Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

I need sleep. should i take a xanax? or suffer through?

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its almost 2am and I cannot sleep. I cannot live on 3 hours if sleep each night. My legs ache and burn and I'm tossing and turning. UGH. I hate this. I read somewhere on here that wrapping ur legs in ace bandages help but I don't have any on hand. Has anyone tried that?

I have a bottle of xanax stashed somewhere around here - just in case but I haven't taken one YET but I'm very close. I took a hot bath and a few advil and a OTC sleep aid before bed but didn't do a thing. And I'm just so irritated. I felt great 2 hours ago and the leg thing is driving me nuts!

I have never abused xanax. I've used it before to sleep or help me come down if I'm partying all night so I don't think I would start abusing it. But it still scares me because I don't want to keep reaching for a pill to make it all better. But I need sleep to function.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I definetly advise against it! Yes it will help you sleep but next thing you know you'll be relying on xanax to help you get to sleep every night, then you'll develop a tolerance and become dependant on it to help you sleep. If you not sleeping is a reoccurring theme then you should look into melatonin. Its all natural, you take like 1 or 2 right before you go to bed , turn off all distractions and you will be sleeping like a baby in no time (: also you should bring up your insomnia and leg problems to your doctor. It sounds like you have restless leg syndrome (my mom has it, it sucks!). I hope I helped (: keep me updated!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People told me that they wish for me a HORRIBLE detox (insomnia included) so as to deter me from using again. (nothing deterred me from using until I worked steps.)

Benzo (Xanax) detox was the worst I'd ever experienced. I am an opiate user, but didn't listen to anyone and used benzos to alleviate the opiate withdrawal.... Huge mistake.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lilyjane,
I have to agree with you, I am an opiate addict, but I had a tendency to abuse Xanax also. I reached the point where I couldn't sleep without it. I am still suffering from insomnia, which is why I'm still awake. Lol anyway WD from Xanax was just as bad as opiates, maybe even worse mentally. I thought I was going crazy!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We have to make these decisons for ourselves. I use Xanax and have never abused it. It's not my DOC and using it doesn't mean it will become my DOC. With that said, I have found that a heating pad or an electric blanket is soothing to the achey leg thing. If it's the main reason you're not sleeping it's certainly worth a try.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Restless leg is a wonderful side effect from opiate withdrawal. Mine is gone now at 18 days off subs.

The problem with benzos is that the addiction can become physical and not even be something we necessarily meant to become addicted to. I never really cared for them but did use a prescribed one for a couple days during initial WD.

I really like Melatonin but sometimes you will wake up a few hours after taking it. I think there are magnesium supplements called Natural Calm or something that help some people. Bananas for the legs.

I hope you get some sleep soon! I was awoken by my sick 8 year old
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank You

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I did manage to get about 4 hours of sleep last night. I am just feeling functional today. It was a rough night and morning but I am OK.
First I just cannot stress to all of you enough that to know that I had people replying to me at 3am and to wake up to many more made me tear up. I am NOT alone in this and your kindness and suggestions blow my mind!
Joining this group has been the best thing I could've done.

I read some of these last night as I was tossing and turning but couldn't reply. And I am happy to tell you that I did NOT take it and I am SO GLAD today at this moment that I hung in there and didn't take a pill to solve my problems.

I honestly don't think I would abuse Xanax as I have never liked how it makes me feel but I want to break the cycle of thinking that I can just reach for a pill to make anything better. And this is NOT worth the chance at being physically addicted to anything again. And the fear that it would be worse than what I have experienced thus far with opiate WD is enough to keep me strong.

Fancy - to hear that yours is gone after is 18 days is encouraging. I can deal with RLS for 10 days. Maybe even 20 if that is what it takes. You helped me once again remind myself that this is not something I will have forever. I think I forget that regularly. And congrats on reaching Day 19!!

Aems - I agree with you that Xanax is NOT my DOC. I have never liked it but used it when needed. And I plan to dig out my heating pad for tonight.

Cleanin - sorry you couldn't sleep last night either You exp with Xanax was enough to make me pass on the drug for a night!

LilyJane - your post hit me loud and clear. I am sorry you had to experience that with Xanax.

ElectricE - you opened my eyes for SURE. As I said, Xanax is not my DOC but the thought of becoming physically dependent. No thank you.

I am already dreading tonight because I go back to work tmrw and I need sleep to perform my job. I thought I would be feeling 100% by today and it is frustrating that I am not. I am seeing that I am never realistic about what this drug can do to you.
BUT I am going to try to stay in this moment. Not think about the what if's. I will deal with those as they come up with the help of everyone here! I feel so grateful for that
Have a wonderful day!!
Olive
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning lrntolive,

I'm glad you had 4 hours of sleep. In the beginning of my detox I had zero seconds of sleep - 4 hours is wonderful.

Believe me, Xanax was NOT my DOC either. I don't like the way it makes me feel as I like to feel the energy that opiates give me - BUT I am an addict and if one is good, then 4 or 6 HAS to be better. I would end of taking more than the prescribed amount and didn't even realize my body had grown dependent upon it - and this was 2 prescriptions of 30 each. The detox from that (along with opiate withdrawal) had me suffering for far longer than a regular opiate detox takes.

