Notices

Physical Appearence After Sobriety

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Appearence After Sobriety

Hi all! I'm new to this site, although through my struggle for the last 2 1/2 years google would route me here with my questions, and I always found great answer. So I finally decided to join.
A little bit about my situation...After my husband died in Afghanistan three years ago, leaving me a widow and single mother at 23 with a 2/12 year old, I was devastated, at times emotionless, and angry. I started using Percocet after a breast augmentation and found the euphoric effects to give me the happiness I had so longed for. I tried to cure my emotional pain with a physical substance, only to find months later that I had made a huge mistake. I was hooked! I went from the big white percs to OxyContin. I was buying off the streets. Over a two and half year time period I wasted $700,000 (my husbands life insurance policy) on pills, and my shopping addiction. I live everyday with guilt for wasting mine and my son's money on pills. I tried to quit CT, and ended up in the hospital after a seizure. Of course as I'm sure you all know what the withdrawals are like. My eyelashes even hurt! So I tried tapering, that didn't work. I got taken advantage of by a woman trying to sell me a detox program where impurities are drawn out through the feet. Which would have done nothing for the withdrawals. I refused to pay her because she never once out of the four times I spoke to her on the phone, did she tell me what to expect. I then found suboxone. I've been on suboxone for 6 months.
Next Monday I am flying to Michigan to do rapid detox. Other than still being on opiates, I am a healthy candidate for this procedure.
So my question is...once I'm clean, and I have all the opiates flushed from my system, will my physical appearence get better, and how long after will I notice a difference if so?
I am 26, 27 in April. Before opiates I weighed a healthy 125-130 lbs at 5'5". For the last 2 1/2 years the highest weight gain I've been able to maintain is 116 lbs. No matter how much I eat, no matter how much junk food and sodas I consume I can't gain weight. I also have trouble with acne outbreaks. I started using birth control thinking it was just my hormones, but the acne still persists. All over my chin, around my mouth, and on my cheeks. Sometimes ill have three big bumps on my chin and two on each cheek. I look skinny, unhealthy, I've lost my color, and I've had people tell me I look like I've gotten older. That I look like I've aged years. I was a model before the opiates, and after I'm completely clean I want to go back to modeling, but if I look like I do now I can't.
I would also like to know if my mood, demeanor, and emotional state would change for the better? My b/f says I act like I'm bi polar, which I am not and I'm wondering if that has to do with me still being on a form of opiates. I never used to act "bi-polar". Did anyone else have the same problem?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rapid detox? Good luck with that. Suboxone has a very long half life and stays in your system much longer than oxys so I'm not sure how a "rapid" detox is gonna deal with that. Sorry to hear about your problems but your situation will get much better all the way around if you manage to get off the opiates. You'll feel better and you'll look better too but it's not gonna happen overnight. Some symptoms last a real long time.

I'm 9 months clean from a ten year opiate bender and I still don't sleep more than 6 hours a night, even after a busy day when I'm dog tired. It was much worse when I first quit but as I've said many times before, your mind and body are going to take time to achieve a natural balance after carpet bombing them with narcotics. The most important thing to remember when you get clean is to NEVER think you can get away with taking just one more. No matter what reason your brain comes up with. To relapse is to start from ground zero all over again.

Just take comfort in the fact that many people have gotten clean and so can you. Besides, it's tough to be a good parent when one is a junk head. Even though the dope will try and tell you all the things you can do "better" while still using. Of course it's BS. Good luck to you.