Notices

Can withdrawl kill me?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can withdrawl kill me?

Hi guys I'm new on here, I've had a problem with oxycodone for 6 months now originally started taking painkillers to mask my dental pain instead of getting it treated and fell into its snare..I've been severely depressed for years and used its euphoria as an excuse to keep taking it, the generics of happiness as an excuse. I've read quite a bit around the web, And I want to quit cold turkey but from what I read I am scared it will kill me. I take roughly 30-40mg a day for the past 6 months.. and I was wondering if I went cold turkey is there any risk of dying from the withdrawal...If there is a professional which can help me answer this question I would be really greatful or anyone really who has experience or is well informed about it...I want to start on it as soon as I can but am scared. I know I have the will power but its just the fear of uncertainy that is holding me back from entering hell. Please can someone help me understand a little better.

-Dave
Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes you can die from withdrawal.

You need to see a Dr and be 100% honest about ALL substances you are taking - including alcohol and even OTC meds - and the frequency and amounts.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

First, I'm not a professional, and this isn't intended to be medical advice.

Opiate withdrawal, though it can be painful, is seldom dangerous. Typically, the biggest danger is dehydration. Your withdrawal from that amount should be mild and short-lived -- three or four days of discomfort. Have some Advil or Tylenol on hand for the aches, some gatorade to stay hydrated, take immodium if you need it and take hot baths or showers.

Do you have a history of addiction?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No history of addiction just severly depressed but I hated all forms of drugs, I went through all highschool without doing anything but drinking even though my friends we're always doing coke or E, acid, painkillers.. because of my mothers problems with drugs I sayed as far away as I could but after days of severe pain a succomd and took my first pill...At first I only used it whenever I had pain, then I began to take it when I was more and more depressed, then it became an everyday and before I knew it I had a chemical dependance and was afraid of going cold turkey because of the risks.. so I made excuse after excuse..I'll start tomorrow, I'll try to lower my intake first..I just want to get it over with..I want to go cold turkey as long as I know it will not kill me
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anyone else with some personal experience or input on the cold turkey withdrawal?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First of all, welcome to SR. As long as you're asking for personal experience, you'll probably find that you'll get a lot of response. As Sugah noted, we cannot give medical advice. We are not qualified.

You will discover that many on this forum have survived oxy withdrawal at much higher dosages and after much longer periods of use. What I will warn you about is that if you don't quit now, eventually you will be able to identify with those who have had to quit at higher doses and after a longer period of time. Oxy does not stay your friend, EVER. It will ALWAYS demand more from you than it will give, eventually.

Depending upon how psychologically addicted you are, telling at least the one who treats your depression would be a great idea. Telling everyone of your healthcare professionals is an even better idea because for some of those addicted, the physical grip of oxy is only a fraction of the psychological death-hold that it has on us.

Keep posting as you c/t. You will find that it helps to have the support.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you... tomorrow is going to be hell
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Intheshadows View Post
Thank you... tomorrow is going to be hell
Keep posting and you won't have to do it alone (though I found sitting at a computer almost too much to do much of the time). There is a lot of ES&H here.

In addition to the tried-and-true suggestions to keep hydrated, take hot baths (or showers), use ibuprofen and immodium, I found the following to be helpful for me:

1) I had a prescription for Neurontin which I used during withdrawal. You can google it in relation to opiate withdrawal. My script was for 300mg/3xday and it helped with sleeping. You may be able to get a script from your doctor. I read that it has a very low abuse potential, though it's not totally unheard of.

2) Chlonidine for RLS. You're blood pressure goes up during withdrawal anyway. This med is a high BP med and worked wonders for my restless legs (which doesn't seem as though it'll be too horrible until you're dealing with it for the second day). Again, you need to ask your doctor. If you can't ask a doctor, you can get a Catapres patch if you present to the ER in withdrawal (they won't give you the Neurontin, though).

3) Heating pad underneath my legs when I couldn't fathom dragging myself to the tub one more time, yet.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

I am trying to think of the things that helped me with the withdrawal symptoms in the beginning. Best advice I can give you? Don't psych yourself out before you even begin. Don't talk yourself into the "going through hell" mentality. Withdrawal is different for everyone.

Another tip? Try drinking tonic water (mix it with orange juice, because tonic water alone is pretty gross...unless you like it) It has quinine in it and it has been shown to be helpful with leg cramps...including mild forms of RLS. Might help you get some additional rest if you can get your leg movements under control.

