Notices

Pregnant and addicted, need help in FL!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Pregnant and addicted, need help in FL!!!

I've been on Oxycodone for the last couple years. I wasn't prescribed them. I started taking them as an occasional method to relax, which shortly thereafter turned to 7.5 mg every night... and then over the course of a year or so, I graduated to 120mg a day. About 6 months ago I went to a doctor for help. The experience was awful. I was so scared/nervous going into the office as it were, and when I told the nurses and doctor why I was there, their whole attitude towards me changed to the point that I found myself telling the doctor that I didn't appreciate the way she was talking to me and I thought I would like to talk to someone else about this... she stormed out and got the office manager, they refunded my copay and out I went.. crying. after that I told myself no doctors.. I'll do it on my own. I cut back, about half, and then teetered back and forth between the 90-120mg a day for the next few months until I found out that I was pregnant...

Which brings me to now. When I found out I was pregnant the first thing I did was come to this website, and read other posts about addiction and pregnancy. I know I have to stop altogether before I deliver otherwise the baby will be born addicted, besides that, I don't want to be like this anymore. I don't want to put my child (or my other children) at risk for being taken by child services!! I am a good mom!!!!! But I don't think I can stop on my own. I did cut back more now taking only 45-75 mg a day, but I know that's still alot! I don't know if I can taper off all the way!! And I haven't been to the doctor yet, because I want to tell this doctor the truth for the baby sake, and I am terrified of how they will treat me. I've been asking everyone I know to recommend an awesome OBGYN, but they can only recommend from their experience, and I know they didn't deal with addiction and pregnancy. I know there has to be a doctor(s) in my area that have dealt with this situation before, but I just don't know how to find them, it's not like it's listed in the directory. Help please?!? Is there anyone out there that can recommend me from experience?!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You definitely need to find someone who is NOT judgmental about this. I know you've done your research on pain meds and pregnancy. It is not too late to taper. And it is possible to find someone who is not a jerk to help you. Maybe an addiction doctor would be better than an OBGYN. At least the addiction doctor could refer you to someone who could truly help.
It's stories like these that kept me from seeking help for years and years. It breaks my heart to think of you opening up and trying to find help to have your hand slapped like that. It fact, it makes me furious. Some doctors really need to get their act together.
Please keep trying. I know it's hard. But, maybe just start at the addiction doctor level and work your way to an OBGYN that way. There ARE compassionate doctors out there I promise (my own dad is one btw, so I know it's possible!)
Good luck and I'm thinking of you. PM me if you need to hear my story.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in your other post - I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the health of your unborn has to be the most important thing here, Luxless.

Please go see a Dr - they're not all ogres...find one you like and can trust, and be 100% totally honest with them.

D
Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
work in progress

Right, the child's health is the most important thing
But honestly, you need to see a doctor before doing anything
If you try to come of these opiates on your own you could kill your baby
I went to a methadone clinic and spoke to the doctor there
Being on methadone isn't an ideal situation during pregnancy but at this point your baby is just as addicted as you are
A methadone doctor can help you come down slowly
I was on such a low amount of methadone when my son was born that it didn't even register in either of out blood
Trying to deal with this on your own is just going to stress you out and drive you further into your addiction
Do something now before you end up losing that baby either to the drugs or to the county
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took my son to a pain medication doctor for suboxone. My son called me into the room because he wanted to be open with this doctor and me. This doctor actually asked my son in front of me if he was able to get erections and then told him that eventually with the drug use, he would not be able to. (He couldn't have asked him that when I wasn't in the room????) As I was describing what it was like to watch my only son self destruct, I got a little choked up.

He looked at me like I was a pile of crap and said "you are hormonal and need to be on hormone replacement therapy".

I was totally dumb struck that a doctor, who nothing about me, would say that to me.

I promptly told him that I was not there for him to offer a prognosis on me, but for my son and that he knew nothing about me, physically or mentally and how dare he . I told him I would never recommend him to any one else and that I thought he was way out of line.

Some doctors are so full of themselves.

There are also some really great ones out there. I love my obgyn.....a rotund, jolly, sweetheart of a man with a great sense of compassion and caring.

Just keep looking until you find one that fits.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Well I want to say something but Im not sure what. I was in the same boat as you. Well still kind of am. Right now I am 6 months pregnant and clean. I didn't stop til I was almost 3 month pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I tried to reduce the amount I took and luckily I ended up throwing up any pills I took. Hopefully that means less got into my system.

