Notices

Questions about Rehab

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Questions about Rehab

Well Ive finally convinced my family that I need to go. I think they have finally truly started to understand the gravity of my situation as I have exhausted all my efforts to get and stay clean with little success.
Havent worked out the details of where I will be going yet but I have been calling places and setting up the childcare and whatnot with my family. Looks like I should be leaving around April 1.
Of course Im scared, but really the word is relieved. I think Im going to do it this time. Here are some questions Im having:
What can I expect to happen? Did it "work" for you? Were you reluctant to go?
If anyone knows any reasonably priced places in the southeast that have a good reputation, let me know. Also Penny if you read this can you give me the name of that place one more time? Tried finding them on the net but couldnt.
Thanks everyone
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no rehab knowledge, but good luck L.

D
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Thanks alot D
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Nallabelle,

I went to the Betty Ford Center for alcoholism and it was a really good place. I actually dont think that I deserved to go but I was fortunate enough to have the chance. From my experience, going to rehab doesnt cure the disease of an addict, however, it is a very good place to start. After leaving the rehab, I was sober for 10 months but I never worked the program correctly. Instead, I worked the program "my way" which is what led me to a relapse during the beginning of the new year. I'm not saying that you will be the same as me but just remember that working the program after you leave the rehab will make the biggest difference. I wish you the best of luck and remember that you are very fortunate enough to go to rehab. It is a gift and not a privilege.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agreed to go but I can't say I wanted to go or be there. I think in your case you want to go and so that outlook will make the entire difference. It's easier to adjust. I went for 30 days inpt and then I went 60 days in IOP with a sober living arrangement so I was gone 90 days.
After the adjustment period of about 1-2 weeks I did not mind. There is a routine to learn, I think we had group starting at 8 so I got up about 6 to get showered and get breakfast. Then I had about 2 more groups with gym, and more intense group therapy. Lunch, then another group and then some downtime for about 2-3 hours, dinner and then we all got in a van and went to a 12 step meeting like AA or NA, came back to sometimes free time and sometimes some coin out which was a nice ceremony for people leaving. We worked on all the issues of why we used and had some family therapy, we were introduced to 12 step and some cognitive therapy to deal with our issues. I think we went thru the first 5 steps and had a confessional for the 5th with a wise woman. It was busy, I was never bored. I met people from all over the country, it was a highly rated rehab one of the top 10 in the country and yes it was expensive, I was thinking it ran around 20-30 thousand for the entire 90 days. Thank heavens for insurance is what I have to say about the cost.
So that is about what it is like, it just was hard for me to leave my family, not be able to really talk to them the first week and adjust to the rules and having no control over things but on the other hand it frees you up to work on your issues and just let all the stuff on the "outside" go you know, you can't control anything so you have to let it all go. I felt safe. At times stifled. But it is a good place to get help. Glad you are going and doing this. Just keep strong AFTER rehab. I think that is the main thing,don't throw away the time spent in rehab by chucking it out when you get out, keep the tools you learn in rehab to keep yourself clean.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I know many, many people who went through 'Ambrosia' and appear to have quite a solid recovery foundation.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-16-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: removed links.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personal recommendations are one thing, but no links thanks guys - it counts as advertising...and we ban folks for that.

Google is your friend, Les

D
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been out of rehab 1 1/2 months and it was the best thing that could have happened to me after 3 yrs. of hydrocodone addiction. I tried to quit on my own and to no luck i needed help, the physical and mental were too much. On dec 25 I ODeed and almost lost my life.It was a 12 step detox and rehabilitation program and it saved my life I needed help from people who understood and had been through what I have been through I have made many new sober friends and we still continue to help each other. The fact is that I got so tired of living the way I was living that I was willing to go to any leangth to get sober and be free again. It was the best decision I could have made Im blessed , my family really needs me alive and well. Good luck you are making a great decision if your ready to get well.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Les...
I agree with Recovery1983...rehab doesn't 'cure', but for me, it took me out of my destructive environment, separated me from the ease of being able to score drugs, and helped me concentrate on what I needed to get better.

The Life Center of Galax, VA #1877-762-3747
112 Painter St.
Galax, Virginia 24333

The Virginia Drug and Alcohol Rehab Life Center of Galax website is very helpful.

They were just wonderful to me and I highly recommend them.

Good luck and God Bless.

