i quit suboxone, now i'm fat - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Now with fewer opiates!

Glad this got bumped, as it was bothering me as well.

First, let's leave all of the "better fat and clean" rhetoric aside for a bit. I agree with the sentiment, but not the spirit. For me, it' s not better to substitute huge amounts of food and may have contributed to my recent need for surgery.

What is working for me is to eat more whole grains and less sugar and flour. That may sound like a hardcore 12-step group's approach and it is to some extent. For me, the more floury, sugary stuff I eat, the more I want. However, I am not one to give up breads, etc.

I've tried some of the following substitutions with success:

1) Egg beaters instead of eggs. They make an easy omelette. Tossed with two small slices of precooked bacon means real food without huge calories/fat/cholesterol.
2) Sprouted whole grain bread instead of white bread. I swear, I know it sounds over the top and new-age-y, buit it works for me. It is flour free. I still eat sandwiches, but on this bread. It fills me up and lasts longer than a loaf of white bread used to.
3) Salad dressing- I use regular Newman's brand creamy ones, but stretch it tablespoon for tablespoon with plain fat free yogurt. It really works!
4) Oat bran adds fiber, is cheap and stretches a lot of recipes. I made some rocking "pancakes" this morning with oatbran, one egg substitute and a little yogurt. (Windy...I fully expect a comment on that, BTW).
Finally, try taking a quart container of fat free, unflavored yogurt, drain it for 24 hours over cheese cloth. what remains is "yogurt cheese" but is a great base to make a custardy thick yogurt with your own sweeteners, fruit, etc. I add alcohol free vanilla and some Splenda for a sort of cheesecake thingy. It took me forever to actually try this, but it works really well.

I know this all sounds too Suzy Homemaker for words, but the bottom line for me is to eat enough, not less. Once I recognized myself subbing one drug for another (food for opiates), I had to adjust.

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time- André Gide
Stagebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

oops! double post. sorry about that...

Last edited by SteppingItUp; 04-04-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: double post - corrected version added
SteppingItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Definitely need to agree that a few extra pounds is much better than having an addiction that eats you alive. Through my addiction, I dropped all the way down to a size 2 at 110 pounds. Weird, but to be honest, I kind of liked feeling so thin. People complimented me on my figure. I kept thinking, if only you knew why I got so skinny...

I am apt to believe that my former DOC sped up my metabolism and suppressed my appetite to some extent. I rushed through a 10-day home detox through Methadone (not exactly recommended), and it basically gave me a sweet tooth out of nowhere, with a larger penchant for chocolate. I got a bigger appetite back after I finished that too. At this point, I'm around 119 pounds, which is still in the ideal/lower-middle range for my BMI, but I do feel significantly enlarged. Rationally, I know I'm not very heavy, but since my body is used to feeling thinner, weighing more just feels weird and uncomfortable. I'm definitely not hard on or judgmental toward anyone else about their weight, in personal opinion or otherwise, but it's often so easy to be harder on yourself than anyone else ever is.

I think it can take a little bit for our bodies to regulate themselves in just about every way when coming out of an addiction. Physically, emotionally, spiritually...everything goes into recovery. Immediately following the addiction, I have a feeling that our bodies and brains are reaching out for all the nutrients they can get as they begin to rebuild and restructure themselves. A multivitamin could help. I know that my whole digestive system has been doing loop-de-loops left and right since the withdrawals started.

Food can have its own comforting elements, which can sometimes be easy to get carried away with, especially if you're busy coming out of a harder time. You can think you're doing yourself a favor by pampering yourself with special treats that you normally wouldn't indulge in. However, added to the withdrawal/post-withdrawal lethargy that can keep physical activity at a much lower rate than normal, it's not too hard to figure out where weight gain might be coming from. No doubt regular exercise would do a lot to put a regulating body wherever it needs to be. If your eating habits and exercise habits are unquestionably good but your body is still feeling out of sorts, you might consider the idea that it could be something hormone related. Hormonal changes can easily have an affect on weight (and everything else, for that matter). Barring a medical issue (like thyroid or hormonal problems), managing weight is within our control. It might not feel like a priority when so much else is going on, but it's still healthy to have some level of control on the situation.