Baby yourself in the beginning. Rest as much as you can. Make sure to have plenty of comfort foods on hand...things that don't require a lot of preparation. Cut up some fruit like melons to snack on...the fructose will keep you energized and the fruit helps with hydration. Lots of water, my friend. I don't like drinking plain water too much...so I made myself a HUGE gallon of crystal light ice tea (caffeine free) to keep drinking all day long. Steer clear of coffee and sodas...things that are heavier in caffeine that will interrupt your sleep or may induce RLS.

Make a "home base" in your house. If you are more comfortable on your couch...set up camp there. Pillows, blankets, a source of calm music that you enjoy, movies...your laptop near you if you have one. Keep your telephone nearby so you don't have to keep jumping up out of your home base. If you have air conditioning, turn it on...you are going to have the sweats...so you'll be more comfortable if the house is cooler.

Get as much sleep as you possibly can. No such thing as too much sleep during these first few days. Be GOOD to yourself and remember to keep your eyes on the prize. A few days of misery for a lifetime of good health and happiness.

Remember that we are here if you need us. You can always come on here as new symptoms begin and others decrease. Sometimes it can be helpful to document what is going on with you. You will get a lot of empathy and encouragement along the way.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you. *hugs and prayers*
Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're more likely to die of an asteroid colliding with your skull than to do the same in stopping that mild-moderate dose you've been taking, mind you if you're anything like me you're probably going to be wishing you'd gotten the asteroid in the melon after a few days.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Check with a doctor for specifics pertaining to you.

But in my best knowledge they just put opiate addicts in jail and let them suffer through it. People with alcohol withdrawl are treated differently.

However you do it though... the pain will be a lot less than the continued pain & agony of using.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can tell you for sure that statistically speaking, it's extremely rare for someone to die from opioid withdrawals. However, it's very common for someone to have the perception that they are dying and/or to feel very panicky in general. This due to an adrenaline imbalance caused by the cessation of the opioids. Your body has been over-producing adrenaline while you've been on this stuff in order to counteract the sedative effect of opioids, to keep you awake. When you quit, it takes a while for this process to come back into balance. This extra adrenaline also produces the some of the other w/d effects like restless legs, insomnia, and not wanting to eat.

To the best of MY PERSONAL knowledge, the only 'known' way that w/d's could cause death is through dehydration. Since you don't tend to feel like eating or drinking when in w/d's, and you will most certainly have a bad case of the runs, this is where the danger comes in. But as I understand it, typically it's only people who have medical conditions where they are unusually susceptible to dehydration that are going to be in real danger from this.

And I highly doubt that coming off of the dosages you're talking about, you're going to end up feeling SO bad that you can't bring yourself to eat or drink at all for days on end, and furthermore won't have the means or wherewithal to get to the emergency room if your situation becomes that dire.

I agree with everyone else's advice above. I just wanna add ... don't be surprised if you don't sleep at all the first couple of nights. Utter and complete insomnia is very common. Personally I recommend grabbing some Unisom or other sleep aid with the antihistamine Doxylamine Succinate in it, NOT benadryl or tylenol PM, which are diphenhydramine. Personally I've found diphenhydramine just winds you up more when you're in w/d's. Some people are 'against' taking anything to sleep during w/d's, and that's their perogative to think that way, but personally I disagree. I found the lack of having the 'break' of sleep from the feeling crappy was the one thing I couldn't take about the whole experience, and it almost made me cave during my last detox.

Bottom-line, it's gonna be three or four days of feeling really crappy, like having the flu, and then around day 5 it should 'break', and you'll feel much much better. Getting off of 30-40mgs/day is not a picnic, but it's not nearly as bad as w/d's can be. Especially if you're not doing your cold-turkey detox ... in jail.

