SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Comedians, and rock stars...oh my! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/236155-comedians-rock-stars-oh-my.html)

MrSilver 09-09-2011 08:03 PM

Comedians, and rock stars...oh my!

Let's make a list of famous people who have overcome an addiction or a heavy use of drugs and/or alchohol. These can be inspiring to people who want to quit.

Comedians
Jim Norton
Sam Kennison
Bill Hicks
Andrew "Dice" Clay
George Carlin
Ron Bennington
Don Imus

Rock Stars
Slash
Alice Cooper
Anthony Kiedis
Nikki Sixx
Metallica
Shaggy 2 Dope (ICP)
Billy Joel
Joe Perry
George Jones (country but worth posting)
Stevie Ray Vaughn

There are so many others but there are what I came up with off the top of my head.

SteppingItUp 09-09-2011 11:13 PM

There are many well known names of people in recovery from addiction. There are also far too many of us who don't survive it.

The following can be found on Wikipedia:

List of drug-related deaths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The following is a list of notable people who have died from drug-related causes. Criteria for inclusion are death from overdose, death from organ-failure/illness due to or exacerbated by drug use, or death from suicide/misadventure under the influence of drugs..."

oxyious 09-10-2011 01:13 AM

Willy Nelson

I know Ozzy has permanent brain damage (which can make him appear impaired) but I believe he's been clean for quite some time. I know Sharon would beat his ass if he used again.

His song "crazy train" kind of describes my life with opiates. Every time it comes on the radio, I scream sing it in the car... (with my own lyrics) Going off the rails on the oxy train...
We should also post the ones we lost as a reminder that we're all human and all it takes is one "bad night" to not wake up again. (Chris Farley, Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, Belushi, Mike Starr, Marilyn Monroe.... so many lost souls.

Nightsd 09-10-2011 06:10 AM

I dislike how Western society is so obsessed with celebrities. They're people just like we are. Artistic people tend to be very sensitive people, who feel like they must numb themselves to how evil the world is. They incorrectly achieve this state of escapism from the world with drugs, which is sad, self destructive, and something all of use addicts can relate to.

soberlicious 09-10-2011 06:26 AM

I know Sharon would beat his ass if he used again.
LOL...i love sharon

AllThatGlitters1 09-10-2011 09:29 AM

And Actors Too ;)

I recently read Ms. Lindsay Lohan has overcome all her past addictions as well, and will soon be making a huge comeback. Congrats Lindsay, you're beautiful. !:day6

BeenDown2Times 09-10-2011 02:21 PM

Malcolm and Angus Young from AC/DC are clean.
Demi Lovato has made a great recovery at a young age and looks amazing.
My personal inspiration, oddly enough, is Russell Brand.

SquareHead 09-10-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrSilver (Post 3099653)
Let's make a list of famous people who have overcome an addiction or a heavy use of drugs and/or alchohol. These can be inspiring to people who want to quit.

Comedians
Jim Norton
Sam Kennison
Bill Hicks
Andrew "Dice" Clay
George Carlin
Ron Bennington
Don Imus

Rock Stars
Slash
Alice Cooper
Anthony Kiedis
Nikki Sixx
Metallica
Shaggy 2 Dope (ICP)
Billy Joel
Joe Perry
George Jones (country but worth posting)
Stevie Ray Vaughn

There are so many others but there are what I came up with off the top of my head.

I like any list that contains the great Ronnie B. & Lil' Jimmy.

FT 09-10-2011 04:26 PM

SquareHead! My first SR buddy! How the hell are you? I'm still here and STILL clean. I still can't thank you enough for being here when I found this place.

FT

SquareHead 09-10-2011 05:26 PM

You're so kind FT.

It's been a very busy summer,but today I'm celebrating 1 year clean.

I'm so glad to see you're still here, clean, and helping people. I'll try to get back more often.

Chihiro 09-10-2011 05:43 PM

Last I heard that is how George Carlin died..just over the years of drinking/pill abuse and such...He was a great comedian..hard to believe he's been gone a few years now already.

FT 09-10-2011 06:42 PM

Congratulations Mr. Badfish!

Originally Posted by SquareHead (Post 3100435)
You're so kind FT.

It's been a very busy summer,but today I'm celebrating 1 year clean.

I'm so glad to see you're still here, clean, and helping people. I'll try to get back more often.

Hey SquareHead! Congratulations on ONE YEAR! In five days, it will be 9 months for me.

Many thanks again for your presence here, and your help that for me was the first light at the end of the tunnel when I was trying to find my way out.

FT

MrSilver 09-10-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chihiro (Post 3100459)
Last I heard that is how George Carlin died..just over the years of drinking/pill abuse and such...He was a great comedian..hard to believe he's been gone a few years now already.

He claimed at one point to being sober for almost a year near the end of his life. He did abuse drugs for a long time. Mr. Carlin even doing the first SNL while high on cocaine. Maybe he did fall back into it. It was too bad. IMO he was the best ever.