Penny

Last edited by Dee74; 03-17-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wish you all the best, i believe considering my situation that if you have a will you will have a way for sure
o for it and keep firm on your decision. You will be succeeded. Reluctance is so natural but you will have to overcome it to pass this time.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Nallabelle
What can I expect to happen?
I believe rehabs can be different in their structure and program...so I'll tell you what I expected to happen when I entered rehab. I wanted a safe environment where I could detox, I expected there was going to be a lot of structuring of my day with counseling, groups and meetings. I also thought there would be some rules...and sure enough there were plenty of rules. So all my expectations were met and then some.

Did it "work" for you?
It did lay down the foundation of my recovery program with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), therapist moderated emotional processing groups and an introduction to 12-step programs. I did gravitate to the CBT stuff and have maintained it as a solid base of my current addiction treatment. I do consider my rehab experience an advantageous one.

Were you reluctant to go?
No, I was more than ready to get something positive done with my shattered depressing life. So I was grateful and actually cheerful to have an opportunity where my healing journey did begin in rehab.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nallabelle, I am SO EXCITED for you. I know you want this so badly and have been begging to go for awhile. I pray so hard it gives you that environment to build a strong foundation. The first rehab I went to was a dump with way too much down time. It enabled me to form connections with other addicts and learn new ways of scoring. That rehab had so much free time that all I did was sit around smoking with addicts who were mostly there to avoid being locked up - meaning they were court ordered. I left and relapsed in 60 days. Of course, most of that was my fault. I did not want to be sober bad enough and did not move beyond the first step.

Second rehab was a completely different world. Highly structured. Lots of group and activity therapy, even art therapy revolved around regrets we had while using. Free time was "rehab" movies or smoking. I unfortunately did a lot of that in rehab. I learned a lot of good things, but failed to follow through after 70+ days. it was a good place and I think again I was not committed as I thought I was. Both times I went it was my choice and I checked in of my own volition.

I wish you the best and wish I could do more to help. Stay away from those who are not truly committed - you will figure out quickly who wants to be there or who was "sent" there. Think about those adorable kids on your page. They sooooo neeed a healthy mom. You can do it baby! I believe in you. <3
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Update:
So my husband is cashing out his IRA. We are young so we dont have a lot, but literally our entire life savings is going to be gone, so I can go to rehab. No pressure.
Its messed up. I was just thinking about how Penny told me about this place for the first time like 8 months ago or something. Now Im finally going. What would my life be like right now if I would have gone there 8 months ago? How much more money would I have? Its such a shame.
Im scared to go. This HAS to lay the foundation for me and I HAVE to come home strong. I have to remain strong. This is it for me with my husband and family, guys. This is my last chance.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno if it's your last chance, but I hope its your last time - if that makes sense, L.
D
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know it sounds crazy, but try not to focus on what things could have been 8 months ago. I know that for me it wasn't time until it was time. I am just so thrilled for you. This is what you know you need because you said this is what you wanted. I spent the days before rehab spending every minute with my son and getting as much of my life as I could in order. You are so doing the right thing. God Bless you! Love and hope to you million fold if that makes any sense. We know ourselves better than anyone else. <3 <3 <3
Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
little darlin'

Good luck Belle, I'm hoping and praying for you with all my might...... Don't pressure yourself too much though, you need to focus on you and what your doing not on why or how you got there. Please keep us updated as you can, k? I'll be thinking about you. Do you know when you leave yet?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Zak

SCRC in Laguna Beach saved my life,good food and ocean view rooms.
Just saying
Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Nallabelle,

When I was at Betty Ford, I met a few people that were able to get in through scholarships. Essentially, a scholarship is a grant that is provided to those who qualify. i really dont know how the process goes but i'm sure you can call you rehab center and ask if they offer something like this. It could save you thousands of dollars or better yet, it could pay for your whole rehabilitation. I think it would be wise to check it out. I'm just concerned that if you empty out all your savings and exhaust all your financial means that it might create conflicts. These conflicts will be around after you leave treatment and could burden you and your husband. During that first year out of rehab, it is critical that you take it easy and concentrate on your recovery.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Nalla I just want you to know I'm rooting for you. I hope you are truley ready and that this rehab will gve you the tools you need. I don't want to see things get worse for you, I want to see them get better from here on out.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Thanks everyone. Should be leaving April 1, by the way (have to get some things in order and have to wait till we get back from Ohio)
Recovery- I will look into it, but my husband doesnt seem too bitter about using the IRA money. It is what it is, at this point.
OK I have a kinda stupid question- What the hell should I bring with me? Like I have no idea what to pack, other than clothes and the usual stuff. Is there anything?