Notices

I'm in actual pain

Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in actual pain

I hurt myself tonight. I had stupid flip flops on and I was playing with the kids. I was running down the steps and totally wiped out down the steps. I twisted my foot and now I'm afraid some weird little bone on the top is broken or just sprained really bad. It's swollen on the top and really really painful. I've been elevating and icing. I also took some ibuprofen.

Anyway, I don't want to go to the ER on a Friday night. I don't want to take pain pills. This is mostly just a vent. I'm just physically in pain and feel like this stinks after the month of getting clean I just went through. I'm sure this won't be the last time something like this will happen. I was just hoping it would be a little longer.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, no OUCH!!! I'm sorry your in such pain, Fancy!! I can just imagine how you must feel! You worked so hard and went thru all those wds! I really think you should have it looked at, though. What if its broken? A few years ago, when my son was like 4 or 5. He was taking a bath and splashed water on the floor. I was wearing flip-flops, also. I slipped and smashed my foot on the bathtub, breaking one of my toes. For whatever reason, I chose not to go to the emergency room. (I didn't think it was that serious.) Anyway, my toe is crooked now. In hindsight, I wish I had gone, kind of dumb when I had insurance. Anyway, even if the pain does go away, you really should have it checked out. (Assuming you have insurance and/or can afford it.) You don't know if it will cause you a problem later on. Anyway, let us know how it goes, ok?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

That stinks. Not the thing you need to be dealing with right now. Try to stay off it if possible.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Clean! It actually feels a little better this morning. Still a little swollen and hurts to walk on. I have big Flinstone feet anyway, so it's a little hard to tell about the swelling lol. I think my ankles were a little swollen from subs, but that should be gone after 10 days off (woo!). I'm so silly, I have implants from having breast cancer, so of course the first thing I checked when I fell, was the implants! LOL! That made my husband laugh. Important things first.

My addict brain is thinking, if this would have happened a few months ago I would be fine. Could have popped 30mgs of hydro and take the dog for a walk, but then 30 more and so on. I have 1 Oxy 80 left that I held back for some stupid reason. Like 'let's see if I can do this with that thing sitting up in the cabinet'. I'm not going to lie, I have thought about taking it. But then I think, um pretty sure they wouldn't give someone an 80 for a sprained ankle/foot. I do have insurance but I owe the hospital money from scans I had to get so I could try and show I had a legitimate reason for wanting so many refills- ha! My husband is being sweet. My kids were scared. I'm going to try and rest it and do what normal people do when they hurt themselves.

What do they say to do in recovery groups and meetings when you actually are in legitimate pain? I need to get in a group. My psychiatrist doesn't require it, so I have just been reading and trying to do it on my own.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I think over the counter non narcotic pain meds is what they suggest. Lol. They actually do help with pain. I was quite surprised because for years I told myself that stuff didn't work!!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha Dec! Don't those things hurt your liver ;-) I'm taking the ibuprofen and being a good girl. I'm glad I don't have to work for a couple more weeks (school).
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fancyfee View Post
Ha Dec! Don't those things hurt your liver ;-) I'm taking the ibuprofen and being a good girl. I'm glad I don't have to work for a couple more weeks (school).
I Take ALEVE for bad back. Amazing stuff!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool pain

Hello I no where your coming from, I've been soba for a while now but I'm disabled because of my back an torn hamstring in my right leg. My DR has me on pain management meds you no I don't like to have to take them but I don't have any other way to threat the pain, I've had all the shoots in my back no help but my nurolagist wants me to have this nerostimulater inplanted he says that I might be able to stop my meds????????????????? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but I'm thinking about it what do I have to loose!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I no in my case its hard because my wife is an addict to shes on suboxone thank god an holds my meds, if I had them they would be gone ya no she gives them to me buy the day an I try to stay at a low dose but my head says more an that would happen if they were in my hands. hang in there.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Eddie! I hope your pain can be treated and happy that you have your wife to help you! I wish I would have given my meds to my husband way back when I actually needed them. I knew I was an addict and playing with fire to even start taking them. It took me a long time to admit to him that I had a problem and needed help. I was sitting in the chair crying after one day trying to CT off my oxy and he was like, what the heck is wrong with you? I admitted everything and he started going through the cabinets and finding all the empty bottles. He just stared in disbelief. He was like, you're just going to quit, today, no more and everything will be fine. Ugh, wish I would've could've. That's when I called the doc and tried hydro instead. Rinse, lather, repeat...same story. He's been very understanding and helpful now. He's proud of me.

I like to joke about it a little too much though. Like this morning he was running out to get me more advil and asked if I needed anything else. I joked and said if he ran into anyone with some perc it would be nice. He stared at me and said it wasn't funny. Then I of course apologized. It isn't funny but that's my defense mechanism. Poor guy.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hurt myself tonight. I had stupid flip flops on and I was playing with the kids. I was running down the steps and totally wiped out down the steps. I twisted my foot and now I'm afraid some weird little bone on the top is broken or just sprained really bad. It's swollen on the top and really really painful. I've been elevating and icing. I also took some ibuprofen.

Anyway, I don't want to go to the ER on a Friday night. I don't want to take pain pills. This is mostly just a vent. I'm just physically in pain and feel like this stinks after the month of getting clean I just went through. I'm sure this won't be the last time something like this will happen. I was just hoping it would be a little longer.
You know how Murphy's evil cousin works. We will call him Jagaloon. Jagaloon will show up at a recovering addicts door when he is least welcome. Give Jagaloon a Motrin. A swift kick in his butt and invite him to leave. You are victorious and Jagaloon needs to go be with losers.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

MK thank you! Jagaloon is definitely a failure!

