Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How to get a friend help with heroin addiction?

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend of mine recently told me that she's an addict. She says she's just maintaining. She told me that she's using about 10 bags a day. My instincts tell me that she's probably using more.

I've never met her family, but she's told me a lot about them. She still see's them regularly, but doesn't live with them. I'm tempted to reach out to her parents (she's 23) to tell them she's got a problem and to try and get them to help.

I really want to see her get help and get cleaned up. I keep trying to encourage her to get help, but she just says that she's not ready yet.

I'm not sure if going to her parents is the right thing to do or not. But I don't know of many other options. I'm afraid that she's not going to make it if she doesn't get help soon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd say she's not ready yet. You sound like a good friend but you cant do this for her. I cant tell from your post if this is a romantic relationship or not if it is you might want to rethink this. The friends and family forum would probably be a better place for you. I hope she's ready soon but you cant make her ready good luck to both of you
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, as the mother of adult sons, I can tell you that at 23 years old, she is still young enough to be somewhat influenced by her parents. In this economy, many young people that age need to rely on their family for survival.

If I were her parents, I would want to know. If this girl dies from a heroin overdose, it may be her parents could have done nothing about it. Especially if they never even knew she was an addict.

Addiction is less able to thrive under the strong light of exposure.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Insane Asylum Director

Don't wait any longer. One shot could be her last. I lost my best friend to junk. I still hurt from it. It's a tragic thing. Don't try to intervene but do what you can to persuade them to get help.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I expected, it's a mix of encouragement to try to get her help, and some to leave her be.

Given where I am at with her, and my own experience with addiction (I'm a recovering alcoholic) I feel that I need to let her parents know what's going on. I know she'll be angry with me in the short-term, but once through a program I hope she understands that I'm doing this because I care for her. She deserves better.

Just a month ago she was talking about what she needed to do to get cleaned up and what she would do after. Most recently, I've seen some serious changes in personality, which makes me think that her habit has gotten worse.

During one of our conversations, she told me that he father was an alcoholic that had been sober for 16 years. Although I've never met her father, I do know how to contact him and was thinking that he may be the most understanding and capable of handling this due to his own experience with addiction.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Expect her parents to express disbelief, and addicts are good at lying. I would suggest arming yourself with undisputable facts to given them that can't be ignored. I did not listen when I was warned about someone very close to me, and he almost lost his life after he got in so deep I could no longer ignore it.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
addicts are good at lying.
Thanks for the advice and the warning. I know she's a great liar. I am very concerned for her safety.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to contact her father tomorrow. At least that will bring him into the loop. He can't deny that his daughter has a problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

5th post, so I can reply to a private msg. thanks.