Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Wanna quit but dont want to go through opiate withdrawal.tremadol for a week?

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive been addicted to opiates for about 2 years now and im ready to quit finally(about 20 10mg percs a day right now). Its ruined my life and took everything and everyone ive ever cared about away from me. I want to avoid the withdrawal part because ive went through it about 10times and its just unbearable for me at this point.

my ?is if i switch to tremadol for 1 week or 2 and just quit tremadol altogether after that would i skip the bad parts of opiate withdrawal? my cousin swears by the method that it will work but im not so sure. any advice will help,thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bigfat View Post
Ive been addicted to opiates for about 2 years now and im ready to quit finally(about 20 10mg percs a day right now). Its ruined my life and took everything and everyone ive ever cared about away from me. I want to avoid the withdrawal part because ive went through it about 10times and its just unbearable for me at this point.

my ?is if i switch to tremadol for 1 week or 2 and just quit tremadol altogether after that would i skip the bad parts of opiate withdrawal? my cousin swears by the method that it will work but im not so sure. any advice will help,thanks
I wish I could be the bearer of good news. But when I tried to use tramadol when quitting 30-50mg of hydro a day (3-5 norco). The trams were like throwing bricks in the grand canyon. You MIGHT take the edge off a touch, but it is not a miracle solution in my opinion. Don't forget that Trammies have an SSRI property to them, so it would be best, again in my opinion to avoid them unless a doctor rx's them for you.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tramadol is technically not a narcotic but it binds to the same mu-receptors in the brain as opioids. So no it won't help with the withdrawals if you're trying to get clean. When I was on a low dose of Vicodin for my chronic pain years ago, I would you tramadol to hold me over for a couple of days and keep the w/d at bay. Other than that you're just replacing one drug for another. We all wish there was a miracle pill that made detox easier but unfortunately there isn't.

I wish you well on your journey to sobriety and hopefully this'll be the last time you have to go through this.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Bigfat;3793459]Ive been addicted to opiates for about 2 years now and im ready to quit finally(about 20 10mg percs a day right now).

I am not a doctor and I wouldn't take any advice from anyone who is not. I went to a detox and was detoxed safely under medical supervision.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Bigfat, I hope you're still here cause I wanna tell you that 200mg/day is a pretty stiff habit. Even though many disagree, I think a controlled taper from high levels is the only way to minimize some of the pain from whatever the eventual jumping off point is. One must be disciplined and determined for a successful taper to work. I went from 100+mg/day down to 10 before finally getting totally clean but there is never any escaping the pain totally. Loperimide (Imodium AD) helps but I'd stay away from Trams for all the reasons already mentioned. Good luck! You won't believe how great you're gonna feel if you can just stay focused on the prize and finally break the chains of this bondage.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FMTT View Post
Hey Bigfat, I hope you're still here cause I wanna tell you that 200mg/day is a pretty stiff habit. Even though many disagree, I think a controlled taper from high levels is the only way to minimize some of the pain from whatever the eventual jumping off point is. One must be disciplined and determined for a successful taper to work. I went from 100+mg/day down to 10 before finally getting totally clean but there is never any escaping the pain totally. Loperimide (Imodium AD) helps but I'd stay away from Trams for all the reasons already mentioned. Good luck! You won't believe how great you're gonna feel if you can just stay focused on the prize and finally break the chains of this bondage.
This is the way that I would like to go. But everyone is different. Some people would argue just go through the agony of CT as taper just makes WD of longer duration but of lesser intensity. Who knows.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I detoxed... I took a 7 drug cocktail... I took tramadol (tapering doses starting with 150mg 3 times per day, clonidine, some muscle relaxants, anti-nausea meds etc... My MD said it was the same regimen they give someone with a severe heroin habit.

Did it take care of the withdrawal? Oh yeah, a lot of the traditional withdrawal symptoms... but the medication cocktail made me feel like I had the worst case of the flu ever. I spent most of my time for 5 days in bed and not eating a thing... and for an additional 7 it was as if all of my energy was zapped out of me.

I think there is no silver bullet here. Drugs may ease some symptoms but I can guarantee if you are a addicted, you will have a BAD week or 2... It's ok though... many are in the same boat as you!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bigfat

If you look up Tramadol on the internet or any drug site it will tell you that it IS an opiate. It is suppose to not have as addictive properties but for some people it is highly addictive.

Personally I believe it will just prolong your withdrawal. It may hold back some of those symptoms but you will still get them when you stop taking the tramadol.

