Notices

I finally told my folks about my addiction.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally told my folks about my addiction.

I was told in the chat rooms that I should share this little tidbit. I just got done telling my parents that I was an addict. I told all the close members of my family.

I took my last pain pill on Saturday at 4pm.. I went through withdrawals and tried to hide it from my parents. I told them I was sick with the flu. It was a lie the entire time and I felt terrible about it. Lies build on more lies. I figured I could just detox myself and then hide the fact that I was seeking help and eventually going to meetings. What was I gonna tell them? I'm going bowling?

So just a few minutes ago my entire family was together discussing whatever is going on in our lives right now..and I came clean with them. 5 days ago I came to this site with no knowledge of my addiction. But as I was detoxing I was getting information from people and reading the Big Book online and getting informed and educated about my disease.

My mother looked to me and said.. "You're not an addict"... "What are you talking about?" Then I laid out the facts to her which made this whole thing a lot easier. They didn't look at me like I was some kind of loser.. When i was
bombarding them with fact after fact. And then suddenly.. they accepted it. And it felt so good because it was the first time I was being honest with them.. The first time I was being true.. and it felt great because I had the facts to back them up.

I told them I was about to start actively seeking help and going to meetings.. going to get a sponsor and take the 12 steps. And I saw for the first time in my life some actual appreciation, love and noticed that I was taking control of my life. They knew I had issues.. but didn't know what was the bottom line that was causing the problems.. My social anxiety.. My depression.. and my seclusion. I would spend hours and hours in my room playing WOW (World of Warcraft) and never spent time with my family. I believe now that all my previous problems were cause by me being an addict.

If any of you have any doubts that you should share this with your family.. YOU MUST. You must come clean with them. You will feel a whole lot better about it and it will give you strength to take the next step. Trust me.

I hope this helps.

:ghug
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how's it going? have you made any meetings?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hard to admit the truth! I know, I had to finally admit I was mental and that lead to my problems of using. Good Job!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

P.S. Still in denial here!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Im Clean Today

what are you in denial about reedy? You have told everyone that your an addict! That is usually the hardest step! Be proud of yourself! Are you still using?

Again Be proud of yourself. You at least admitted you have a problem!