Notices

A newbie needs advice

Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question A newbie needs advice

Hello to one and all. 2 years ago I got clean from alcohol. 12 months ago I stepped away from Marijuana Amphetamines and Benzos. I remain clean from all these substances to this day.
My struggle is still with codeine however (the last and most stubborn) My addictions and alcoholism were long term - having begun in my teens. Codeine has been there since my twenties. Although I have reduced these last 12 months - I am still using around 150 -200 mg per day. The source is a no frills type of chemist medication with 500 mg paracetamol and 10 mg codeine phosphate.
I live alone and rarely leave my house (long story) Have been diagnosed with Agoraphobia and some other problems. I also take Celebrex for arthritis and an anti-depressant for the agoraphobia. My doctor applauds my efforts to date - but is not familiar with the twelve step philisophy. I myself personally expouse the twelve steps. They have worked in my life.
Codeine is beginning to take its toll on my body and I never knew that it would prove to be the most difficult. Sometimes - and only sometimes - I get a little despondant.
I seem to have reached a stalemate with codeine - consistently failing to go cold and trying to reduce somehow. Any advice or support or help that anyone can offer would be really appreciated.
This is a genuine question - I have eliminated much from my life - but there is still some more to do. Thankyou.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have no experience and no advice to offer, but a huge hug and a loud applause for all you've done so far. That's great! Hang in there.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not again

Welcome and I hope you're feeling well. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as Threshold on this. But.....
Perhaps try reading.....Mental Health Through Will Training Dr. Abraham Low.

This would be the "Big Book" for the group Recovery Inc., and there may be meeting near you.

an intro can be found at:
Recovery Spots from Dr. Abraham Low

Best wishes,
Larrylive
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you are taking that much codeine, are you at least extracting the paracetamol out?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Gotta be hell on the liver. Good luck kicking it.