SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Question - addiction - cell phones (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/175360-question-addiction-cell-phones.html)

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 10:29 AM

Question - addiction - cell phones

Something continually happens to my AH's cell phone. He is always losing it, two fell in the toilet, he told me today it got ran over. It just happens too often to be a coincidence. I'm suspicious.....any clues:confused:?

ex D-Boy 04-29-2009 10:30 AM

probably pawning it

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 10:34 AM

For some reason I don't think he's pawning it. He keeps the same phone #, and company, has insurance sometimes to replace it, and sometimes he doesn't because he ran out of times to replace it with insurance.

ex D-Boy 04-29-2009 10:37 AM

changing actual cell phones really doesnt matter with the phone #. You can keep your same # no matter how many new or different phones you receive from the company.

As for the insurance thing, being an addict myself I know if I had no cash and a pawn shop was willing to give me 50$ for my phone and I had insurance on the phone where they would basically replace it free of charge well...it wouldnt take me long to make a decision on that one :D

or maybe hes just clumsy?

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 10:55 AM

No.... this just happens with his cell phone all the time!! I don't think he's out of money. He spends a lot on son during visits. He is usually a binger when in comes to crack, and I don't see him enough to know if and when he's binging on that, but pills are a daily thing for him.

Are cell phones trackable? Sometimes I wonder if he is getting rid of them on purpose.

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 11:20 AM

I don't worry about it, but he always tells me. He keeps everything else secret. So I wonder if theres a secret behind the phones too?

Freedom1990 04-29-2009 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 (Post 2211051)
I don't worry about it, but he always tells me. He keeps everything else secret. So I wonder if theres a secret behind the phones too?

Even if you knew the answer to that, what bearing would it have on you and your son's life?

So he tells you. It's not exactly headline-making news, no? :)

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 12:37 PM

So he tells you. It's not exactly headline-making news, no?
Boy.... why is everyone being so sassy to me???

Unfortunately, I got more answers through this one question than I expected and it's heartbreaking.:(

Freedom1990 04-29-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 (Post 2211187)
Boy.... why is everyone being so sassy to me???

Unfortunately, I got more answers through this one question than I expected and it's heartbreaking.:(

Why did you feel I was being sassy, seriously?

You say you don't worry about it, but then you're talking about being able to track cell phones, etc etc.

I was attempting to get you to focus back on what is important, you and your son.

Now that you've gotten answers, are you glad you asked? Heartbroken doesn't sound to me like it was worth getting back into his business, no?

My AD has a cell phone and I know she can't afford one. How she got it, how she manages to keep it on is none of my business, and to be honest, I couldn't care less. I'm busy living my life and taking care of me. :)

change4penny 04-29-2009 12:57 PM

Take it from some one who a recovering opiate/crack/cocaine addict now seven months clean...While i was using, I lead a double life, and I'm sure he is to. Good luck.

C4P

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 01:16 PM

Heartbroken doesn't sound to me like it was worth getting back into his business, no?
It was worth knowing, for me and son's safety. The heartbreaking part was concerning AS.

Also, last night during break at a meeting a woman was indirectly trying to sell a cell phone to me and others. Said she was going to rehab next month and the minutes wouldn't be good when she got out (30 day lapse) prepaid phone, so she is trying to sell it.....hmmmm

I had no idea cell phones were used for collateral for drugs.

I found out a lot today. Thankyou.

Angelic17 04-29-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 (Post 2210972)
Something continually happens to my AH's cell phone. He is always losing it, two fell in the toilet, he told me today it got ran over. It just happens too often to be a coincidence. I'm suspicious.....any clues:confused:?

Why don't you buy him one of those cases that hook on to his jeans. Then it will not drop in the toilet, get run over, disappear. Or whatever. I lost one in the store. But, since I have the case that hooks on to my jeans, I have not dropped my phone or left it anywhere in the past 7 years. He needs the kind of case that his phone slides in and out of, and is easy to access. It's the best thing I ever did. Let us know what happens. It wouldn't make sense for him to sell it. He needs it for his dealers, if drugs are in the picture. Maybe he just tells you that, so he doesn't have to answer your calls while he is using, or doing something he shouldn't be doing. I hope things get better for you hon.

Freedom1990 04-29-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Angelic17 (Post 2211262)
Why don't you buy him one of those cases that hook on to his jeans.

Why in the world would she do something like that for a man who has treated her like crap?

Seriously, I'm curious to see what your answer is.

It's not her job to take care of him or his lost/crushed cell phone dilemmas.

NeedingHelp7 04-29-2009 01:54 PM

Why don't you buy him one of those cases that hook on to his jeans.
I wouldn't buy him a thing, but he does have the best case on the market that hooks to his jeans or belt.

Maybe he just tells you that, so he doesn't have to answer your calls
I only call him but one day a week to discuss schedule of his and sons visit. He usually answers. Today he answered and I guess felt led to tell me his phone got ran over this time.... Lord knows when. It was just 3 weeks ago he told me he exchanged his phone because it had funny sounds interfering on it.

Now I know. This has happened too often with his phone.

Freedom1990 04-29-2009 01:58 PM

"I'd rather not hear about your phone." *click*

He'll get the idea soon.

InAnotherLife 04-29-2009 07:59 PM

Have plently of experience with this. I met my exabf abt 4 yrs ago, and did an official coun't on his cell phone losses about 2 years into the relationship. I figured out (of all that I can remember) he "lost/broke/had stolen" (SOLD is more like it...) at LEAST 39 phones... in two years! And yea, he'd replace it with the insurance, once that ran out, he'd just add a new phone line onto his plan, and suspend the old one... or just outright buy a new phone, or have his family buy a new one. Either way, lots of phones "lost". Oh, and he did admit to it... everytime, after about a week or two of asking lol. Then he'd lie about it the next time, all over again.

There were even times he'd get enough money, get his phone replaced, and a few hours later another one was sold. And yep, I've bought them back from the dealers themselves (ex said he sold it for $15, I'd end up paying $50... grrr). If only I could've known then what I know now.

Angelic17 04-29-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 (Post 2210972)

NeedingHelp, I would never tell someone to buy something for someone who treats them poorly. However, when I read this post, it said my AH's cell phone is always getting lost or something happens to it. Not my Ex addict husband. I don't know you, so I didn't realize that he treated you so poorly. If you read my post, It was written under the impression that you two were still together. And I took your initial post as though you were trying to figure out if he is really losing his phones or just ducking you or lying. I wrote that because I felt that maybe you wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Under the impression that you two were together. I had one phone that kept popping off my waist. And I eventually lost it. I was just trying to tell you that the case I bought for my phone put and end to that problem for me.
I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

Freedom, Do you understand why I told her that now? I would never tell a woman, to be so kind to a man who treats her poorly. I was misinformed.
I had a totally different impression of the situation.
I just went by what I read in the initial post.
Go easy on me honey. LOL I'm a woman too.
My first husband was an abuser, and I wouldn't give him the time of day.
He was a liar, an alcoholic, a cheater, and he is a horrible father to my son.
What more can I say,? except I understand where your coming from.
PEACE

Chino 04-29-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Angelic17 (Post 2211763)
I would never tell a woman, to be so kind to a man who treats her poorly.

Even if he treats her well, he is still an active addict. Doing anything for him that he can and should do for himself is enabling -- a huge no no for us codies.