I think just being an addict we need to stay away from anything that alters us.

I still have insomnia, but have found if I "listen" to TV and not "watch" it, I somehow fall asleep. I have to have the TV going to keep the thoughts at bay, but if I just close my eyes and listen (usually Law and Order on DVR) I fall asleep.

Good luck with sleep tonight.

(Personally, I would get rid of the Xanax so it won't be calling to you during those nights of NO sleep at all)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are staying positive and that's half the battle.

If you have the energy today you might want to go to a larger grocery store and look in the vitamin section for Melatonin. I think a lot of people start anywhere from 1-5mg. I take 3mg. Melatonin is the naturally occurring substance that our body makes that makes us sleepy. Just my suggestion. You can research it.

Also grab some bananas while you're there and a good multivitamin!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

are you drinking a lot of coffee

When I stopped drinking I drank a lot of coffee and did not sleep good it will get better
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Xanax was my DOC.
I never ever thought I would get addicted it.
worst withdrawl ever.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Goodmorning,
I know it's tough not getting enough sleep. That is probably one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Like you, I became so used to self-medicating. I used to pop a pill for this and a pill for that....it's sooo hard not having that instant relief!!!!

I still have problems.... So I don't know if my advice is helpful. Lol I have found that excersize during the day, not too close to bedtime. Covering the windows with dark shades in the windows of my bedroom and keeping a constant stream of noise, such as a fan or air conditioner in my room while sleeping has helped tremendously. Actually, ocean sounds or rain sounds etc from the Internet helps even more, but some people don't like that .... Such as my husband. (Sigh)

Anyway, it gets better ..... I hope!!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an amazing resource this is! I have thought of throwing my xanax away but it is like my safety blanket to know that if I have an early morning meeting that I can take that to sleep and perform the next day. Or if I start to "lose it" I will have something to comfort me even though I have never used them for that in the past. It is that damn pattern of thinking I need a pill for everything UGH!! I'm not ready to throw it away but I don't have plans to take it at this moment. That is the best I can do for now.

I have always had a hard time sleeping. Even when I took opiates, I would take an OTC sleep aid or a Xanax if I had an early morning meeting.
I wonder if I have a physical or mental addiction to xanax already? I mean I always have them - I just don't take them every day. I take them usually like 3-4 nights per week and a very small dose .05. I have gone an almost entire week without any and I don't freak out or anything. But they are nice to have on hand as I like immediate gratification! But I have been using them this way for many years. I never felt I had to take them every night.... but it has been weekly for a long time... I don't even know when I started really as I never thought this to be an issue. Doesn't everyone pop a pill if they need to sleep? I guess I never thought I could be addicted to them as I don't crave them and i don't think I go into WD if I don't take it for a few nights but I don't think I have ever not taken it for more than 5 days apart. I'm a little worried now....... I didn't even see this type of thing as a problem. Like I said, i don' think about them or crave them. but maybe I am in mild WD from these as I haven't put anything in my body since I've been in WD just out of fear that I would get addicted to something else.
What are the WD symptoms for Xanax and how long do they take to kick in?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you ever increased the dosage either yourself or with the doctor?
.5 is a really low dosage. Have you ever taken handfuls to sleep?

Are you pre occupied right with the thought of it?

My wd was insomnia shakes and hallucinations.

Btw - WELCOME! glad you are here!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi earthsteps -

I have taken 2 on occassion if I cannot sleep but not often. And my script always lasts longer than I need it to so I think I'm OK as of now. Thank god. But I am afraid to take them right now as I don't want to risk another addiction.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like you are abusing it - good! Have you found any other sleep aids? Maybe there is something else that can help you?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My Xanax withdrawal had me seeing bugs crawling on me. After awhile I just stopped batting them off of me (as they weren't really there), but sometimes I would bat it anyway just in case it really was a bug. That lasted 14 days. I would not take a benzo for anything now as the withdrawal made me feel like I was going crazy. I was on a low dose too (although I would take 3 to 4 at a time.)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I found that drinking plenty of water and making sure that I took electrolyte pills (available at Whole Foods in 1 combo-Country Life) helped a lot. Electrolyte= Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium, (taken together) helps a lot for RLS.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank Pamel - I'm going to give that a try. And lilyjsne - I cannot even imagine what you went through with that WD. Sounds horrible!

I wonder how much longer I will have the RLS? Today is day 8 so hopefully not much longer.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't think you have to worry too much at this point. My addiction kicked in when I couldn't get my pain pills and I started using them to combate WD. Like I took more then prescribed to help sleep through my WD. When I would get more of my actual doc I didn't need them. When I went clean from the morphine and Oxys, as a condition of signing up for the IOP I'm now attending I had to give those up too. That's when I noticed WD symptoms. They were extreme anxiety, shakes, tremors, hearing weird buzzing sounds or actual sounds seemed like they were zooming in or out (frequency changes), hallucinations, racing thoughts, loss of concentration and memory problems. In a nut-shell like I was going crazy!