Notices

Long term marijuana use plus alcohol.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long term marijuana use plus alcohol.

I am 2 weeks sober and marijuana free, but I would like to know if there is anyone else here who has smoked mj daily for the past 30 years? Alcohol abuse for the past 15 years. I developed an addiction for alcohol from using mj. What I am experiencing is:-

Very poor concentration.
Poor memory recall.
Lack of motivation.
Lack of self esteem.
Generally a very "dim" brain.

It would be of great support to me if I could liaise with others who have done this to themselves, and to share the recovery progress. Like, will my brain improve? Will I get my motivation back? I am willing to do whatever it takes to be "normal" again. I am done with putting mind altering stuff into my body.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

:praying
Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to smoke pot and the things you describe seem to go with the territory.
Can't speak to the effects of long term use of alcohol.
But, once I quit smoking the weed....my head cleared up...yup, cleared up enough that I didn't want to do that to it again! LOL
You are probably going to have to change friends.
I have friends and family who still smoke and I can sit and chat with them and ignore it...but if it is a temptation I wouldn't advise that.
It just doesn't tempt me anymore..
but in my case I was medicating for mental illness and being on the right meds takes away any desire to screw up my head...and provides a strong incentive not to.
for whatever that is worth.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Julesy

I smoked weed for 20 years, drank for 15...what you describe was pretty common for me when giving up both (I gave up regular use of weed in 2002, and both booze and pot for good in 2007) but check with your Dr if you're at all worried, ok?

Two weeks is great - but it's very early in the piece - compare a fortnight to 30 years, 15 years...it takes time for mind and body to heal and to get things right.

My new manta is 'change is not an event, it's a process' - it fits here...give it time Julesy

You're doing well
Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THC the active ingredient in Marijuana stays at detectible levels in the body for over 30 days. It accumulates between the Neurons in the brain to stop or slow down transmission of signals. That's why short term memory suffers. I was still having the "Paralisys Dreams" from Marijuana 18 months after I stopped for good.

There is also a "Brain Fog" that accompanies early Sobriety from Alcohol. It can last up to 30 days as well. You have both going on simultaneously so your symptoms are not surprising. The good news is that these symptoms improve and eventually go away altogether and your memory, alertness, and motivation should all return....if you stay sober.

Vitamin B-12 (Sublingual 'dissolves under the toung' is best) and Ginko Biloba are over-the-counter supplements that help to Restore Memory if you are interested in helping progress along.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First of all Julesy, nice to hear from you again!

Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of Altztimter's (sic), from the 35 years I wasted smoking dope. I space things out fairly regularly- recently got a $50 order from my book club because I forgot to call & cancel the thing-names? I'm WORSE, & that's saying something! Short-term memory? Ditto.
Saving LOTS of money, though. don't sweat drug tests at work anymore, as someone pointed out. Hardly EVER listen to my dope-era music anymore- don't know if that's good or bad. (!)
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks All

Thanks to you all for these repiles to my post. I am learning patience!! I know it is early days.
Hey Mike - good to know you are still here. How are you doing? I have been on and off with my addictions for the most of this year, but feel I have at last got a handle on it now.
Alzheimers - scary stuff, my father had it (he's gone now) and my mother has early dementia!! Fairly obvious wots in store for me!! lol.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I smoked very heavily (about an 1/8oz a day) for over 20 years. My "normal" state was "high". I quit completely a little over 3 months ago. This is the longest I'v gone without in those 20 years since I started smoking in the first place.

My experience with quitting has been mostly positive. My head is definately clearer, my mood swings less frequent and less severe. I still struggle with depression and anxiety, but it is not as bad as it was when I was constantlly using. My memory is still fuzzy and I think it will probably not come back. Long term memory is basically a fog where bits and pieces kind of come and go. Short term memory, while still effected, is getting better.

Where is struggle is coming to terms with the reasons why I felt it necessary to be stoned out of my gourd for the last 20 years. I have some issues from my childhood that have come to the surface in therapy that are starting to provide some answers. I've found that I've replaced getting high with binge eating, I've put on almost 30 lbs in the last 3 months, and I wasn't skinny to begin with!! It's that emotional need to be "satisfied", full, if you will, that I'm battling. I also binge drink occasionally. Not every night, but once or twice a week. These are things I need to deal with, as they are not good coping skills at all. Getting to the source of my need to "escape" and finding a better way to deal with those emotions is what I am working on.

I think anyone who abuses a substance, especially a non-physically addictive one like marajuana, (notice I said non-physically addictive not non-addictive. Pot is most definately addictive!!!) has some underlying issues that should be dealt with. I would examine those, if I were you, and see if you can find a more constructive way of dealing with them.

Congrats on your 2 weeks!! The first few weeks are the hardest. Also watch out around 4-6 weeks. I've found that is often the time my mind starts trying to say "you don't really have a problem with this, you could probably just smoke a little and be ok." Can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. Hang in there, you can do it!! Take care.