I hope you get to a Dr soon because you need pre natal vitamins and regular care especially since you are in this position. Maybe start with seeing an OB and then see a different addiction Dr to take care of your addiction. Thats something.

If you have any question please ask. I just am not sure what to put out there besides I understand what you''re going through.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are more Dr.'s out there who don't understand addiction than those who get it. Why not start at a substance abuse treatment center? They won't judge you, and will be able to refer you to a Dr. who will be understanding. I work at a treatment center, and one of our "specialties" is pregnant women. I hope you check it out. I'm sure you are a good mother and I want you to let go of any shame. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be reaching out for help.

Best to you and your baby. Big hugs.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

You have come to the right place.
Im not sure if you read my posts on here, but I just had a baby Oct 27. I was addicted to pills (the same amount per day as you) when I found out I was pregnant. I did immediately cut my dosage, but did not quit when I found out.
I did not enjoy my pregnancy. Everyday I said I would quit. I never could have imagined in my LIFE taking pills while pregnant. But I did it. By the end of my pregnancy I was so sick and scared. I couldnt sleep at night because of the shame and guilt for what I had done. MY anxiety levels were so high I ended up in the hospital. I was scared of the baby being born addicted and being taken from me.
Im telling you right now, that was no way to live and no way to spend my pregnancy. Thank GOD the baby was fine, not addicted. But does it really matter? Its still disgusting and sad. I never want to relive those days of fear.
You should be honest with your doctor. I wasnt. If I were you, I would IMMEDIATELY start tapering down- you need to get a lot lower than where you are now. Thats what I did. If you cant do it then maybe you should consider not keeping the baby or giving it up because I did TONS AND TONS of research and your baby has a good chance of being born addicted at the rate you are going. The nurses will be able to tell and social services will be brought in. If you cant quit or taper off now, whats going to make you be able to do it after the baby is born? Dont go through what I did. Your outcome may not be as lucky as mine was. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friend

Welcome to SR Luxless =) I have not posted in a long while but started lurking again recently and logged in as soon as I saw your thread. I'm assuming you got scared and were scouring the internet for some info, and I really do hope you come back here. Most important thing though...you need to talk to a doctor ... and now! Please please please go do this, for your baby's sake. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I promise they are not all like this!!

Here is the thing - I know it seems like the safest most logical thing to do right now is quit CT immediately, but honestly, that could be dangerous to your unborn baby as well. You are not a doctor and neither are we - you need medical advice on this one. Everything that has gone into your body since day one of your pregnancy has gone to that baby. I promise I am not judging, just saying you need medical advice on your next step here. Cold turkey stopping the meds may be dangerous - withdrawal is withdrawal and I don't know what the fetal reaction might be. Also, if you are a chronic addict, you are putting yourself at risk of a relapse. This is why some mother's use opiate replacement therapy in pregancy. It is up to a good doctor to help you decide if the benefits outweigh the risks in your particular situation. It may behoove you to speak to a doctor in your area who is able to prescribe subutex. This is not a medical opinion, but I have several pregnant women who are doing well on sub maintenace in my sub group therapy. My doctor has mentioned that subutex is the current preferred method (as opposed to methadone) of ORT in pregnancy and is safest for baby following delivery as well. PLEASE seek out medical advice and keep posting, okay?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

These are great replies Luxless. I think the main thing you need is understanding, compassion and, information. Try to just get those things, and if you run across judgment and/or ridicule, put it away. They are coming from people who don't understand what addiction is. Just get help. . .by any means necessary.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Luxless, you are one brave woman to come on this site and ask for help. That means you want to do what is best for you and for that baby. Do not give up and keep coming back here. It is a great site with great people. BUT, while you are doing that, try calling the local department of health and get some recommendations of doctors dealing with pregnant and addicted woman. Of course, any doctor would be good, but I know there are many across the country who specialize in treating pregnant women with addictions. That is what is best for you mentally and physically. Try googling doctors in your area that specialize as well since you have computer access.

You are not alone. I strongly encourage you to find a support group of similar folks to help. You are so strong by taking this first step...please, please do not give up. Love and blessings to you and your baby.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Generally, quitting cold turkey during pregnancy is not recommended. Neonatal withdrawal can be very hard on the baby, if stopped abruptly. Neither is using, though. They may suggest methadone for you because its "safe" for the baby. The problem with methadone is that 75% of babies are born addicted to it and end up in the NICU for weeks or months, often on a morphine drip because of the long withdrawals.
If you hide this from a doctor and the baby is born addicted, you will be in even more trouble. They can tell. They can test you and the baby's hair and even the plecenta for drug use.
You definitely need to talk to a doc, but if it were ME I would BEGIN TAPERING IMMEDIATELY.
Remember, i was just where you are. My baby is only 3 months old. You will experience a hell you could never imagine if you dont do something proactive about this now. At the very least, go as low as you can.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope Luxless comes back.

