Notices

Stuck in someone else's rut

Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuck in someone else's rut

I have been with boyfriend for 5 years , he has been addicted to opiates for 3 of those 5 years . He has quit multiple times and relapsed every time . We also have a 2 year old together . This last week I kicked him out after relapsing , he was at 7 days and said I was stressing him out . I have been getting extremely frustrated with him using but also when he's detoxing . He has now asked if he can come home to detox .

I want to support him but also don't know if I should be putting myself and my daughter through this again !

I need advice !!!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome TSnelling. Sorry to hear what brings you here. It sounds like you have put up with a lot and given him plenty of chances and maybe he just isn't done yet. You need to do what is best for you and your daughter at this point. He is obviously an adult and if he truly wants to get sober he can find plenty of places to detox without coming home. After all he just went a whole 7 days and blamed his relapsing on you stressing him out. It sounds like he still hasn't accepted HIS problem and there is no valid excuse for using. I don't know the whole story of course, but blaming others and using it is an excuse to use tells me he still has lots of soul searching to do. He is using a common addict manipulation tactic to try to place blame elsewhere and take the focus off of him and his addiction.

You might want to post this over on the friends and family forum. They can share their experience in similar situations. Hang in there and remember you must do what is best for your child. You don't need him going through detox at home and stressing you out and making you crazy.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome TS

It's hard to give advice in these scenarios - but if you have doubts, listen to those doubts. Your, and especially your daughters, welfare should be paramount I think.

There are places your BF could detox - they won't be as nice as your place - but is that really your problem?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding ! I will definelty check out the other thread !