Notices

Day 5 clean from hydrocodone h***

Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 5 clean from hydrocodone h***

I'm new here and this is day 5 being clean from hydro's. I've been reading a lot about other people's experiences getting clean and it has helped a lot to know that I'm not alone in going through this. The depression can make you feel so alone! I just want to feel normal again! Its like I'm in this fog! I didn't realize I had such an addiction until I ran out of my medicine and woke up last Tuesday morning in the hospital and found out id had a seizure and had scared my 9 and 4 yr old boys to death. I knew then I had an addiction and had to stop. I was probably taking anywhere from 10 to 20 lortab 10's a day. I knew that was too much but I kept thinking that I did everything. so much better when I was on pills. I been taking 4mg of suboxone and now I'm down to 2mg a day and that has helped the withdrawls some. I feel more normal today than I have since my seizure. I think that scared me more than anything. I have 5 stitches in my face and there will always be a scar there to remind me what I went through. This is a hard road to travel but hopefully it will get easier as time goes by. I pray for everybody going through this!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Abrupt stopping often leads to seizures or heart attacks. Glad you're here!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Welcome!

Abrupt stopping often leads to seizures or heart attacks. Glad you're here!
That is not true of opiates. Benzos, anti-convulsants, alcohol, and some psych drugs, yes. Opiates, no.

This scenario suggests that katydid was either using more than hydrocodone or has an underlying medical disorder. This is NOT a diagnosis, just an observation.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Welcome Katy!

you have come to the right place, welcome. Sorry about your seizure, but sometimes we need things to wake us up. Yes, the depression will lift soon! I think by 2 weeks out i was feeling more and more myself once again! keep posting!

lily
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Katy, good luck to you as you trudge along the road to being clean.

FT has a very good point - you may want to talk to your doctor and find out what the underlying cause of the seizure was...not something you want to take chances on.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As soon as my health insurance kicks back in I am going to a neurologist to find out what caused my seizure. I'm kinda worried cause I've never had one before but it definately woke me up. The more I sleep the better I feel so I'm hoping I will feel even better tomorrow. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of my son's old girfriends had a seizure at the house - it turned out she was mixing soma with tramadol as well as an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety agent. She was on low dosages of all of them.

There are all kinds of funky drug reactions out there that some of our doctors never fully disclose.

If there were no other drugs involved then the neurologist is a good plan - definitely don't want to take a chance seizing when behind the wheel driving around.

Let us know what you find out...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Spica is right, there are many causes for seizures. The neurologist is a good idea.

Again, welcome to the forum.

I hope we hear more about your situation.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am taking Cymbalta (which is another evil drug but I won't get into that here lol) but I did take a suboxone but I waited like a day before I took my first one. That's the only other thing I was taking. Maybe I didn't wait long enough I dunno. I will be going to the neurologist in about 3 weeks. I just wish my energy would come back and this weird feeling and depression would go away. I would be doing good if it wasn't for that. I did get my stitches out today. But I am really missing my mom today which is how this whole addiction thing started in the first place. My mom had scleroderma and was on 2 methadone and 6 lortab 10's a day which she halfed with me cause I have fibromyalgia. Then she died in january and I used the tabs to get off of methadone and then kept taking the tabs for the fibro and to fight the depression until I was up to way to many a day. Now I've spent all the money my mom left me and about to lose the house she left me (which was in foreclosure months before she dies and nobody knew) and all for those da** pills. I shopped and popped till there's nothing left. It only made my depression worse in the long run. Anyway sorry I'm ranting and venting so much. I'll stop now lol.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

Hi katydid,

You deserve a lot of love and compassion for everything you have been through. Lord knows it's a lot more than a lot of other people have had to cope with.

Going off opiates that you were using for depression is going to bring you full circle back to the depression you had to start with. Plus, you have health problems that are probably scaring you.

I'm so sorry about your mom. Our parents can be a great deal of support and a safety net for us on many levels, so it is no wonder you turned to something less than healthy for comfort. I'm sure your mom would want you to get the help you need now to fix your health and get back to a normal life.

Don't ever worry about ranting and venting here. That's what this place is for, to be able to say anything and ask any question without fear of reprisal. There are lots of people here reading your story who care a lot about you, even if they don't post.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Length of use & severity of use can lead to seizures. opiates included.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

Your response caused me to go to the medical literature to search for the relationship between opiate withdrawal and seizure activity.

Except for tramadol withdrawal (and of course benzos, which are not opiates), I could find none. I did find a website trying to sell a recovery procedure that knocks people out that included the exact phrase you quoted, "length of use & severity of use can lead to seizures", but it did not back the statement up with medical journal references.

I just want to be accurate when warning people about detox and recovery issues. I don't want to use scare tactics that might cause someone to continue to use opiates out of fear for what will happen if they quit.

Always, always, people should check with their doctor to be sure they are healthy before taking any drastic steps with their physical health. Especially heavy alcohol users and benzo users are well advised NEVER to attempt to detox on their own.

