Notices

Tried to quit today and ended up smoking

Old 01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried to quit today and ended up smoking

I have been trying to quit since new years. I am a heavy smoker and have been smoking since grade 9 which was 10 years ago and I am 23 now. I am currently a university student. I am very lost for words as this is my first post on this site. My weed habit has gotten even worse in the last month or so because I have been smoking wax, butter, oil and so on. Quantity is never an issue, I always have more than enough on hand.

The day before the planned quit day, I always feel good about quitting but the moment I wake up the next day, all I can think about is smoking. I guess I am just on here to vent because I have already read so much and researched almost everything I could.

Just looking for some positive input

Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How do you smoke butter, wax and oil?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They have found ways to extract the THC from the weed and turn it into oils, waxes and butters. These extracts are extremely potent and have a strong effect on your mind and body. It takes about 9-10 grams of weed to make 1gram of butter.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi jay sorry you're so frustrated. I'm not sure if you are trying to quit smoking cigs or weed or maybe both. I wish I had some super advise on quiting cigs but I don't, since I'm struggling with that too. If you're trying to quit smoking both, perhaps try to battle each demon separately. I know it's hard enough breaking one addiction but trying both at the same time makes it double hard. At least that's my thoughts on it. Some can and do quit everything at once but I've never been successful with that. We do have a seperate forum for those trying to give up nicotine. You might find some useful info and great support there.

Good luck! I know it's tough but we are here to support you!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey cleaninLi. Thanks for your reply. Its for weed, thankfully I kicked my cigarette habit many years ago. I hope you have better luck in the future as well
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no weed experience to share and no advice.

It can be done, many people stop on weed, even after long time – it is though hard in the beginning for many.

What do you think it takes for you to stop …

Can you stop with will-power alone at home or do you need more support?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ever check out Marijuana Anonymous? they are people who desire to stop smoking weed. I love cannabis. I have no intention of stopping. I am just quitting the drinking and narcotics. Id rather smoke than take psych meds.

You should just take a break if you need to. I feel its too sacred of a thing to abuse or waste. Try exercise and take a break. If you are powerless and your life has become unmanageable from smoking then maybe check out some support programs that exist out there. Keep posting here, people will offer suggestions. Anything can become an unhealthy obsession for some people. Look at people who over eat. People can take anything too far.

peace
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The bad news about reefer is that it has a pretty big psychological hook for many people. The good news about reefer is that if you can manage to put up with the non-life-threatening withdrawal symptoms for 4-7 days you'll come out on the other end feeling pretty good and wondering why you were fiending for weed so much. BTW, you managed to gravitate to the most potent variants for your THC delivery so extra care will be needed in the initial kick stages. This includes staying as busy as possible and avoiding "people, places and things" like the plague. At least for the first week. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I gave up cannabis a little over a month ago. I was just smoking it the regular way so I'm not sure about smoking butter or oil. I gave up drinking over two years ago but held onto cannabis. I actually started smoking a lot more after I quit drinking. And while my life was certainly much better without alcohol and I was managing with cannabis okay, I knew I could be happier. So I finally took the leap and gave it all up. It was pretty tough at first, largely because now I'm facing life sober for the first time since I was a teenager. But I'm feeling really good now on so many levels.

I went through about three weeks of withdrawal - the worst of it was insomnia, night sweats, mood swings, and headaches. I craved it for a few weeks but I think a lot of that was habitual. I knew what to expect having been through alcohol withdrawal. Admittedly the two are different experiences, but I kind of knew how I was going to respond to it. About a week after I quit I went through a pretty devastating experience at work, both of my parents were in hospital at the same time, and New Year's Eve parties were thrown in for good measure - but I managed to stay the course and made it through without relapse, thankfully.

I think you just have to be patient. Stay committed to your decision to quit and remind yourself why you're walking away from it. I feel really solid now and it's such a relief not to under its thumb anymore. Good luck, sweetie. You can definitely do it!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Jay - welcome

The best advice I can give you is first: get rid of whatever you have in the house - weed butter, wax, hash, oil, brownies, roaches...whatever - and all the implements.

Also be very selective about who you hang about with from a little while - avoid other smokers.

I know these may sound like drastic measures but I used to smoke everyday for 30 years.
it can be tough to give up...I don't think you can really do it without making a few changes.

There's a few former weed smokers around and a few trying to quit as well - you'll find support here

here are some links that may be useful to you:

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting
https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/...from-marijuana
Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame
Quitting Cannabis

D