Notices

Opiate Withdrawals - How long do they last?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate Withdrawals - How long do they last?

God, I was using codeine twice a day at 500mg a time for almost 2 years. Went on a suboxone detox last week. It was a 5 day outpatient program. Last sub was on Monday. It is now Thursday and I still feel like ****. My knee joints are so damn painful, I have constant restless legs, and I can't get to sleep at all.

I got a couple of daizepam from my doctor at the end of the detox but that only got me this far. This constant leg pain just makes me want to go use and I don't know what to do!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

The withdrawal (w/d) from suboxone takes a little longer, since suboxone is a longer acting opiate.
I'd mention the leg pain to my doctor. However, all-in-all you don't sound too bad off. I also did a 5 day taper in a outpatient detox program. I was grateful that the w/d wasn't any worse than it might have been. Cold turkey w/d from oxyxodone or hydrocodone were ridiculously difficult.
I worked hard not to allow w/d anxiety and pain "make me" want to use.
And for me the w/d was exceptionally small compared to what active addiction caused me in pain, anxiety and much more.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Banana I just went through a suboxone detox so I completely understand how horrible and wretched you feel with the awful leg stuff. Theres no other easy way than to grit your teeth and get through it. I took a lot of super hot baths and that really seemed to be the only thing that helped. I had about 3 or 4 nights of annoying leg twitches. I would get so mad I would be swearing in the middle of the night really getting mad. I cant offer any magic for how to get through it, I can only tell you that WHEN you get through it you will slowly slowly start to feel a LOT better. better than you can imagine or fathom at the moment. STay strong, take it easy...allow your body some time to recover and dont expect too much toooooooo soon. Days four through 7 were the hardest days for me.. the first few didnt phase me too much. 5th day smacked me down hard. Take care and good luck
Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same for me as with CJSG ... days 4, 5, and 6 off the subs were really sucky. Didn't sleep until I caved on day 6 and went to my sub doctor and he gave me something to sleep.

I then started feeling better on day 7 off of the stuff (of course it may have helped that I'd slept finally the night before ... thanks doc!).

It took about a month to get back to 100%, but ... the really crap part was over in about a week.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in day 13 of Subutex detox and still in lots of muscle pain, sweats, etc! Was on it for 4.5 yrs. Cant type much feel too ill. From past experience it takes me 14-16days b4 severe wds end. Try valerian from health food store or anti histamines to help u sleep. Hope yrs is shorter my friend.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The pain wont last forever.

Enduring a little pain now pales in comparison to what the drugs will eventually do to you.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The pain wont last forever.

Enduring a little pain now pales in comparison to what the drugs will eventually do to you.
I could of not said it better myself!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there I went through 10 day detox and 30 day in recovery after oding on pain meds and alcohol and detoxing sucked today I have 2 months sober and its worth it just tuff it out it does get easyer and the rewards is pricesless. Today im in recovery and truly grateful keep your eye on the prize freedom!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I want also want to quit but am terrified for the wd's. I tried several times and hated the anxiety, night sweats, and lethargy that came with it. Of course I caved in and took more pills. I am so tired of this lifestyle. I literally have missed the last year of my life due to pills. My drug of choice is oxycontin, however when I run out I will take anything I can get my hands on (vicodins, mscontin, fentanyl, roxies).

I am so tired.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by themerkin View Post
I want also want to quit but am terrified for the wd's. I tried several times and hated the anxiety, night sweats, and lethargy that came with it. Of course I caved in and took more pills. I am so tired of this lifestyle. I literally have missed the last year of my life due to pills. My drug of choice is oxycontin, however when I run out I will take anything I can get my hands on (vicodins, mscontin, fentanyl, roxies).

I am so tired.
I understand.
Do you have any recourse medically? A doctor you can get honest with? I can't stress enough how much better this can be with appropriate medical support.