Notices

Anyone feel "normal" after xanax?

Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Loarzepam

I'm reading the posts here, and I am very concerned. I have been taking ativan for four years. The Doctor prescribed it to me for panic attacks and digestive difficulties. I was taking 1 mg Three times per day. I have reduced it down to 1 mg per-day. I want to come all the way off ot it because my memory is foggy and I believe this is why. How should I proceed from here? Continue to cut it down? for how long, until I am down to none? My doctor is clueless about withdrawal and addiction to this. He thinks if it is working for my stomach and my anxiety that it isn't a problem, however it is addictive and my memory is suffering and Im a student. Does anybody know how long it takes to get brain function back to normal?

Please help

Thank you
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

USAUNA...this is a very old thread, but some of the warnings posted her merit our consideration.

Benzo withdrawal really should be done under the supervision of a doctor versed in benzo withdrawal, which is very hard to find.

I know this is an addiction forum, and the prevailing wisdom is to just quit taking the drug and ride out the withdrawals, but I know of no other drug where cold turkey approach pretty much assures many of protracted withdrawal symptoms. It has nothing to do with the drug leaving your system and everything to do with your brain taking a long time to rewire once the drug is out of your system.

I quit Klonopin cold turkey and pretty much lost a year of my life, and that was after the seizures and stroke-level blood pressure and hallucinations all of which left me in the ICU for 10 days.

Find a doctor who will wean you off of this drug slowly as prescribed by such experts found on benzo.org.

Smack jacks, coke pokes, booze hounds, meth heads, crack smacks...I have yet to meet anyone in recovery who was addicted to these drugs and experienced withdrawal from them who has also experienced benzo withdrawal after prolonged use who wouldn't trade a dozen of the former for one experience of stopping benzos cold turkey.

Find a doctor. A good doctor. A doctor who has seen the protracted hell going cold turkey from high level of prolonged benzo use can create.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

People think opiate wd is hard...
I cold turkeyd from about 200mgs and it was minor compared to stopping about a 6 month recreational xanax dose of maybe 6mgs.
I was destroyed....
You can do it though.
I'd really look into a medical detox or a taper plan on this drug. Terribly powerful stuff.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bump,it,up