 08-10-2014 11:04 AM

Pray and Pause and Think.

Then say NO.

Pray some more.

Then come here.

aasharon90 08-10-2014 11:35 AM

I don't answer my door. Period. Especially
if I don't know them personally. I use my
peep hole and never have to answer my
door if I chose not to.

The devil is always lurking, waiting patiently
for that perfect time to knock at the door or
ring the phone with a bag full of poison and
evil in his mind.

larrylive 08-10-2014 01:48 PM

I forgot to mention that one of the titles for the book I dream of writing was; Cop-blockers and Bellringers, as I used to live in a self-made crack house/apartment biulding.
The doorbell was becoming as much a trigger as a twenty dollar bill. Coincidently I have not had a doorbell since then, but I do have twenty dollar bills...God is good.

Be well,
Larry

finaltime 08-10-2014 02:20 PM

I would honestly be able to say no but it still wouldn't be super easy. I might have to call my sponsor ha ha.

AlexThedude 08-10-2014 02:31 PM

i'm on day 3 after a heroin and morphine relapse... I think at this point my resolve is definitely dependent on avoidance.

Impurrfect 08-10-2014 03:02 PM

I've actually had someone at a previous job offer me crack. As Larry said, I just thought BTDT, no thanks and told him to NEVER even think about offering me anything again.

Got paid, cash, yesterday. Briefly thought about how, used to be, I'd be on a crack binge until it was gone, it would be short binge and I'd hate myself like I did when I relapsed.

Felt MUCH better to pay on some bills and go to the grocery store.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

TiredEnough 08-11-2014 05:37 AM

I would accept it and then destroy it so they couldn't offer it to someone else.

Shining~Again 08-11-2014 07:09 AM

no way in hell. At 11 months, I'm still struggling to find something that helps
my back. Can get really down at moments when pain gets to me.
Always seeking something that will help my quality of life. Next stop, injections
in the spine. *praying*

Wouldn't take a script that was offered and they have been. I just cannot
stand to go back into the world of pain pills and everything they represent to me.

Kris47 08-11-2014 12:28 PM

Understand, Lethe.

If you find something that works let me know!

I pray to God to get me through some painful days.

pl3bscheese 08-11-2014 01:49 PM

Same thing I do to Mormon's. I smile while shutting the door as they're talking.

Perspective rejected, access denied.

End of story.

EyesOfAStranger 08-11-2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Timebuster (Post 4832059)
This is what is great about recovery, you play to win the game...Hello!!!!

TB

Wow, I feel like I'm getting weaker instead of stronger in my recovery. Maybe it's because I only have just over a month, but I'd have a hard time with that one. My first thought - of course I'd take it! But I read down a little further and read Timebusters words and watched the video - got to the you play to win the game....Hello! and laughed so hard that I think it made me change my mind.

Great vid Timebuster! You may have just saved a soul with that ;)

Hevyn 08-11-2014 07:31 PM

Hi Gamaur.

Easy for me to say at 6 years in, but it would be a big No. I want to live. :)

Ashamedof 08-11-2014 09:08 PM

I'm only 4 days in so that's tough? No one is knocking on my door anyway but if they did? I would probably slam the door, run to my bedroom and get on my knees...

Gamaur 08-11-2014 09:42 PM

Great responses.

Day 6 out and now it's definitely a NO for me. I feel like sleep-deprived scattered baloney and have started to finally identify it with the drug.. so the idea of more makes me feel sick. I'll need to think about he question again in a couple of weeks.