Notices

Dependence

Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dependence

Hello, I don't exactly fit in with this group but I found so much information here that I wanted to post. Three years ago I developed neuropathy with severe pain. Since that time, I have been taking MS Contin (time-release morphine) and Dilaudid daily. I started at 30 mg morphine and 8 mg Dilaudid a day; now I take 15 mg morphine and no Dilaudid. I want to stop taking this medication altogether, as I don't think the pain is there anymore.

But when I tried to stop taking the morphine, I was so tired and unmotivated I couldn't function. It was like the life energy was zapped out of me. I also had diarrhea, but none of the other withdrawal symptoms usually described. I lasted 3 1/2 days, and then I had to take the morphine again. Not because I craved it, but because I felt like I was slowly dying. No agitation, just that feeling that I could not move at all.

1- Has anyone else experienced this kind of withdrawal--being so tired and utterly void of energy? I don't understand why this withdrawal is so different from what I've read about--vomiting, chills, muscle aches, cravings. I want to know I'm not alone!

2- Why would an opiate like Dilaudid make me feel speedy? Is this a sign that I don't need it anymore? When I was very physically sick with the pain it did not have that effect on me.

I would appreciate it if someone could share their experiences
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even those not mentally addicted will become physically addicted/dependent to any drug they take for a long enough period of time. It is what it is, dosage will inevitably increase and there will be some rebounding symptoms that will occur when one stops that are similar to what caused one to take meds to begin with.

Opiate wd is an interesting bit of madness...what you go through now, is nothing compared to what it will be as times moves on and you have the next kick and the next kick. And the physical is so wrapped up in the mental because mentally what you hate the most will be what is most severe...

My husband kicked a nasty heroin/pill habit and didn't throw up once ( he doesn't mind the stomach part) got the runs like day 12 or so...not bad, ate the whole time but then he was hallucinating the first 2 days and I just kept feeding him and feeding him At the time I didn't know any better...but then at 3 weeks in still not sleeping, still feeling that spiders in the blood feeling, still fighting the chills...well the ride is always the same ride when you aren't so sure you are ready and can't hang on and be patient for the symptoms to stop, because they will stop and faster if one accepts this is what they have to go through.

If you can get past the I feel like ****, and get up move, exercise and kick in the good chemicals in the brain you will get through this especially if you are done ... because what you feel is the drug and it will be worse continuing to use...the relief is your brain getting what it wants because it thinks it needs the drug. Opiates hijack the reward system ... screw up what is so normal for being human. If working properly we seek out food, water, sex, shelter, companionship...as a means to survive. When you use opiates your brain seeks out, opiate, opiate, opiate ... and nothing else can be seen as being needed for survival...

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you have some physical dependency n your GO could wean you off this. I think withdrawals can be different for different people.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

*gp
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=incitingsilence;3643160]

...what you go through now, is nothing compared to what it will be as times moves on and you have the next kick and the next kick. And the physical is so wrapped up in the mental because mentally what you hate the most will be what is most severe...

What do you mean by the next kick and the next kick? The information you've shared is very helpful; Thank you!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Each time you stop using, then start using again the next wd can be worse. The first time one attempts to stop is the easiest. Those after especially if the amount you take goes up gets worse ... which I know for you hasn't as of this point, but went down by what you shared.