Notices

Strange dreams about using and a dead friend

Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange dreams about using and a dead friend

Texas Magnum just sent me his latest post for his blog site. It was about a strange dream he had in which a dead friend comes to visit him. Magnum is still using cocaine and alcohol in the dream, and his friend (who was an addict) is not at all. The freind is so happy and peaceful and Magnum felt that the dream has a message for him.

I think so too. For one thing, I believe it's pretty common to dream of using still when in recovery. And, I do think that the message of these dreams is about recovery. Even if it "seems" that the dreamer is having fun getting high or drinking, there is usually a downside to it presented in the dream or a message of some sort.

Also, I found it interesting that Magnum says that in the dream there was a part where there was a show featuring people dancing with snakes and it frightened him. How symbolic, since in the poetry section of his site, he wrote a poem named Venomous where his heroin addiction takes the form of a poisonous snake.

Do any of you have dreams of using still? Do you think there is meaning to dreams or are they just random?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think there is meanings to dreams... I had a dream last night about using my pills, but they got stolen... The strange part was, I wasn't upset.. I was happy! They were gone.. Somebody had taken them, and I no longer had to worry that I was going to take them, and what might happen!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I occasionally have using dreams, but in the dream I can't seem to get a hit or the dream stops just before I do it. They used to bother me all day in early sobriety, now I just shrug them off.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had a dream where I stole some pot, then got ripped off myself. I reacted just like I would have in real life...I was outraged and pissed. What the dream reminded me of was the life I used to lead. It wasn't just about using drugs and addiction. It was all the other crap. Lying, stealing, the lengths one would go to score. I woke up thankful all that was behind me, and we're talking over 20 years ago.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To that same point, Carl, Texas Magnum has said that he actually can't say he 'disliked' the drugs or alcohol USE. He says he had FUN when high. :-)

What he doesn't like is the moral hangover, and the screwed up relationships, opportunities, jobs, finances, cars, health, etc. that were the result of the drug and alcohol use.

He says he feels like drugs and alcohol were the 'easy way out' when it came to dealing with his personal problems. Not happy? No need to fix why, just get messed up and you won't care for the moment. Now he knows he needs to work harder on himself and not take what he considers now to be the lazy, selfish way out of things.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's pretty cool that most everyone's dreams seem to give them the message that they are happier and better off now, even if the dream involves drug use.