Notices

Goodbye heroin

Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goodbye heroin

Hey guys, i've been on this site reading people's experiences for the last week getting ready to start the battle for myself. My name is Simon and I've been using heroin for a few years. I went through a period of shooting up but managed to go back to smoking it as my main method. Its taken over my life, taken all my money, taken the relationships I care about and is threatening any chance of a future for me.

This morning, I went through the terrifying, heart-breaking ordeal of telling my parents and asking them for help. They have been really supportive and are ready to help me.

I knew that once I told them, I wouldn't be able to use anymore. I'm going to be housebound for a while. My phone and SIM card is gone - destroyed so no contact with dealers or friends that use. I'm stocked up on OTC medication ready for the horrific cold turkey experience.

Dark times are ahead for me, but some people seem to have gotten a lot of help from this forum, hence this post. I'm lucky to have some great, suportive people around me, but I'm gonna need all the help I can get! So if anyone who has been through similar situations can give some assistance as this goes on, i'll be eternally greatful.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome! Wishing you every success!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm really glad you and your parents are pulling together
welcome to our recovery community...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Stereo. Dark times are not ahead. Dark times are behind you! I know what you mean though. Yes withdrawals are no fun, but it is part of the process. A necessary step in getting your life back. A life chasing dope is no life at all. Glad you came clean and told your parents.

I have been where you are. Too many times in fact. I would not even want to guess how many times I have gone through withdrawals. Don't be like me. Get it right the first time. Reach out for whatever support you have available to you. This site, meetings, therapist, outpatient. If you have been at it several years you are going to need it. Once you start feeling better the thoughts don't just disappear. You need some people around to talk to when times get tough. It is not easy, but is so worth it.

Good luck. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Take care!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Si

D
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you have help from your family, that's huge! It feels like nobody can help, but everyone else will easily abandon you and you will feel it.
Good luck really!
I'm 30 days clean and its been like no other hell I've been through. Seriously, if you have never been there, expect the worse!
If you can be a addict, you can be clean. It's easier when you get there.
I spent so much time on here its silly, but its better than the other. Keep posting. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm still at it and yes, it is hard. But i'm gonna do this! can't wait for the pain to go, but hopefully i'll get there soon. My resolve is still strong.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

You might want to look into suboxone. I know for me I was so mentally addicted to the ritual of finding, using, and thinking about heroin that rellapse was so probable without it. Also yes its true, we let heroin lie to us and distract us while it destroyed our lives. Your going to be depressed for a while, so heres what you can do to help lighten the mental anguish of facing life without our crutch. See a therapist, look into anti-depressants, exercise, eat healthy, focus on sex and women or men as something to work towards as a reward for getting your life fixed and sober. Also, about the anti-depressant thing, I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you that you shoulf absolutely take suboxone and an anti-depressant. All I can say is that I use to addicted to heroin and because of suboxone and wellbutrin (anti-depressant) I have 32 days, exercise everyday almost, eat well, and most of all, got my life back and I feel happy, joyous and free.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. I did consider suboxone, but I really wanted to try it without any substitutes. I know its early days for me, but I'm still feeling mentally strong and positive about not using anymore. I know the cravings will come and that the battle is not over, but i've had such great support this week that it has enforced my feelings that it's the right (and only) thing to do.

I am a little worried about depression as I've had several periods of darkness in my life, which is what probably caused me to use in the first place. I've got a meeting with a drugs councillor next week, and i'm going to be going to NA meetings too. I've never really got on with any of the antidepressants i've used in the past (and i've had a few).., although, I've never heard of the one you mentioned...

I recently got a good job which could give me a good future and they are even putting me through college, which is great. It finally feels like the pieces of my life are falling into place. I just need a girl for when my sex drive is back! I still feel like i'm doing the right thing and i'm proud that i've come this far. I really wouldn't wish this pain on anyone, but its taught me the price to pay for abusing my body and life for all that time.

I hope I can keep on this track and stay mentally strong. I will be coming onto this site as much as possible as it's great to hear from people who have had, or are having the same experiences.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck n congrats on the new job
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you've never gone through this before, you might want to consider either an in-patient or intensive out-patient rehab program, where you can learn tools to turn to when the cravings and triggers kick in.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I have an appointment with a drug councellor tomorrow. Hopefully they can give me some advice / point me towards the aftercare i need. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself 10 days on... Still getting the aches and sleeping DOES NOT come easily, plus my mood is up and down like a yo-yo.... i can go from happy to sad to angry in the space of 5 minutes... Never had any doubt i've done the right thing though. That certainty is what has brought me this far. I feel sure I wont use again, but i know the danger is always there and it's part of me I may need to fight in the future. I just hope I can get back to 'normal' and get on with my life soon.