Notices

Advice on sobriety for a young person

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on sobriety for a young person

I'm 18 years old and I need some advice on sobriety.

My mother was a crack addict for several years of my life and is currently an alcoholic like my father. One of my sisters died of a heroin overdose, another is a drinker, one is on oxycodone, and another is addicted to muscle relaxers and is a major pothead. My brother does most drugs but mainly hallucinogens. That's my entire immediate family.

I'm the youngest of them, and am worried that if I don't call off drugs/alcohol completely, that I'll end up like the rest of them. When I was 16, two years ago, I made the mistake of moving in with my sister, who turned me on to painkillers, pot, and drinking. By the time I moved out seven months later, I couldn't get by day to day without any of it. To try and turn things around I moved back out of my parents and in with my aunt and uncle, who were really good and supportive people. It wasn't easy, but I stopped relying on substances. Then, at 17 and a junior in high school, I returned to my parents.

Since then, I've been terribly up and down with the sobriety conflict. There are just so many people who are "worse" than I am, more "hard core", just more addicted. Half of the time I think that given my family history and my own history, I should try being completely sober- I'd probably have better peace of mind at least. But then the other half of the time I feel like that is giving up too much... maybe I'm just afraid, making excuses. I don't know. Any insight or advice would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ambivilant,

I would definatley stop right now. Today. This instant. With your family history, you just can't be careful enough.

When you are drinking/using, it is easy to compare yourself and identify others who use more/drink more. There is always going to be someone who is worse than you, but that does not mean YOU don't have a problem.

Better that you get it in your head now and break free from your family. I know that is really hard to hear. I'm sorry

Take care of yourself, you are the ONLY one who is going to!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. This was a really brave thing to write.

I don't think I'm in a position to offer you advice directly about your own situation. But it would be a good idea if you can read some of the posts and stickies on the site because they may give you some ideas of the way other people have tackled problems of addiction.

If there are any questions you would like to ask us, do please post them here and we'll do our best to help. Of course, it would also be great if you can turn to people you know and trust for help as it's easier to respond to people face-to-face than online.

Wishing you all the very best, my friend.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

maybe try a young NA meeting.There are alot of young people out there who are wanting sobriety.My daughter is 18 and in a aober living right now. If you want a clean life it's really important to surround yourself with clean people. It's really great that you are looking at this NOW rather than waiting until you are a full blown addict..your life can be amazing!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....the sooner you abstain from all addicted substances
the quicker and easier it will be.

You have first hand knowledge of how the future will be
and of course.....your way ahead of most because you
also know you can change direction.
Congratulations.....

Is there any possible way you can move back to your
Aunt and Uncles?
Getting away from those in active addictions could
give you support and time to consider the next step.

I also think it's best to have friends heading into a
more productive and healthy lifestyle. Because alcohol was
my addiction.....I use AA....works really well for me.

Please do stay here with us....thank you for joining
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am in agreement with all the previous posts.
I think you are very wise to consider obstaining from all alcohol and drugs. I know it is hard in this day and age...it seems alcohol and drugs are such an important staple in the lives of young people. You have witnessed first hand what drugs and alcohol have done to your family....the destruction and heartache it causes.
You deserve to be happy....please don't allow drugs and alcohol to steal your life away.
Thank GOD for people like your Aunt and Uncle that are there to support you, they are your lighthouse.

My youngest son is soon to be 22 and dealing with a drug and alcohol addictions. He struggles with the idea of not being able to socialize...party and do all that HE thinks young people are doing. Like it is such a necessity of young adulthood. I commend you on seeing all the destruction it has done to your family.
I wish you the best.
You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. I look at my son and see how young he is and where his (initial - choices) have gotten him. I am filled with anger that he choose to dabble in drugs ie.. heroin etc.., but I do have compassion and my heart goes out to him now seeing what he is dealing with.
I pray to GOD that my son will turn his life around.
Please trust your inner voice, be strong and live life clean.
Seek out healthy people they may not be the coolest or most popular in your age group....but later on in life as you get older you will realize who your true friends are.

Wishing you the BEST!