I could only suggest TRYING to taper and then jump off and go cold turkey. If you have ANYONE to help you daily have them hold the pills and give them out in incriments to taper. It will take you about 1-2 weeks to feel better and at least 5 days to get the opiates out of your system. Or go to a doctor that you trust or to a detox center.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just tapered off Norco. Was doing 40-50 mg a day and I began my taper at half that dosage for five days and every five days decreased my dosage by half a tablet. After about 20 days I let my body tell me how much to decrease the dosage by how the withdrawal systems felt. I originally set up a taper to last 60 days but ended up jumping after 32 days when I was down to only half a tablet a day. This taper had minimal withdrawls. I was functioning normally every day, no diahrea, no vomiting, no sweats or chills, very minimal RLS. Does't hurt to give it a shot. Only you can decide what's best for you.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You see everything has its own price and the price must be fully paid. There are no shortcuts to withdrawal symptoms. All those people I have come across and who were addicted to opiate have had to go through the symptoms. Take heart, you can make it and start the long route to your freedom.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlowersJasmine View Post
You see everything has its own price and the price must be fully paid. There are no shortcuts to withdrawal symptoms. All those people I have come across and who were addicted to opiate have had to go through the symptoms. Take heart, you can make it and start the long route to your freedom.
That is not true. It is NOT the case for everyone. If one has the self control to do a slow taper, getting off these meds does not have to be a living hell. So perhaps all those other people you came across didnt' have what it took to do it slowly and honor their bodies. This chick can tell you it doesn't have to be hell.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aems I agree with you. I tapered and used Lyrica/benzos and it was NOT a living hell nor did I get hooked on Lyrica. I was tapering off Klonopin anyway. It really upsets me when people say its always a living hell. I fear that causes someone using even more fear to stop. Neither Lyrica or benzos get me high and never have. And yes there is some willpower needed in tapering but it can be done. It is NOT hell on earth for everyone and I want newcomers to know this. If they think that they are going to be even more scared to stop!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by georgiagirl5 View Post
Aems I agree with you. I tapered and used Lyrica/benzos and it was NOT a living hell nor did I get hooked on Lyrica. I was tapering off Klonopin anyway. It really upsets me when people say its always a living hell. I fear that causes someone using even more fear to stop. Neither Lyrica or benzos get me high and never have. And yes there is some willpower needed in tapering but it can be done. It is NOT hell on earth for everyone and I want newcomers to know this. If they think that they are going to be even more scared to stop!
I used the benzos too. Have never had a problem abusing them. Only take 1/4 to 1 tablet a day and mostly just at bedtime to help me sleep. I have CT in the past and I was scared to death of doing that again so made myself a plan and stuck with it until I was off. No fuss, no muss.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly. I'm currently taking my full Klonopin taper at bedtime just to sleep! I'm tapering off Klonopin to hopefully get pregnant....

But newcomers seriously. I have cold turkeyed once and this time I tapered. It was not a living hell either time. The cold turkey was of course a little rougher but in no way hell on earth. Just because you became hooked on a substance you more than likely never intended to doesn't mean you have to pay for your "sins" with hellish withdrawal. You will get through the physical and after that you can start a recovery program. The steps help a lot with "paying for yor sins" if you want to call it that.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was addicted to Tramadol for a short period of time.
takin up to 16 a day... but I ended up having seizures. they called it an overdose, but also realized that tramadol lowers the threshold of someone with just a spark of seizure activity...
My point being... be careful if you choose to switch to them, cause that was the scariest thing in my life.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I took Tramadol, 100 mgs, one Day 3 of my WDs, it took away all the discomfort; however, the stuff makes me want to vomit so it wasn't the best tradeoff. I was sick to my stomach all day, but the pain was pretty much gone, another mask, though.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So far, I think it is ok to use some tramadol. I am about a week into my taper, and I feel fairly well considering. But try to taper off of the non opiate things you are taking as well, then you should feel better at the end.

Take Care and Have Faith ~~~~~~~~
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

When I detoxed from oxy the addiction DR gave me several meds to help.

One was tramadol/ ultram. It didn't do crap for me, nada zilch it was like drinking water.

He gave me other things that helped a lot, but that did absolutely nada for me.

If you stop oxy and start tramadol you will withdrawal.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Oh yeah, he did mention that the brain will not start to heal itself till all the opiates are gone/ including ultram. So by using the ultram your just resetting the clock till you fully recover.