Cooking is one of my greatest passions, and I love being a very active player in the kitchen everyday. My mom was a runway model in her youth, and she swears by the Atkins thing in keeping her nice figure now. Where I live in the world, though, pasta and grains prevail, and I've never seen more fit figures in my life. In my opinion, there is nothing better than cooking from fresh, local ingredients and replacing butter and most other fats with the highest quality extra virgin olive oil you can get (especially if that means using it raw; it makes a big difference). I honestly think it's a secret to good health. I think that no-fat/low-fat diets are flawed because the brain needs good fats to function properly. If you put good fats into your system, it doesn't go out craving fats from whatever sources it can get. Lastly, I think that a whole lot of pre-packaged/factory processed foods are complicated and difficult to metabolize. I know what's in a carrot, a bean or a head of broccoli. I can't say the same for things that have ingredients with overly-manufactured names, factory-reflavorings or powdered whoop-de-dahs. IMHO, whole foods and slow food aren't hardcore. They're natural, and they're real. That's what made us into the super-humans we are today.

By the way, Bear, I'm really impressed. Seriously! Nice suggestions.
SteppingItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

I quit suboxone on August 9. I weened myself off of it. I would take ~8mg a day. After five years of taking this, I solely decided I wanted to stop. Since I quit, I have been gaining weight rapidly. I was in hysterics today when my dr. Told me I gained 8 lbs. It may not sound like a lot but I can feel the extra lbs. on my body already. My work pants are tight n it just sucks. I feel bloated 24/7. My hips and thighs have packed on the lbs. too. I was so happy with my body before this darn weight gain. I have been sitting around but I mix in yoga and ab workouts. I ran today... two and a half miles. i am going to orce myself to run as much as i need to so i can get my body back. I eat way healthy too. I can't imagine what my weight will be like a month from now. Every blog/thread I have read says suboxone withdrawal makes you lose weight... Why the hell am I gaining weight then?

In all, I'm just wondering if this weight gain is normal & will it subside? Please tell me it's a normal reaction and next month will be better. I am so upset about all of this.
Thatmustanggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thatmustanggal, there are so many variables to weight gain/loss.

You sound like you're working out a lot? Are you eating enough calories and drinking enough water? Weight fluctuations are very common after getting clean.

Maybe try something like myfitnesspal to track your calories. Did your doctor test your thyroid levels?

I've lost weight since going off subs. I practically had no muscle after years of drug use, so I too have been working out. Slowly. I make sure I eat enough to sustain my energy. Weight gain can be a trigger for me so I understand how you feel

Congratulations on quitting! Please don't let this derail your sobriety!
fancyfee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fancyfee For This Useful Post:
Thatmustanggal (09-13-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

I quit suboxone and am gaining weight uncontrollably

Fancyfee I appreciate your feedback. You should feel lucky that you are not gaining weight. I'm jealous to be quite honest. I had blood drawn today so we will see about the thyroid consistency. May I ask how long you have been off of subs for?
Thatmustanggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

I only took sub for a month and have been off since 8-1. So I can't really compare my situation to a long time user. I was on pills for 3 years daily and just wanted off the sub as quick as possible.

I hope the doc finds an answer for you that isn't too bad.
fancyfee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fancyfee For This Useful Post:
Thatmustanggal (09-13-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Good afternoon, mustanggal! Actually, I'm one step ahead of you! I'm still on suboxone and have gained 20 lbs! Lol I'm trying very hard to watch what I eat as well as excersize daily. I do have a thyroid problem and need to go for the blood test to check my TSH levels. Another thing I'm procrastinating. Lol I like fancy's idea about the myfitnesspal ap. My daughter lost 25 lbs just before her wedding from using that. I think I'm going to have to start using that also. On a good note, you are probably looking much more healthy, despite the weight gain. My hubby says I look so much prettier, such as glowing skin, healthy hair and no more bags under my eyes. Also, the added weight exentuates a curvy, sexy figure. Look in the mirror and tell me you don't look so much better without the pills?
cleaninLI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleaninLI For This Useful Post:
fancyfee (09-12-2013), Thatmustanggal (09-13-2013)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

I'd take myself being healthy and got weight on me to looking like death and on dope again. I was skinny but not healthy at all. I was slowly killing myself.

If you're not happy with the way you look change it!! Eat healthy and count your calories and start walking or join an gym!!

Tags
heroin , over eating , quit suboxone , weight gain