You made me smile and it's been a rough day. I'm not sure if it's the 'P' word (PAWS), kind of like you don't say the 'S' word on the golf course (shank, oops I said it). But I laughed so that's a victory. Hope you are having a nice weekend with the fam!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Clean! It actually feels a little better this morning. Still a little swollen and hurts to walk on. I have big Flinstone feet anyway, so it's a little hard to tell about the swelling lol. I think my ankles were a little swollen from subs, but that should be gone after 10 days off (woo!). I'm so silly, I have implants from having breast cancer, so of course the first thing I checked when I fell, was the implants! LOL! That made my husband laugh. Important things first.

My addict brain is thinking, if this would have happened a few months ago I would be fine. Could have popped 30mgs of hydro and take the dog for a walk, but then 30 more and so on. I have 1 Oxy 80 left that I held back for some stupid reason. Like 'let's see if I can do this with that thing sitting up in the cabinet'. I'm not going to lie, I have thought about taking it. But then I think, um pretty sure they wouldn't give someone an 80 for a sprained ankle/foot. I do have insurance but I owe the hospital money from scans I had to get so I could try and show I had a legitimate reason for wanting so many refills- ha! My husband is being sweet. My kids were scared. I'm going to try and rest it and do what normal people do when they hurt themselves.

What do they say to do in recovery groups and meetings when you actually are in legitimate pain? I need to get in a group. My psychiatrist doesn't require it, so I have just been reading and trying to do it on my own.
I like u
Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just had to comment on the Jagaloon. Jagaloon loves to creep in my life all the time, all the time if I am not going strong. The stronger I am and the longer I am sober, the less he shows up. Its so true too that when I was first trying to get clean off the opiates when I had pain I would think just this time. NO, you will end up back down that road so fast. Go back and read through some of my threads, If I would've stuck with sobriety the first time, I'd still have my sobriety, I'd still have my 38k retirement and so many other things...but my back hurt bad enough where I thought I could control it. 3 years later.....
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks icandoit! I didn't use today and I was pretty proud of myself! It was a tough day! Emotionally, physically, and personally. Thank you for the support. I've read your thread and I'm praying for you. So scary!

Deeker thank you!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fancyfee, I went to get a massage right now and was thinking about what you had said about how you hurt etc. And what to do about actual pain. I was laying there thinking about how the oldtimers told me when I hurt my back after being clean to stay away.. I didn't listen. Now after still struggling with sobriety (day 3 today) since I first logged on here in November of 2011, I wish I would've listened. It's not that easy though. Our AV plays major tricks on us. MAJOR. It leads us to believe there is something really wrong, however I learned that once I was off opiates and clean for some time my back was better then ever. And I learned that a simple tylenol or ibuprofen worked better. But still I struggled, and I still struggle. That can be a whole another post

And as I was laying there I was thinking how I still am fighting wanting to quit drinking. Then something came to my head, and it was a huge aha. Drugs have caused me to lose my relationship, house, small business, move countries twice, my retirement (even though only 35 it was 38k) trust from my family (have regained some but still not all) an huge head hit that I didn't know why it happened, tons and tons and tons of money, and the list continues. WHY in GOD's NAME would I want to risk taking another drink or drug? WHy, so one day I can wake up and be 55 like my mom and still battling? My mom is my best friend, and someone I have watched switch addictions for years. From booze, to pot, opiates, xanax, klonopin, gambling, scratchers, food, shopping, and back to the beginning again and again. Do I really want to sit here and keep thinking that I can handle my booze its the pills that are my DOC or is it everything???? WHO am I fooling.

So, I have known this and said this. I have this deep hole that likes to be fed. It wakes up around after work time. thats why I liked to have pills, I was still functional, chill, and was doing what I needed to do. Expect I wasted hours on hours chasing them. Where am I going with this? I don't know. I just know the addiction is deep, I know what I need to do. You mentioned your husband didn't know (either did mine) and that you make jokes of it. You mention join a group. DO IT. And I will too. We can talk on here and help each other out. Even though I have lost majority of materialistic and my relationship, I still have a top notch job and one of the top schools in china, and I have my pride, (barely) and my daughter is unreal. Amazing and healthy and not damaged (only 2.5), BUT if I keep up with this BS she could easily be....

Fancyfee, stay strong. Know that taking even one IS not an option. Flush that 80 you have for a rainy day. NOW. Please. Please. Please.

talk soon Sorry for rambling.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you! You're so right! I have a pretty amazing life right now that I could seriously screw up if I don't get my act together.

I think I'm struggling to find what makes me happy. What I enjoy. I was going to go play golf last night but my stupid foot was hurting so bad I can't even walk on my treadmill
Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You should really wrap your ankle and foot up. Or you could send your husband to Walmart or Walgreens for an ankle brace, those are comfortable and inexpensive, they help a great deal with the healing, you'll immediately feel a difference. I suggest the ankle brace over bulky wrapping, most have to wrap multiple layers to get the support they need. I hope you strongly consider it, it will support healing.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fancyfee Hello just want to say a few things isn't it true that we think different than a (NORMAL) person an how we view things on a daily basis on a lot of different issues, its like apples an oranges its pretty funny in a way. but thanks. ED