Notices

A "non-addict Heroin User"

Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question A "non-addict Heroin User"

Before I even begin explaining the situation, I'm curious what you guys think about the possibility of the case that a person can be or have been an IV heroin user for a without becoming addicted, and how would one discern between abuse/dependency/addiction with opiates in general?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't personally know anyone who has shot heroin and wasn't addicted. I knew young 19yo girls who dabbled with snorting and didn't really get addicted. My best friend looked at me after she OD'd and said she didn't have a problem. I think once you're putting that needle in your arm, or wherever, you are past the point of recreational use.

I could be wrong. There could be that .001% of IV users that can moderate their use. Dependency is the body needing the drug. Addiction is the same, maybe mental/ physical. Abuse is using heroin. Abuse of opiates is using them beyond a time frame needed prescribed by a physician.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If someone can stop using at any time, without any ill effects, then they probably are not an addict.

If someone suffers withdrawal or feels a compulsion to use again, then they are an addict.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi thinkcritically,

Welcome to SR! I agree with the above posters. Perhaps a person could start out using recreationally. The problem is after using for a while the brain begins to change causing addiction. How long and to what degree differs from person to person. If this person uses pretty much every day then most likely they are addicted. Also, the fact that the person is an iv user makes me believe that they are an addict. IMO shooting seems pretty hardcore for just a recreational user. I could be wrong about that.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So I'm curious about the explanation?

The euphoria caused from shooting heroin is something that makes me shudder, want to puke, feel ashamed, makes me wonder how I lived, and also wonder how I actually cleaned myself up. Of course I am back recovering from opiate pain pills so maybe I never did really clean up. Just moved on to another drug years later. Guess the brain always remembers?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thinkcritically View Post

I'm curious what you guys think about the possibility of the case that a person can be or have been an IV heroin user for a without becoming addicted
when we were young teenagers
we would fire up on most Friday evenings (a good amount)
never seemed to be a problem
BUT
a few of my friends who did it just a little more often
soon were very strung out

is there a safe amount to do before becoming addicted
no

MB
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why use heroin regardless?