Notices

Question...I am confused.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question...I am confused.

I am clean and sober 28 years. Was a member of NA for years but everyone kept relapsing so there was virtually no more meetings- seriously! It was sad.....upstate NY. I had like 4 years and i was considered an oldtimer at the time. wasnt good for me and i had to keep with AA. Then too there was the group secretary who was murdered in his front yard......that meeting broke up......the whole thing was a shame.

Anywho...I am on vacation in Cape Cod MA and met a woman tonight who has 5 years "clean time" (but still drinks...?) I was drinking a Red Bull and she said NA frowns upon eneregy drinks cause it gives you a rush. ???? "I am powerless over Red Bull and my life is unmanagable?"...dont see that happening. To be gut level honest...I loved the drugs....it was the lack of control, self destrruction and ALL the consquences in my life.

How the hell does a Red Bull got frowned upon....does that mean i cant ride rollercoasters either or go to a good sidewalk sale? Play poker? go fishing? it ALL GIVES ME a "RUSH".

Is this a possible philosphy of where she is attending meetings, one group in particular, geographical or has NA really gotten that fanatical?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That just sounds silly maybe she misinterpreted something ?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

It sounds like individual personal opinions to me. Of course if one's use of Red Bull is more than just an occasional one, one might want to look at it as a possible issue.....Aside from some individuals in NA perhaps frowning on Red Bull.....NA (the organisation, not just some individual members) definitely frowns on alcohol.

See the NA Basic Text; Chapter Four; How It Works; 5th paragraph following the listing of the steps...........:

"Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused a great many addicts to relapse. Before we came to NA, many of us viewed alcohol separately, but we cannot afford to be confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover."

(o:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. My question really has nothing to do with alcohol. I fully understand the definition of being clean and know the woman ws in denial about the alcohol.

Why would drinking a carbonated beverage of cafienne B vitamins and sugar even be considered an "issue". I drink energy drinks for the very purpose they are intended for. I have a 4 shot expresso latte every morning....thats an "issue"?

NARCTOTICS Anonymous.....we re talking about saving people from addiction that causes serious and aweful fatal physical addictions. Destruction and trauma to the self and others including society. Fatal overdose and death...I know several people who have committed suicide because they could not stay clan. I personnally cany buy into the issue that my energy drink loaded with cafienne vitamins preservatives and chemicals is an "issue" detrimetal to my personal recoery. Drinking Redbull does not bleed into the concept of a drug is a drug in my personal philosphy. I was low bottom .....homeless. so, I can drink Redbulls and suffer no negative consquences what so ever. Howvr: I feel buzzed...and apparently according to some people I am "getting away " with it....is it jealousy? A purist movement? A right wing conservaive social movement in NA? Do people REaLLY feel this way? Is this the new set of codes and ethics for NA....I just want to undertand.
I also go to DRA and this has never been a topic of conversation we are too busy trying to achieve spiritual fitness and heal from the soul sicknessthat will kill more people than any 12 step program will save. I welcome more input as I still can't wrap my brain around it even being in recovery for such a long time. Thank you again and I wish everyone a joy filled day
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Acceptance is not submission. It's acknowledging the reality of a situation and deciding what you are going to do about it. - Anonymous
I do think your signature line is excellent ..

Let's both enjoy another day of blessed recovery
Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mo S. Some people are just a big extremist I believe. Red Bull is not different then drinking a ton of coffee....same thing. I have seen some AA people drink some serious coffee.
I have also been to AA meetings were they believe NA people don't belong. They are "purists". Whatever...mind altering is mind altering. If you are using a substance to achieve mind altering feelings then you are abusing the substance.

Gamblers, over eaters, sex addicts...it's all the same concept....

No, I don't think a red bull or Monsters are over the top. Drinking them constantly might be though. What what I do....ignore that lady's comment and be glad you are sober today. It's about how you are staying sober...not what other people think of you or them taking your inventory.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've never heard of NA (official literature) comment on either caffeine or energy drinks. Nor have I heard individuals make much of them when others use them. I know people who chose to quit caffeine for their own well being or because they felt they were hooked on the feeling.

There will always be people ready to critique our programs. If I stay honest and open minded and keep working MY program, things that need to be set aside become clear to me. What may be an issue for another may not be for me and vice versa.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In the USA people can not by narcotics over the counter. I believe the last narcotic spiked beverage was the soda pop Coke-Cola in 1903.

Yes, caffeine and herbal mixes are not narcotics. Although high levels of either or can be dangerous with serious health consequences.