Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Suboxone--how long does the antagonist affect last after cold turkey?

Notices

Old 09-02-2003, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello, I am in the middle of acute opiate withdrawal syndrome, after coming off of Suboxone cold turkey. I know that the Suboxone will cause you to have W/D symptoms if you use ANY sort of opiate, but I'm not sure how long you have to wait. The Buprenorphine/Naloxone in the pill will cause you to get sick from introduction of any other opiates into your system.

I am in terrible, interminable pain, with nausea, muscle cramps akin to charlie horses, about every two minutes, and the leg kicks so bad that I did not sleep one second last night.

If there is anyone, ANYONE out there at all, that knows something about this medication, or has taken it, could you please contact me? I am at my wits end.

Please Help
Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi BratKill...

We can share our experience with you,as far as how we got clean and what we do to stay that way.And there may be members here who have taken the same medication.But I really strongly suggest that you discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Detox can be very frightening and dangerous.It may not be something that you should do alone.Every individual is different and our reactions to drugs and to withdrawal can vary a great deal.I hope you'll get the best care that you can.

Keep posting...

phoenix
Old 09-04-2003, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Pheonix,

Thank you so much for responding to my post....I'm a new member, and currently in the throes of detox, or relapse, I'm not sure which one at this point....But it helped me feel better to see that there really are people behind the text on the screen, people who have been there and back, and have lived to tell about it.

I guess I sounded quite desperate and hysterical in my last post, It sounds silly reading over it now, but I really was about to crack from the weight of it all, the endless pain, and the inability to relax. Those are the things that drive me mad the most.

but thank you for the encouragement. I'm really glad I found this message board.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Have you thought about going to a NA meeting?
If you have gotten this stuff from a DR. you could call the office and ask about what is going on.
Probably if you continue and internet search you could also find more info. When I was coming off Paxil (this was hell too) I just typed in Paxil Withdrawal and found a whole web site on it. The site described all the withdrawal symptoms and had other peoples experiences so it was a real comfort to know what was going on with my mind and body etc.
Hang in there,
Cowboy
Old 09-04-2003, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Bratkill,
Thirty Tramadol
No more than four a day.
After one week two a day.
And walk away......

You must not mix anything with Suboxone, it is a stand alone drug and works well whe nyou are serious about quitting, otherwise follow my instruction up top.
good luck
CF
Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also quit Suboxone cold turkey

Originally Posted by BratKill View Post

Hello, I am in the middle of acute opiate withdrawal syndrome, after coming off of Suboxone cold turkey. I know that the Suboxone will cause you to have W/D symptoms if you use ANY sort of opiate, but I'm not sure how long you have to wait. The Buprenorphine/Naloxone in the pill will cause you to get sick from introduction of any other opiates into your system.

I am in terrible, interminable pain, with nausea, muscle cramps akin to charlie horses, about every two minutes, and the leg kicks so bad that I did not sleep one second last night.

If there is anyone, ANYONE out there at all, that knows something about this medication, or has taken it, could you please contact me? I am at my wits end.

Please Help
I also Had to quit Suboxone cold turkeyas of 3 weeks. Because of the cost of doctor visits and the medication iutself. To anyone thinking about suboxone I advise not to. It has been 22 days since I stopped taking Suboxone. I was down to 8 mg once a day. The withdrawals are still lingerig. But dont let that discourage you. Even though symptoms still linger there is light at the tunnell. Because every day is actually a little easier. I will tell you the process of the withdrawal I had and length of time as well. Seems no one has posted anything of that sort so here yoiu go. Day 1&2 werent so bad. A little irritating more than anything. day 3 and for just started getting miserable. diarrhea and fatigue and anxiety began aroiund day 3 or 4. Now hte hardest part is from around day 5 to 10. This is where the cold sweats broke in and the joint pains and RLS.I know it was the most horrible thing I have ever gone through. But... like I said before,"There is light at the end of the tunnell", especially if you can make it this far. Now after day 11 or so is when things started to turn for the better. every day after this actually starts to get a llittle better. Now I am not sugesting anything but I did find that smoking a little pot now and then helped to ease Anxiety, panick attacks and cravings. And the 5 hour energy shots loaded w/ vitamin B helps a litle with the Fatigue. But anyways. It is now day 22 and yesterday was probably the best day I have had so far. Had some energy to move around alittle bit and the other symptoms were less harsh and less often.So to sum it all up I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms but it is now tollerable at least. But the hardest part of qquitting is the first week and a half to 2 weeks. As hard as it is keep your head up and tell yourself outloud " can do this" over and over again. It isnt an easy road but it can be done, I was on suboxone for 2 years. Regardless of the doctors telling you its easier to come off of or whatever it is they say to get you or keep you on Suboxone, dont liusten. It is difficult . If you are thinking about it dont do it. If you are on it try to get off of it. At least here you have an idea of what to expect and for how long. I hope my miserable experience with this will help someone else. If there are any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and I hope this shed some light for you
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

I took opiates the day after taking my last suboxone. I didnt go into any type of withdrawal. I didnt totally feel the opiate either though. Since suboxone has such a long half life, it blocked most of the effects of the vicodin. Might make you a little sick, but it is not precipitated withdrawal from what my doctor told me.
However, if the situation were REVERSED, and you took pain meds and shortly after you then took the subs, you WOULD go in withdrawal.
In MY opinion, what you are feeling is the suboxone withdrawal. how much were you taking when you jumped off?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been on Sub for about ten months now after being addicted to opiates. Before rehab, I was swallowing thirty, 10mg of hydro or oxycodones per day, just to keep from being 'dope sick'.
I was started on 16mg of Sub per day. When I went out of town with my husband, I wasn't gonna have enough to last until I got back from our trip, so I cut my dose from 16mg to 8mg. The only side effect I had was that I felt a little more tired than I had been feeling. I'm still on 8mg.
If you google Suboxone, you'll find a lot of info. You should not mix other meds with sub, unless doctor approved. Also, no alcohol. It can be very dangerous.
Suboxone should be slowly tapered.
For me, it's been a miracle drug. I was addicted to pain pills for more than ten years. The sub has afforded me the time to get used to recovery, living without the obsession that I once had for those damn pills. But, I will say this...without the desire to truly get clean, and without a recovery plan in place, the Suboxone will not help. It will be 'just another pill'.
Take care,

Penny
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this thread is from 2003
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On The Road to Recovery!

hahahahaha!!!!
Sorry, thought it was funny.
(that it was that old)
lol
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on opiates for thirty years and thought suboxone would be my only way out. Now it is just another pill for me. I have been on suboxone for two years and up and down on my dosage. The doc knows I cannot afford it and encourages me to taper off constantly. It just seems so hard. I work as a waitress and the suboxone helps my back pain and to work hard. On the other hand it changes my personality and makes me a bit unpredictable. I really want to stop but know I will be sick and then how do I work? I am so tired of being on it and I cannot afford it anymore. I am the type to have trouble weaning and would do better just to be sick if I could afford it. I don't know what to do. I am supposed to be weaning now and this month I went right back up to two a day. I have to go into my doc's office with my head hung down in shame again and listen to her tell me to TAPER OFF! I really just cannot afford this anymore and wish I could just go off cold turkey. I am alone with a ten year old daughter who is relying on me and I want to be her clean and sober mommy. I hope I can do this. I am gearing up for a cold turkey quit.