Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

difference between meth and cocaine: I need education please

Notices

Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dear All

my partner is addicted to cocaine, although has been clean for 5.5 months, thank god.

I have read a lot about meth on SR and have recently read that can be snorted. Well, my partner used to snort cocaine. How do I distinguish it from meth? I read about the side effects of meth and to me seem to be the same as what I have experienced with my partner being on coke.

Thank you for sharing. Love Jo
Old 02-09-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

I don't know that there is a way to be "certain" based on behaviors alone. Meth seems to keep users "up" longer vs coke. And in my neck of the woods, it is a cheaper drug.

But will knowing change anything for you?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

In my experience and from what I have seen, Meth is much worse.

It is much cheaper, it looks lice rocks or crystals, not all powdery like

coke is. A meth come down is far different from coke. Meth makes

you crazy and feel like you need MORE MORE MORE. It is a lot cheaper

and many call it the "poor mans cocaine" I don't get that part because

the high is different than coke. There are many more differences but

both of them are very bad for you and will make you crazy...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey,

I found this for you. It was in an article in the US Times. It's a pretty good fact article. I'll put the link here in case you want to read more. Also another good place to look for stuff is www.kci.org

(kock crime institute)

DWI

((http://www.usatoday.com/community/ch...7-30-avery.htm))

Culver City, CA: Whats the difference between meth and cocain (besides the fact that they are two entirely different chemicals). Would you consider one more addictive than the other? Do they both have the same side effects? Are the long term health issues the same?

John Avery: Cocaine is a naturally occuring product from the coca leaf, which goes through a process of refinement and washing. Meth is a purely chemically manufactured drug. The coke high is relatively short. If it's snorted, the effect is slightly slower than injection or smoking, which is why crack became so popular (the intense and immediate high). But it doesn't last long, and the crash was a downside. Crystal is much longer acting, and it can be snorted smoked or injected. It's speed. It causes all the systems in the central nervous system to accelerate. It depletes the dopamine and seratonin that are needed for normal functioning. While you're on it, like coke, you feel euphoric. The downside is the depression.
Part of the downside of sustained use is paranoia and aggressiveness. Both meth and crack cocaine are associated with paranoia and aggressiveness on the downside.

Remember that the way the drug works is to generate excessive dopamine, so the brain can only produce so much at any given time, which is what creates the effect of constantly increasing the dosage. You have to keep using more to get less high, which makes them frustrated. With natural brain chemicals depleted, you find the irritability and paranoia. Plus digestion, circulation, muscular movement don't work right.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks done-with-it, great info.

My partner ha done speed occasionally in the past although her DOC became coke. I can recognise many of the side effects of all the horrible drugs she used in her. i pray she stays in recovery and never forgets how lucky she is.

love JO
Old 02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I'm praying for her too. Crystal is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever if not the worst thing I've ever encountered. They call it the devil's drug, and being off it for 12 weeks, I know why they do. I will never go back to it, but I sure do miss it.....

I hope she embraces her recovery and holds on to it. Good luck to you both. :-)

DWI
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

there are major differences. first, cocaine is like a whole bunch of toxic substances (including str8 gasoline) that kind of give you a boost. the only thing natural in it is the coca leaf, but its mashed up and, its usually kind of powdery. on the other side, meth, glass, crystal etc. is kind of transparent looking, sort of clear, and the higher quality stuff kind of "chards" up like little broken pieces of glass, hence the term "glass"

in order of their potency: crank, speed, which are simply amphetamine or dexamphetamine. then there is meth, crystal meth, glass, and they all have various amounts of the same chemical, d-N-methylamphetamine, and then there is ice (ice is a different substance entirely and CANNOT be snorted, must be smoked, and its name is 4-Methylominorex). if you look at the names alone, they are similar. cocaine is known as benzoylmethyl ecgonine, completely different.

all this may seem like gibberish, so ill talk bluntly now. if you do both types, which i have in some form, youll find out that the Euphoric stimulant of cocaine and/or crack differs mostly from the psychoactive stimluant of speed and crystal in their effects because coke mainly works on endorphins, while the speed works on the dopamine synapse. endorphins (coke) make you feel really good, suh as if you were already having sex, while the speed (dopamine) makes you feel really ambitious, creative and everything is clear and intense, or shiney. another major difference is you can have sex on meth, but often times it is hard to have good sex on cocaine, because the endorphins are already being used up.

about the only two things they have in common are that they give you a boost of energy and that you can snort them. oh yeah, they are also both schedule 1 narcotics controlled by the DEA. you knew that. hehe

i hope this answers your questions.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cocaine works on the dopamine synapse too but its damage isn't permanent like with meth. Also meth is cheaper, more toxic (especially if you have expensive cocaine there's less chance it's cut up with a lot of crap) and it keeps you up longer. My drug of choice was cocaine and I stayed far from meth, tho.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. The more education, the better.

Love Jo
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ya im 16 and i smoke weed do coke and extacy and have done promythizine, nitrous, vicodin, and dust off i also smoke cigerettes any suggestions? oh ya by the way coke is very numbing too it makes u feel good and jumpy sometimes and makes ur throat and mouth numb and its VERY bitter.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stoner14
Welcome

I know most of us want to fix things without letting anyone else know - but that's not always possible.

I found it very important to reach out and get support. No one does this on their own.

Have you any people to talk to? parents, older siblings, doctors, teachers, school counsellor?

I hope others will respond to you here too.
Keep checking back.

D