Notices

I'm scared of oxycodone withdrawls.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I'm scared of oxycodone withdrawls.

I have been addicted to oxycodone for nearly two years now, and I am ready to kick the habit. The first year and a half-ish I would take about one 7.5mg to one 10mg oxy a day, in the evening. For the remander of that time I jumped up to one 15mg a day in the evening. How should I detox? Cold turkey? Tapering? Will I have bad withdrawls? Will I get very sick from withdrawls or will it be more mental than physical?

Thank you.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Speak with your doctor. You won't get bad withdrawals from that low of a dose though. Mostly mental if anything.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you.

Personal stories/opinions from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OTR I'd read through some of the threads on here that are oxy related. There are many people's stories of how they got hooked and how they've attempted to get clean.

One thing that most people will tell you, however, is that any detox program should be medically supervised as you're most certainly going to feel some sort of physical and then mental withdrawal.

How did you get hooked in the first place? And is this the only drug you've been using?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeenDown2Times View Post
OTR I'd read through some of the threads on here that are oxy related. There are many people's stories of how they got hooked and how they've attempted to get clean.

One thing that most people will tell you, however, is that any detox program should be medically supervised as you're most certainly going to feel some sort of physical and then mental withdrawal.

How did you get hooked in the first place? And is this the only drug you've been using?
well initially I was introduced at age 16, I'm 21 now, I fractured my elbow and was prescribed 60 of 5mg percocet. I was hardly in pain, and was confused the doctor would prescribe such a large dose. However, I went along. Eventually I ran out, and found another source to fuel my habit. my habit continued for a few months, and I was not usong everyday, I would only used at parties or on the weekend. My supply dwindled and I just stopped, with very little mental withdrawl.

At 19 I began a new relationship, he knew a pain management doctor who would see me, and prescribe whatever I wanted. Shortly after I began taking oxy consistently. I was hooked, and eventually he was too. His tolerance skyrocketed and he began taking 60mg at once, multiple times a day. He is completely clean now and is getting out of rehab today. I don't want rehab, or assisted detox, I also can't afford it. I'm considering tapering down, and maybe taking valium(prescribed for anxiety, I dont mix with oxy) for insomnia.

I am on no other drugs/medication except for valium. I only take that if the rare situation happens where I run out of oxy. I never mix, for the chronic fear of overdose/interactions.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Beware of self medicating, whatever you do. That's what you are doing now, and it is a bad way to go. Why not just STOP using those drugs and accept whatever withdrawal you have to get through to quit? Even tapering off will involve withdrawals, just smaller ones, over and over and over for months. I'm not a big fan of it, having read lots of stories here, as well as my own.

Be careful if you've been using Valium, a benzodiazepine, for a long period. You can have seizures from benzo withdrawal, and it should NEVER be undertaken without medical supervision.

FT
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would stop over all but I have a family to attend to which is 6 kids and a wife I can't just leave it all up to her I put her through enough pain and stress with my addiction we went from having it all to having nothing and I know its from my selfishness
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Hey daprevster81,

I read on your other post that you are taking 20 mg of oxycodone (as Percocet) at a time and want to drop down to 5 mg. How much are you taking total every day, and how long have you been taking it? What is your plan?

FT