Notices

smelling your DOC when your sober?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

smelling your DOC when your sober?

I know that sounds weird but when im not using I can smell heroin or pills.. so much right now im getting a headache. i know its mental but it sure doesn't make it easier to distract myself when im being reminded every time i breath.

does anyone else have anything weird like this happen?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ya I can walk in a room a smell beer, gets me jonsin
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Same here

1 year 4 months 3 days no booze and now my sense of smell has returned. I can be in a room where there is drinking going on and smell it. Today I'm 63 days off crack. I dont even want to think about smelling crack smoke, it would probably do me in.
Have a good day
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha, ya when I used to do coke I would always smell it around, like plants, or anything really would smell like it...Now I smell pot alot, but that's just cuz everyone is smoking it.....welcome to Cali

But on a more serious note I know that the smell could make you want to use, cuz it did/does for me, but just focus on all those reasons why you stopped and the positive things that have happened since...If that doesn't work come on here, go to a meeting, talk to family/friends...whatever works just don't let the aroma win.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

My washing machine and raw red peppers always smell like coke to me. I haven't done any coke for years... Annoying, nonetheless.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha smacked ur from La La land and im lost there LOL
Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, this happens with me. Every once in a while in a totally random place I will get whiff of something that reminds me of cocaine - does NOT make it easy to deal with all the normal-time cravings. I just try and distract myself but its hard when your brain is hardwired to make you want something that badly
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Red face The addict part of our brain plays tricks on us

The way I like to think about it is that when we first enter recovery, the addicted part of our brains is like a two year old child. It wants what it wants when it wants it or it bugs the hell out of us. When we are using, all it had to do was want the drug and we would give it the drug. When we first stop using, it pitches a fit because it wants it and its not getting it. So, it makes the desire and craving MORE intense, knowing we will give in. So like the two year old, he wants candy. He doesn't get it. He starts screaming and crying. (There were some days where I could swear that I heard my brain screaming for it) Finally, the little freak in our head sees that we are not going to give in to the begging and screaming (craving), so it tries something new, like turning the most innocent things in a day to major triggers. He says, "that will get them to give in!" Eventually, like the two year old, the addicted part of our brain learns that it is no longer in control, so it finally backs off. BUT as the little hellion in my head proved to me last night, he might pop up here and there and give it another try...he will. It could be thirty years down the road. He is always just kind of hanging out in there and it is our job to never forget it or become complacent. That is why those that attend 12 step meetings have a much higher success rate. They learn a way of life that prepares them for anything he might pull AND provides an amazing foundation of support and self knowledge.
Its just a little piece of how I look at this. It helps me. Until I started looking at it that way, I always felt like I was trying to play a game of chess against myself. You feel like you are fighting both sides of the war. Looking at it the other way gives me a sense of competitiveness and I refuse to let him win! He wants me to fail! He wants everything I care about. I can't let that happen.