Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

I need sleep. should i take a xanax? or suffer through?

Notices

I need sleep. should i take a xanax? or suffer through?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well congratulations CleaninLI,
sound like you are on the road to recovery! That is one WD that I never want to experience and I hear it can take forever. I am going to be very careful with Xanax and try to not take it at all. My son takes this daily for a medical condition. He doesn't abuse it but I worry about the day that the doctor may try to change his meds because he will most definitely have a physical addiction to this.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would definitely advise against. Benzo problems are just not fun. Try something natural, maybe? Melatonin is an option, though it was never quite enough for me. Here are a few other tips:

1. Use your bed for only sleep and sex. No TV!
2. Get a white noise machine.
3. No caffeine after dinner.
4. Try warm milk at bedtime, or an herbal tea.
5. Try a guided meditation for sleeping.

I ended up adding in a natural remedy from naturalsleepformula.net too. The combination of all of them really alleviated my insomnia.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow. The conservative part of me says don't even think about Xanax. But the reality part of me says. I have never had a problem with Xanax. So IF YOUR DOCTOR says for you to take it. Then weigh the options. Ask for a small script of .25 mg and have someone hold it for you if after you and your doctor discuss it's the right choice.

But before I take it I would experiment with some naturals such as
Melatonin
Holly basil
Rescue Remedy

You never know. One of those may do the trick. Melatonin helped me while on suboxone.