Notices

Day 1

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Today is my first full day (or will be when it's over) marijuana free. I really need some advice on how to get through my day. I never though MJ could be so mentaly addicted or have such a strong hold on me.

To make it worse I've convinced myself that not smoking is causing anxiety, restlessness and exhaustion. I want to just go to sleep right now or smoke a blunt. Whichever I just want to not be so sad and depressed.

Does anyone have any good ideas to occupy myself and make it over this hump? I'm sure I will be obsessively scrolling his forum for the next couple weeks at least until this craving is gone!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! Stay active and busy!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Jellybelly,

I'm a recovering pothead, twenty years stoned and seven months clean. I don't have all the answers but I can tell you what I did to feel better when I quit.

I read at night and took really hot baths to help me sleep. And I still didn't sleep very well, so I tried to accept that that was just how it was going to be for a while. Meditation helps, too.

I knew I was going to feel crappy for a while, so I tried to do things that made me feel better. I like making things, so I made gifts for my friends. I tried to treat myself to good food, and other things I liked. Exercise also helped me feel better, and helped me sleep at night. I've started taking karate classes, which is good for my mind and body and it feels good to hit something.

I also didn't have any clean friends, so I started attending NA meetings in my neighborhood, just to meet and be around people who weren't drinking or getting high. It was really weird at first, and I was certain I didn't belong there and didn't fit in and that it wouldn't work for me. But I met really nice, cool, supportive people and kept going.

Yeah, a blunt sounds good, but soon it would lead right back where I was: isolated, depressed, anti-social and completely useless. And chained to it. I have never heard of a pothead who tried smoking again and didn't eventually fall right back down to their rock bottom or deeper. Herb is dangerous because everything tells us that everyone does it and it's a soft drug and maybe it's controllable. Not for me.

This is just the stuff I did to get through the days at first. Then it's time to address the things about myself that created this hole in the first place. I get my support for this from therapy, from NA, and from this forum.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Jellybelly)) - weed has never been my problem, but I've seen a lot of people addicted to it. I'm really proud of you for Day 1, and prayers going out for day 2 and beyond.

I do have to say, I've abused a lot of things over the years. The initial time of doing without was never fun, depending on the substance I had insomnia, irritability, anxiety, etc. It never lasted and recovery is totally awesome!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy