Notices

I'm so scared of this detox!! Help!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm so scared of this detox!! Help!

Ok I have been taking 50-60 mg of hydro a day for a little over 3 months. I am so sick of it and want to stop!! Can't believe I did this!! I have 2 7.5 and then it's over. I guess I'm going cold turkey. I never tried to taper. What should I except with how long and how much I have been taking. But if I were to taper how would I do it? Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about hydro or have any firsthand experience with tapering off them but I wanted to welcome you cleinfwb.
If you have a Dr it might be a good idea to contact them if you're concerned?

D
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I were gonna taper with what you have left this is what I'd do. Break the first in half and try to wait as long as I could to take the first half. After that, again wait as long as I could to take the second half. I'd probably split the last pill into 4 pieces and do the same process with them, waiting until I couldn't take the pain any longer to take each piece.

You have a relatively small habit and for not that long of a time so you shouldn't have terrible terrible withdrawals. It won't be fun but it could be a lot worse.

Just remember, if you get more you're only prolonging the addiction and making the inevitable withdrawals worse when they come. Good luck
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally I would just get it over with. I know things are all relative, but you are not taking all that much. Back in my pill days before I switched to H I was up to 30-35 norco's a day and managed to kick cold turkey. At the time I thought that withdrawal was horrible, but like I said things are all relative because when I graduated to Heroin and jumped from 2 grams I got to experience what opiate withdrawals are all about.

If you do decide to tough it out the worst should be over in 4-5 days. You are not going to feel great, but at the 2 week mark you should physically be doing pretty well. Expect sweats hot/cold, lots of trips to the bathroom, possibly vomiting but maybe not at that low of a dose. Overall lack of energy and unfortunately depression which was one of the worst parts of it for me. Get some rest and drink lots of fluids.

What are your plans to stay stopped once you do get off? Most people are so scared of the withdrawals they don't think passed them. They think if I could just get through withdrawals I would be fine, but that is normally not how it goes. The mental obsession can be strong and you end up going back. Good luck. If you have only been at it 3 months you might be one of the lucky ones who can quit and never look back. Ahhh if I could only have been one of the lucky ones!!! :-)
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your advice. I really want to do this. I am a stay at home mom and my husband knows I take pills. I have faked the pain all along to get them . So he will know I'm going threw w/d I just don't have the guts to tell him all the $ we spent on drs. Was a lie :-/. Do you think I will still be able to take care of my kids? I have some .50 Xanax to help with this but they just make me pass out.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Personally I would just get it over with. I know things are all relative, but you are not taking all that much. Back in my pill days before I switched to H I was up to 30-35 norco's a day and managed to kick cold turkey. At the time I thought that withdrawal was horrible, but like I said things are all relative because when I graduated to Heroin and jumped from 2 grams I got to experience what opiate withdrawals are all about. If you do decide to tough it out the worst should be over in 4-5 days. You are not going to feel great, but at the 2 week mark you should physically be doing pretty well. Expect sweats hot/cold, lots of trips to the bathroom, possibly vomiting but maybe not at that low of a dose. Overall lack of energy and unfortunately depression which was one of the worst parts of it for me. Get some rest and drink lots of fluids. What are your plans to stay stopped once you do get off? Most people are so scared of the withdrawals they don't think passed them. They think if I could just get through withdrawals I would be fine, but that is normally not how it goes. The mental obsession can be strong and you end up going back. Good luck. If you have only been at it 3 months you might be one of the lucky ones who can quit and never look back. Ahhh if I could only have been one of the lucky ones!!! :-)
Oh this is not my first time. But it's been over 10 years since I went through this. And it was herion but I really did not do that much back then. I'm not very good at being a junky... Was sick more than high.
I do plan on Christian support groups I just have to find them.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleinfwb View Post
Thanks for your advice. I really want to do this. I am a stay at home mom and my husband knows I take pills. I have faked the pain all along to get them . So he will know I'm going threw w/d I just don't have the guts to tell him all the $ we spent on drs. Was a lie :-/. Do you think I will still be able to take care of my kids? I have some .50 Xanax to help with this but they just make me pass out.
I wouldn't want to have to take care of kids while going through withdrawals. Any way you can get a break for a few days? I guess it will be similar to having a flu but sounds like you know what to expect. I am sure a lot was spent on doctors, but trust me could be much worse if you were buying pills off the street. Was costing me $120 a day so thought switching to H was going to be cheaper, but just dug me in deeper and ended up costing more in the long run. Been off almost 2 years and am still trying to recover financially. Get out now while the getting is good!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So what made you go back after 10 years if you don't mind me asking? Kids / life stressing you out? It took me 7 years to finally quit and now with close to 2 years clean I know I am still just a few bad decisions away from being back in hell.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
So what made you go back after 10 years if you don't mind me asking? Kids / life stressing you out? It took me 7 years to finally quit and now with close to 2 years clean I know I am still just a few bad decisions away from being back in hell.
Well I married a very good looking caring Christian man had 2 beautiful kids and get to stay at home with them. We are not well off at all but we pay our bills. So stress no that's not it at all. I quit seeking The Lord and got wrapped up in SELF!! I started feeling sorry for myself for really no reason. I would always think about wanting pills but I had no clue how to get them. I used in pa and now live in Florida. So I went to the dr because my back was really messed up and got pain pills. We'll after that I knew hey that's how I can get them. I would do this every 5 months fake some pain and get like 5 days worth and stop till next time. Well this time I have not stop. I fake a certain illness and get pills when I ask. I'm not going to say what cause it works well and don't want to give anyone ideas. But I miss being sober and I miss The Lord.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh is there anything I can ask my dr for to help me with this?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to ask your Dr about all of this.