If you do Luxless - I really hope you have already seen, or you'll go see a Dr ASAP.

None of us here are doctors, and what you and your baby need is professional medical advice. It's simply too important to trust to anything else.

D
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I'm withdrawing from oxy too. I know when I was searching for doctors that would be compassionate to my situation, I found a list of doctors who specialize in bringing people down, using suboxone. I'll look for this list. It was a list for my area in California, but I know they had a nationwide pool of doctors.

For you baby's sake, you may need to see someone you don't like; I've only met one doctor in my life who completely understood me. I don't know how far along you are, but I think you have time to withdraw from 80mgs or so before you're in your third trimester.
I know it's scary and hard to even talk to a doctor about, but even if they're not completely in tune with you, they might know something about withdrawing and pregnancy. I suggest that you search the internet trying all kinds of different combinations of"Pregnancy and addiction", or "compassionate doctors" , withdrawal.

I'll look a little bit and see if I can find something in Florida. If I find something that sounds like it might be for you, I'll get back to you. You can message me if you just want to talk. I have a degree in psychology. Ironic huh. Degree on the wall, me shaking and cold. Well, they say the profession with the most addicts is doctors. You're doing the right thing. You're not a criminal. Remember that, and, that many others are in the same boat, nice people.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellslove View Post
Welcome to SR Luxless =) I have not posted in a long while but started lurking again recently and logged in as soon as I saw your thread. I'm assuming you got scared and were scouring the internet for some info, and I really do hope you come back here. Most important thing though...you need to talk to a doctor ... and now! Please please please go do this, for your baby's sake. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I promise they are not all like this!!

Here is the thing - I know it seems like the safest most logical thing to do right now is quit CT immediately, but honestly, that could be dangerous to your unborn baby as well. You are not a doctor and neither are we - you need medical advice on this one. Everything that has gone into your body since day one of your pregnancy has gone to that baby. I promise I am not judging, just saying you need medical advice on your next step here. Cold turkey stopping the meds may be dangerous - withdrawal is withdrawal and I don't know what the fetal reaction might be. Also, if you are a chronic addict, you are putting yourself at risk of a relapse. This is why some mother's use opiate replacement therapy in pregancy. It is up to a good doctor to help you decide if the benefits outweigh the risks in your particular situation. It may behoove you to speak to a doctor in your area who is able to prescribe subutex. This is not a medical opinion, but I have several pregnant women who are doing well on sub maintenace in my sub group therapy. My doctor has mentioned that subutex is the current preferred method (as opposed to methadone) of ORT in pregnancy and is safest for baby following delivery as well. PLEASE seek out medical advice and keep posting, okay?
Hi Shell, long time girl how are you :ghug3

You'll be glad to see (or not) that I haven't lost my OCD about accuracy ... in actuality, not everything a mother puts into her body since day one goes into her baby.

Now, I'm just pointing this out in the interest of accuracy, and I'm not AT ALL arguing with the advice that Lux needs to see a doctor (already hammered that point home on her other thread, actually), but ... the placental barrier actually protects your baby from a lot of stuff that you put into your body. I don't *believe* that opioids fall into that category, but there are many other things that do get filtered out (and I know of one 'drug' that actually does).

Anyways, I'm glad to see you back round and hope you'll hang out with again

And Lux ... you need to get to a doctor missy. Find out what your safe options are.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a doctor, but 320-350,000 opiate addicted babies a year (US alone) would tend to suggest to me whatever other nasties the placenta may protect the foetus from, opiates is not one of them.

Lux I hope you're still out there reading - go see a Dr...please.

D
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not a doctor, but 320-350,000 opiate addicted babies a year (US alone) would tend to suggest to me whatever other nasties the placenta may protect the foetus from, opiates is not one of them.

Lux I hope you're still out there reading - go see a Dr...please.

D
Indeed ... I think we can safely rule that out ... opioids clearly DO pass through. But some things don't. That's all I'm saying

And although I certain that the vast majority of babies born addicted to opioids DO survive just fine (although I bet they're really p***ed off during their first week on the planet), one thing I've always wondered about is how many of them end up addicts at some point when they grow up? I've gotta think that if someone ever looked at the numbers, there'd be an increased probability ...