However, opiate discontinuation alone is not generally associated with seizure activity based on anything I can find in the actual medical literature. Having said that, I am very interested to know if there is something I've missed in my search?

If so, please lead me to the medical literature that links opiate detox with seizure activity, and not an internet link to a detox facility trying to sell their method.

FT
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day five right now too. And I'm also new to this
I have never felt so helpless and I'm
Not sure how to go about help so I'm
Just going cold turkey due to not
Being able to find any. I was spending
Hundreds of dollars for three months
And lying to everyone who loved me
Including myself. I'm fading away.
The pain is too much physically
And mentally but I really want to get
Better. It's really nice to know that
I'm not the only one feeling this
Way
Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As far as I can tell, FT is right on the money - (of course, this is more your field of expertise, not mine). I have scoured the internet, bookstores and any journals I could get my hands over the past few years and to date I have yet to find a correlation between opiate detox and seizures. All bets are off when another drug is introduced into the mix...

Katy - you are not alone - my dosages increased exponentially with my emotional issues, too. My mom was diagnosed with alzheimers back in '06 - being a single child taking care of a mentally challenged mom (whom I love dearly - she passed back in '08) and a single mom to a brilliant young man who is smarter than me and just as willful and then also holding down a full time job with all the other BS that goes along with being responsible for everyone - I thought I had found a miracle drug that helped me cope. NOT

Now, like you, I am starting at square one - I also had been diagnosed as clinically depressed years ago - runs in the family like wildfire - I started back on low doses of prozac which were prescribed to me but I had stopped when I found my miracle drug. Now I am slowly getting better and am almost ready to get out there and start rebuilding my life.

Recovering is a tough road but one that I am finding is well worth the fight now that I am slowly returning to sanity. There will always be things about the last five years I will deeply regret but that is part of the human condition and today I have a choice about how I deal with the future.

I feel your pain and anxiety and am right there with you. Keep posting - let us know what you find and please feel free to rant away as much as you need to...
Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sundrop - hang in there - the worst of the symptoms should begin to lessen very soon.

Many of us have been through the pain and all the nasty symptoms that you are feeling AND THEY DO PASS - I am living proof of that and I only have 24 days away from the oxy road trip to hell.

Keep posting - if you want to discuss particular feelings or symptoms from the detox - go right ahead - there are a bunch of us who have been right where you are and we will be glad to help in any way...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

what im most afraid of is that i have done severe damage to my body... like possible ulsers? or my stomach lining is dead...
how do i know if its the with drawls or i really did damage...

I dont have a doctor. like "my" doctor...
im still on my parents insurance so i do have insurance.... i just dont know how to go about anything cause im only 19 and havent had to face anything like this.....
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What were you on? Was it oxy 30mg or some type of percocette or vicoden...the biggest issue with opiate abuse is when we use the oxy pills that have acetominophen in them (tylenol). The acetominiphen can affect the liver at higher doses.

At 19 you are most likely going to be just fine - our bodies are amazingly efficient machines if we do not abuse them too badly and many of us are able to recover. The younger the better...

This does not mean that it would not be a good idea for a dr check up and blood panel when you have the chance.

How are you feeling now? What are your primary symptoms?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

mostly loratabs 7.5's or 10... but when i couldnt find those it was roxies 30mg i guess roxies is the street name? not sure what its really called...
i just called a help line a few mins ago and hopefully well on my way to help....
im scared. nervous. lost and confussed..... but i need to do this. i need to get better. i want to live a pretty normal life. have normal healthy relationships.... i just want to be healthy and happy as a sober individual....
i just dont understand why it has to be so hard and painful....

mostly back aches.. head aches... and horrible diarahhea is the worst...
cant sleep or eat.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep, 30mg's are known as Roxies - I used to crunch 'em up and snort them like candy (well, not that I ever snorted candy). If they gave college credits in oxy use - I would be up to a Phd by now...

Can you share what dosage were you up to in an average day? That way I can share a little better as to what to expect.

The size of the dosage when we start to detox (along with the length of time we used) plays a big part in how long the acute detox process can last - after five days you should start to feel better - but a quick warning - you may feel good one day and icky the next - this has happened to many of us and it is simply a sign that the crap is working out of your system.

Immodium for the diarreah, comfy loose clothes and ibuprofen for the aches and pains, warm baths/showers, and LOTS OF FLUIDS (preferably gator ade and non caffeine drinks) to replace all the fluids you are losing. These symptoms are all uncomfortable but they are not life threatening as long as you were not mixing in xanax or too much alchohol. So very many of us have gone through the exact same thing and we are here to share our stories.

When you feel up to leaving the house - walking is a great way to start feeling better - take it slow and get out into some sunshine and it will help clear your head. Before you know it you will begin to feel better.

One other thing, you may notice that your sleep patterns are whacked for a while - insomnia can happen for a while when coming of the oxys. I have been dealing with that for a while but it is all doable.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.