SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   A doctor said I was red flagged- help! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/245770-doctor-said-i-red-flagged-help.html)

keltie 01-10-2012 05:45 PM

A doctor said I was red flagged- help!

I got busted for doctor shopping. I know it's bad and i will never do it again. I admitted my transgression to my primary doctor. My question is this: how long is the "red flag" active for? Will my doctor forever refuse me pain meds? What if I go to a new doctor- will he/she see that I am "red flagged" forever? I am very scared. Thanks for your answers.

Impurrfect 01-10-2012 05:55 PM

(((keltie))) - I'm not sure how long the "red flag" stays with you, but I think the pharmacies are probably notified.

FWIW, I'm a recovering addict but before my addiction ruined my career, I was an ER nurse. We had "frequent flyers" that came in for pain medicines, and all the local hospitals were notified when they were out "shopping". However, if they were to come into the ER for a legitimate reason and needed pain medicine (like a broken bone or something) they were given pain medication. To be honest, I never saw any of them with legitimate reasons for pain medicine, but that's just my experience. To be totally honest, when one is known for doctor-shopping, their is a high level of suspicion on the part of doctors and nurses.

This is serious and may follow you around for years. Sorry to be "debbie downer" but it's just what I've seen. I don't know your reasons for getting the pain meds, but I would seriously focus on recovery and go from there. SR is a great help in that:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Ans 01-10-2012 07:48 PM

I was red flagged in 07 bc I failed drug screen and also found out I was prego at the same time. I am still red flagged now.But they already know my history and that I am now in recovery and they treat me well, and take care of my pain.. I have only been there once in the last 1 1/2 yrs. but went because I was in a car wreck and they admin pain med through an IV and I told them I didnt want to be sent home with any narco pain meds.. I have also been red flagged @ a pain management doc for getting pain meds from another dr at the same time. I got involed in a lot of shady stuff with a doctor.. but since I have been, clean I have had one scripted filled bc of oral surgery and didnt have any problems getting it filled.

Pandie 01-11-2012 08:35 AM

Did your primary care doc give you something to help with w/d's?

Ans 01-11-2012 11:31 AM

My doctor over prescribed me narco pain meds and methadone... I went to jail ( because he lied to my Probation Office when he called to confirm I should be taking all those pills). And went through d/t's in jail laying on a mat in a overcrowded holding cell those days were HELL.

lostgirl25 01-12-2012 10:55 AM

Stick with recovery. Not only doctors but pharmacies red flag and notify doctors. The reality is the dr. will cover himself. This will follow you a long time. There are consequences for not being honest with your doctor. I wish I had practiced this honesty sooner. Perhaps I would have years of the good life of clean and sober. 76 days and like the way I feel.

Ans 01-27-2012 01:13 PM

Yea.. In Ohio they have a computer system that links doctors and phams. together and they can pull each person SSN and see what narco's they have had filled, what doctor perscriped them ect... at the end of all this mess the doctor who wrote all my pain meds and many other peoples lost his licenses and is facing time in prison....

Ryegrizzle 01-29-2012 01:03 AM

Here in Louisiana once u r flagged it makes it almost impossible to get any narcotics. Only if u were in dire need would they help and it would be temporary, they flag u here for5 years and then review it but if u appeal it and show them u need the meds they can make exceptions from the board.