SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   does anyone know how long codeine withdrawal takes? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/20304-does-anyone-know-how-long-codeine-withdrawal-takes.html)

cheggers 10-11-2003 04:45 PM

does anyone know how long codeine withdrawal takes?

i have been of 45mg of codeine for about a month and i plan to get off them soon, does anyone know how long it takes?.:confused:
i would also like to make e-mail friends with anyother like minded codeine addicts.

phoenix 10-11-2003 05:04 PM

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not sure how long withdrawal will take or how difficult it will be for you.I can tell you that it will be worth it.We have some good forums here.You might want to check out the NA board.There are lot of supportive people here,and perhaps someone will have experience with codiene.Is that what you've always used,or have you had problems with other substances?

In any case,keep posting.We are glad you are here.

phoenix

cheggers 10-12-2003 07:24 AM

hi phoenix,
in reply to your last post-this isnt the first substance i have been addicted to...as soon as i get off one substance i seem to get hooked on another, if im not 'high' then i don't have any energy and i start to feel depressed so i end up turning to something else.
i fear that if i quit codeine i am just going to end up on something else, i have tried to get counceling(sp?) through my doctor but i never seem to get it, i also have problems with self injury and i fear that might kill me some day as well.
*cheggers*

distant 10-12-2003 06:30 PM

Hi cheggers.Switching from one substance to another is pretty common.In the end I didn't really much care what it was,as long as it would get me high.I'd really encourage you to check out NA,and you might post about the self injury on the Depression forum here.Can't hurt/might help...ya know?

ldd39640 12-29-2007 07:34 AM

codeine withdrawal you will be free in 7 days

:Val004:
Hi
I have been taking Solpodol and Analgiplus for 11 months..... not a lot, maximum 6 tablets a day, but usually 3 or 4. The strength is 30mg codeine, i never ever thought about codeine addiction, then last Sunday I had the start of influenza, so i went to bed and consequently didn't take any tablets at all, well the experience of the codeine withdrawal was really bad (I thought it was the flu , but realised this was too bad to be flu, it was in fact i stopped my daily codeine consumption).. I started to sweat at night, hot and cold flushes, dull prolonged headaches, and worst of all restless legs in bed at night meaning i couldn't sleep because my legs were NEVER comfortable, anyway I am on my 6th day without codeine and starting to feel my old self again, i played golf today and managed a few decent swings, anyway best to keep busy while withdrawing from codeine, go for long walks, go to the gym, eat fruit, keep busy all he time as it makes the symptoms less painful.........I will NEVER NEVER take codeine again in my life,this has-been the worst week of my life....and I'm glad I'm now ME ME ME and not some codeine ZOMBIE .
Good Luck and stay off codeine if you dont it will control your life, the withdrawal time i reckon is 7 days (The 1st 4 days are a nightmare) .
Bye for now LD

emmer 12-30-2007 12:40 PM

I used as much as 800mg but on average about 200mg per day and the withdrawal wasnt bad at all for me.
I have used about the same as you and didnt really feel much of a withdrawal at all,if any.
Keep in mind though everyone is differant and i have been thru lots of nasty benzos withdrawals the last one being the worse by far, so maybe codeine withdrawal dosnt seem to bad in comparison to the benzos.

swamijapa 01-01-2008 05:11 PM

Hi Cheggers.I have been taking panadeine forte (500mg.paracetamol 30mg codeine) for 4years now.
I have never had any withdrawals from them, not even when I suddenly dropped from 8 to 4 a day. But as Emmer said we are all different and responde in a different way to medications.
I wish you all the best in your decision to stop. Swamijapa

dinks 03-12-2010 04:26 AM

??

Hi , i just had to reply to your message as i really think you are kidding yourself that your daily intake of codeine is not a problem for you ? It clearly is ! you have been taking it for many years and you still are , so how can you possibly know that you dont have any withdrawls form it if your still taking it ? I can say for sure if you were to stop taking it today in 24 hours you will start to have the worst withdrawls from it ! I was prescribed it 10 years ago for dental pain and back pain and up untill 2 months ago was taking 3 30mg tabs per day and making all the excuses in the world of why i needed them because deep down i knew i had an addiction to them , so i went to a new doctor and poured my heart out and asked for help , I am now in the process of weaning off them and it hasnt been an easy time for me but i am hanging in there and i WILL STOP taking them completley this year and i urge anyone out there that is in the throws of addiction to these terrible tablets to get help NOW

Godd luck all

xxxxx

Shellslove 03-12-2010 08:36 AM

Hi Dinks,

Welcome to SR! ;) :welcome The last post on this thread is over 2 years old, and it looks like the original poster is no longer around. It sounds like you've got a strong start in your recovery. If you have questions or just want to share your experience, you can post a new thread here or you might want to try the Newcomers forum! (they're very friendly and welcoming!)

Good luck and I hope you stick around here...lots to learn, and a good place to vent!! ;)