We actually have a medical advice rule here:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Whats worked for others simply may not be suitable for you - we don't know.

Only a doctor is qualified to suggest treatment and any medications

D
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's best to ask your Dr about all of this. We actually have a medical advice rule here: Whats worked for others simply may not be suitable for you - we don't know. Only a doctor is qualified to suggest treatment and any medications D
I understand my last question. But are the rest of my question not allowed on here either. Umm if so where can I go for support through this detox. Is there some where else online to talk about it? I have no one right now.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Technically speaking you're not supposed to ask for medical advice here.

There's loads of support here, but we're a peer support group - not a medical advice board....none of us knows your clinical condition or health history

The two answers you did get are pretty much what you defined as your two options anyway - tapering or cold turkey.

If you're unsure or concerned about either or both, it makes sense to get professional advice.

why can't you see your Dr?
You don't want your husband to know?

If you're a Blue Cross member you may get some advice here:
24-Hour Toll-Free Nurse Hotline

Did you know that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama offers a 24-hour toll free Nurse Hotline? With Blue Cross' Care Management hotline, an experienced nurse is a phone call away to help you with answers to your health care questions. With the hotline, you have immediate access to a registered nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. This valuable service is free by calling:
1-800-896-2724
If you have no insurance or don;t want to claim, there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
http://www.211.org/

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Technically speaking you're not supposed to ask for medical advice here. There's loads of support here, but we're a peer support group - not a medical advice board....none of us knows your clinical condition or health history The two answers you did get are pretty much what you defined as your two options anyway - tapering or cold turkey. If you're unsure or concerned about either or both, it makes sense to get professional advice. why can't you see your Dr? You don't want your husband to know? D
I can't cause I'm out of Meds 2 weeks early. I just never want to go back I'm embarrassed. I'm just so anxious right now I can't sleep. I'm not even in W/d yet I just know it's coming. I guess I just wanted to know what I'm on for. And I don't know how to taper.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Clein,
Congrats on your recovery! You will probably only feel uncomfortable for a few days. Like Marcus mentioned, restless legs, hot and cold sensations, diarrhea, some aches and pains, yawning and/or runny nose. Usually, the worst days are the 2nd and 3rd days. The 4th and fifth will probably be much better.

Best things to do for WD are hot baths, rest, bananas and sports drinks and watching light or funny movies to distract you. As soon as you can begin a light excersize routine such as yoga or walking.....whatever you can do carefully. That will really help get you back to normal quicker.

You can do this!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Clein, Congrats on your recovery! You will probably only feel uncomfortable for a few days. Like Marcus mentioned, restless legs, hot and cold sensations, diarrhea, some aches and pains, yawning and/or runny nose. Usually, the worst days are the 2nd and 3rd days. The 4th and fifth will probably be much better. Best things to do for WD are hot baths, rest, bananas and sports drinks and watching light or funny movies to distract you. As soon as you can begin a light excersize routine such as yoga or walking.....whatever you can do carefully. That will really help get you back to normal quicker. You can do this!
Thanks! I took my last 2 this morning and went to my dr and he gave me Meds to help. He says it something for hypertension. So I will be feeling bad starting tonight. Sucks because it's my son's first basketball practice. It makes me sad but by next week's practice I should be feeling better. Please keep me in your prayers!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleinfwb View Post
Oh this is not my first time. But it's been over 10 years since I went through this. And it was herion but I really did not do that much back then. I'm not very good at being a junky... Was sick more than high.
I do plan on Christian support groups I just have to find them.
Cheering for you! If you can kick heroin then you can do this no problem. Detox with pills takes a little longer, but it is waaaay less intense.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SO GOOD TO SEE YOU ON HERE! I also just quit CT after being on them straight since the end of August. It wasn't too bad actually, today is day 6 and I slept through the night!!! However, for me the withdrawals are bad...I cried all weekend, puked and runs etc etc, but monday I got up and went to work. But I have been an active addict off and on for so many years I am now working a program. I am a single mom to a 3 year old girl, and it is very important for me to stop running from dr's to dr's and dragging her along for my pills.

You can do this. Rip off that band aid, find some support for how you won't go back.

We can help each other!!!!!! My love affair is with pills, for the first month or so they make me feel whole. But then it just gets tiresome.Then the anxiety they bring is even worse.

Stay strong. Day 6 here just started the day (I live in CHina).

Post post post!!!! Glad you husband knows!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took care of my son while withdrawing. We watched a lot of Disney jr and ordered take out. I'm at 23 days clean. If you are a Christian there is a great program called celebrate recovery! You can look it up online I'm sure there is a meeting near you! Or pm me. Good luck. Feel better and keep posting here. It gets much better! You can heal. God bless you!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you doing today? Please keep in touch. We are here for you!