Good luck, and keep posting. We'll try to be here for you. Most of us have been there, done that, trust me
Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 10 months clean today. Before rehab, I was swallowing 30, 10mg pills of hydro or oxycodones per day just to kee from being 'dope sick', plus snorting/smoking a hell of a lot of coke.
I was so severely dehydrated when I got to rehab, that they couldn't get blood from me for three days. I was in a rehab that gave me very little to help with the detox. I was real bad off for the first seven days, then on the 8th day, my insurance approved Suboxone.
For me, it was the sickest sick I've ever expierenced, but I'm grateful for those memories. They are what keep me on the 'straight and narrow' road of recovery.
Good luck to you and God Bless,

Penny :praying
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Everything I have ever read and with the confirmation of 3 doctors, I can tell you that opiate withdrawal will not kill you. MOST NOTABLY THE AMOUNT YOU ARE TAKING WHICH IS EXTREMELY LOW. I have quit cold turkey off of 100mg and I was told it should be a cake walk (it wasnt, but there are people on this site who quit cold turkey off 300+ mg a day and I am not exaggerating). People here can guide you with the detox process when you are ready. There are OTC meds that can make it a little less painful.
You need to have a recovery plan in place. In your case I would expect the worst of withdrawals to last 3 days. The mental could last a lifetime and it is imperative that you prepare for that to hopefully avoid relapse, like NA or therapy.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

just checking in on you...let you know you are being thought of. I hope you are having an easy go of it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

hi there--i agree with the advice and suggestions above...youre definitely taking a very, very low dose; i am one of those people that cold turkey'd off of 300mg of opiates a day and it definitely didnt kill me but at times i wanted it to--embrace the witdrawal and use it as a tool in remembering how $hitty you felt...then the next time (if there is one) you think of using, recall that memory of withdrawals and how much you went through to get off this stuff...also-

you mentioned that you had a 'chemical dependence'....i personally think if you are abusing your meds, enjoying the euphoria, etc. you are an addict and not just dependent....also, if your mother was an addict, there is some predisposition to addiction for you so i would suggest a game plan on staying sober from here on out. have you thought about what you will do after the detox? staying clean is the hardest part so i would do some serious thinking about it.

good luck and let us know how it goes--take care
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Hey, Shadows:
Fellow Jersey boy here.
This is manageable and you can do it, but stay here for support. Ask questions. Just keep checking in. If you weren't able to go c/t check in anyway. You can do this.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Intheshadows View Post
Hi guys I'm new on here, I've had a problem with oxycodone for 6 months now originally started taking painkillers to mask my dental pain instead of getting it treated and fell into its snare..I've been severely depressed for years and used its euphoria as an excuse to keep taking it, the generics of happiness as an excuse. I've read quite a bit around the web, And I want to quit cold turkey but from what I read I am scared it will kill me. I take roughly 30-40mg a day for the past 6 months.. and I was wondering if I went cold turkey is there any risk of dying from the withdrawal...If there is a professional which can help me answer this question I would be really greatful or anyone really who has experience or is well informed about it...I want to start on it as soon as I can but am scared. I know I have the will power but its just the fear of uncertainy that is holding me back from entering hell. Please can someone help me understand a little better.

-Dave
Intheshadows,

I am NOT a medical doctor. However, if you truly have been taking oxycodone EVERY DAY or frequently throughout the week for 6 months straight, its time to go the to doctor. From my understanding opiate withdrawal is almost never ever fatal. It is alcohol and benzodiazepines that will cause death via delerium tremons.

But, you do not want to have to go through hell and back just to get off a painkiller. See a Dr., they will understand, and they will help you taper down. In the mean time, write down or agree to a plan for yourself. Get into AA, LifeRing, find a group of sober friends who have your back, get in touch with god, ANYTHING that works for you.

But going to a Dr. is your top priority if you want to feel at least OK during your withdrawals. Dr.'s see this stuff all the time. You'll be fine. Make an appt. immediately. If you are out of pills, go to the ER. They won't hold you there...this is quite a common thing. Good luck! God bless.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

Originally Posted by NeverLookinBack View Post
If you are out of pills, go to the ER.
just out of curiousity and a little bit of confusion, what does the ER do if you are out of meds? do you have personal experience with this situation?

i know with my local hospital that narcotics are so rarely and i do mean BIG TIME rarely given out with a few unwritten exceptions; cancer, broken bones, c-section aftercare, et cetera and at the discretion of the docor on call...take care all-
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am 10 days into cold turkey from codiene, undoubtly the worst suffering, I have ever been through, but it is getting better, and I know now, I will never be on it again, I am so far in getting rid of it, I am full of reslove, and know I am almost there.Important to take long walks, clean up your house, do something that gets the heart working, once you get your heart working, you don't feel the pain as much.Listen to music, sing the music, this too helped me forget my pain, write lots of e-mails, again helps you forget the pain, but it is all worth it, this addiction is a beast, and needs to be treated as one, you must starve it, and kill it.